All-Star Icu School Championships?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
As always, this could probably go in one of the school cheer boards, but I'm sure some allstar kids are involved with this and this board gets the most traffic.

I wandered over to the ICU website this morning (I was curious about the member nations), when I stumbled upon this little gem:
ICU World University Cheerleading Championship

NEW for 2012! The ICU World University Cheerleading Championship!

Registration Information

2012 World University Cheerleading Championships.pdf

**Please Note: the World University Cheerleading Championships date is one weekend earlier than listed on the initial flyer.
1. History
- Conducted in conjunction with the 2012 United States College Cheerleading National Championships.
- Already welcomes nearly 4,000 university athletes, 200 of the current top university teams in the world.
- In operation for over 30 years and televised annually on the ESPN broadcast.
- Hosted at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.

There is also a ICU World SCHOOL Cheer Championship listed, (held in conjunction with NHSCC's at Disney). Thoughts? They have some other new competitions listed (Euro School/University Comp next year, Continental Comps and one down in Barbados and Chile)..

I can't see the UK getting involved with this for a while. It's only recently that University teams have been offered a competition where they all compete at the same level. At the moment they all compete at all star levels, mainly 4 and below. I wouldn't say that most teams in this country would be ready to compete against the best in the world.

As for high schools, we have school competitions but again it's very basic. I took a high school team to a proper competition for the first time this year and the standard is ok, but really not ready to compete against US high schools.

Just my opinion on the UK's chances at this competition. As a general idea it is interesting but I don't know if there's a great talent pool outside of the US (maybe Bangkok for the university one).

I wonder if they're looking for it to do to school cheer what Worlds has done for allstar? I mean, how much has Worlds and allstar cheer grown/changed/expanded since International teams have had the chance to participate and see? Sorta how there's junior int'l competition for gymnastics...get people into it earlier?

It'll probably be slow to start, much like ICU Worlds was. Although, I wonder what this will mean for American teams? Are any planning on competing?

It'll probably be slow to start, much like ICU Worlds was. Although, I wonder what this will mean for American teams? Are any planning on competing?

We are planning on competing at the high school one at the NHSCC. I don't know how legit its going to be or how many teams will even be in our division, but I figure 1. we're already there 2. we qualify for it 3. its free (unless I missed something) and 4. our alternates get a chance to be on the mat since the number allowed is higher. It will be interesting to see what it turns out to be like, I'm not expecting much since its the first year. From what I understand it will be going on the same time as the NHSCC on Sunday. I'm not sure how they plan to work it all out!

My team just won a bid at nationals! We weren't able to compete against any other teams for the same reasons always mentioned in int'l cheer (the sport's just not established enough yet to actually HAVE competition at all levels) but there were ICU representatives there to judge us and decide whether we merited a bid or not. We've deferred it until 2013 though because raising about $100K to get us over to Florida is gonna be kinda rough, esp for college kids. Also our team roster will change as people graduate and others join… We'll probably get smashed by everyone, but it would be such a wonderful experience and honour to represent my country and university.

My team just won a bid at nationals! We weren't able to compete against any other teams for the same reasons always mentioned in int'l cheer (the sport's just not established enough yet to actually HAVE competition at all levels) but there were ICU representatives there to judge us and decide whether we merited a bid or not. We've deferred it until 2013 though because raising about $100K to get us over to Florida is gonna be kinda rough, esp for college kids. Also our team roster will change as people graduate and others join… We'll probably get smashed by everyone, but it would be such a wonderful experience and honour to represent my country and university.
Wow! 100K? I don't feel so bad for the amount we have to raise anymore!

This was talked about in the high school section:
http://forum.fierceboard.com/threads/varsity-and-uca-take-worlds-to-school-cheer.19554/

I will say again what I said in the high school thread that I do not like the idea at all because it really is catered to UCA high school and college teams. I don't think we will see any high school or college teams from NCA attending (maybe a few) so I do not think it will be a good showing of who the best of the best is.

I can't see the UK getting involved with this for a while. It's only recently that University teams have been offered a competition where they all compete at the same level. At the moment they all compete at all star levels, mainly 4 and below. I wouldn't say that most teams in this country would be ready to compete against the best in the world.

As for high schools, we have school competitions but again it's very basic. I took a high school team to a proper competition for the first time this year and the standard is ok, but really not ready to compete against US high schools.

Just my opinion on the UK's chances at this competition. As a general idea it is interesting but I don't know if there's a great talent pool outside of the US (maybe Bangkok for the university one).

WOW! This is really nice of you to cheer for us. Right now, we have a Documentary - The Cheer Ambassadors.
Hope you will like it
The Cheer Ambassadors : Watch on Prescreen

Back