How To Get Over The Fear Of Tumbling On A Gym Floor?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 17, 2011
I am an allstar cheerleader, and have been for a few years, so i was basically raised on spring floors. This is my second year of cheerleading for school, I basically avoided tumbling at all costs last year. I have a roundoff handspring, standing handspring, and all the tumbling passes that come along with those skills such as front walkover ROBHS and handspring series. I have recently overcome my fear of standing tumbling on gym floors, but now it's time to throw running. It was easy once i finally did my standing tumbling, but I just can't bring my self to throw any running. does anyone have any ways to overcome the fear? thanks!

I know exactly what you are talking about, it is a difficult transition going from a spring floor to a dead floor. It's a shock on your wrists which can cause pain which can cause fear. My overall fear was the when I threw tucks that I wouldn't have any support from the spring floor so I wouldn't have any height to execute. It sounds lame but basically you need to just close your eyes, take a deep breathe, and tell yourself that you need to throw it and no chickening out. My coach had always told me that once you throw a skill enough you have solid muscle memory and you can throw it anywhere. It's just a thing of mind of matter. So, get a group of friends to cheer you on and just go for it. You'll most likely surprise yourself.

That's what I did so I don't know if it will help but I hope I did a little. Best of luck :)

My advice to you would be to not think about it and just do it. I've never really tumbled on springfloor so I don't know what advice to give you other than that. But if you can do a standing/running back handspring on grass, you'll fing it easier on dead floor :)

i know theres a book called mind gym and it helps with mental blocks my friend read it and she tumbles now ... idk if that will help with gym floor tumbling but you can try it

Tumble on panel mats on the gym floor first. You'll get used to the "feel" of the non-spring floor but still have the knowledge that you're on a slightly-cushioned surface.

I've been doing school cheer since 8th grade (now a senior) and I still hate tumbling on the hard floor! I refuse to do tucks, even though mine are high lol. But for running tumbling you just really have to go for it and commit. Stretch your wrists like crazy before tumbling so that won't hurt when you go.

when i first started doing backhandsprings that i could only do on a spring floor, to on grass/gym floor, i would do tumbling on a mattress at my house. as high tech as that sounds... haha. one day i took a mattress and put it in my backyard and started tumbling on it. it wasnt too bad and it helped me get over that fear. after a few times of tumbling on my mattress i just went for it on the grass. for tumbling with me, if i dont think about it and just go for it then the fear isnt there. also, repeatedly doing the skill w/o waiting too long between tumbling helps. bc i dont think about it and freak out! hope that helps any!

Back