OT If You Could Go Anywhere In The World?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Tosh

Cheer Parent
Nov 22, 2011
Okay, so my baby is all set for college. She did her job and got scholarships to all the schools she applied to so my college expenses in not anywhere near what I thought they would be......I have about 3 weeks of time share piled up because all I do is go to Disney (twice a year minimum). So i have been promising her a trip to Europe or Australia, and I want to go to Asia or Africia, but I am scared because I do not know anyone in any of these places and it will be just the two of us. Any ideas, recommendations, suggestions.....I want to do this for her graduation present.

ok - I have traveled to Australia, Asia, and Europe for my job. But before I answer with my favorites - what kind of experience are you looking for? Exotic, outdoorsy, museum, shopping, etc. how important is language?

You are an awesome mom! Places in those areas I've been that I would want to go back to are Barcelona (well really all of Spain), northern Italy (Florence, Pisa, Milan), southern France (Cannes/Nice area and if you do go there definitely take a day trip to Monaco), and I'd definitely recommend Hong Kong if you go to Asia. I only spent a day and a half there this summer, but I totally want to go back for like two weeks. I wouldn't worry too much about being scared there; as with any foreign country, just be aware of your surroundings and keep ahold of your purses and you'll be fine. I actually felt more secure there because at 5'5" and 120 pounds I was bigger than most of the locals ;) . If I could go anywhere in the world right now, I'd go to Greece, Australia (there are lots of Aussies on the boards so I'm sure they could help you out!), South Africa, or more of the Central European countries (Czech, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland). I'm so jealous of you and your daughter! I love to travel! Have fun!!

if i could go anywhere in the world right now it'd be either: alaska (just booked my flight, woohoo!), ireland, cape town south africa, or brazil. i mean ideally i just want to see the whole world so i'd be happy going anywhere i haven't been before.

places that i've actually been that i would highly recommend:

Mykonos/Santorini/Zakynthos/Milos/Corfu Greece (Mykonos was my absolute favorite and still to this day probably my favorite place in the entire world, but it's easy enough to travel around to see lots of different parts of Greece)

Venice, Italy

Turkey - I was hesitant about going here at first, but honestly it was an amazing life experience and probably one of my top vacations. Ephesus is overwhelmingly breathtaking. the blue mosque is, as well. and it may sound crazy but there are some of the greatest beaches in the world there, too.

I would love to go to London, Paris, Australia and Germany. I've really only been to places in the Caribbean, and Mexico and Puerto Rico. And I also want to go on the Sound of Music Tour and sing obnoxiously loud at the top of my lungs.

In the US, I'd love to go to Tennessee, Kentucky (preferably for the Kentucky Derby because I lovee horses) and anywhere where there is a Chick-fil-a because I always see people that I follow from down south tweet about how amazing it is and there really aren't any in Wisconsin. I'd like to see if it lives up to all the hype.

So fun! Two of my friends and I did a 3-week backpacking through Europe trip when we graduated undergrad (5 countries in 3 weeks for $2500, yay college budgeting skills). Best experience of my life. We visited Portugal (Lisbon, Cascais & Sintra); Spain (Barcelona); France (Paris); Italy (Florence, Pisa, Venice, Rome); and Greece (Athens & the small island of Aegina). I'd never traveled anywhere outside the US other than Canada before so this was a total eye-opening experience. Saw a lot, learned even more, and made lasting memories. Greece was my favorite, closely followed by Paris and Venice. I am absolutely going back there at some point in my life. I went to visit friends in Dublin, Ireland last year as well and would recommend that also. I feel like everyone should visit Europe at least once in their life (I know, not realistic), simply because of the history and the incredible sites. I've also been to Ecuador too which an eye-opening experience as well, but pretty opposite from Europe.

Having said that, out of your list, I think Europe is probably a place she could visit in college either through study abroad programs or visiting friends on spring breaks. I had quite a few friends study abroad over there, but no one in Asia and a few in Australia. Based on that, I think if I were you, I'd choose Australia or Asia (both on my bucket lists, so color me jealous if you do end up going). I think both have different attributes and depending on what you're looking to gain from this trip I think either could work. Honestly, I'm sure she'll be excited no matter the location. I know I would be! Let us know what you decide!

i haven't traveled abroad even for once :oops: but it would be my biggest dream come true if could go to worlds 2013 this year at orlando, florida in USA :) i've been trying to save a lot of money because the trip is so expensive.. so wish me luck! ;)

I might be going to Bali for a team meeting in April. My boss is based out of Sydney and loves Bali. I have not yet been there but heard good things.
you will have the best trip in your life, i promise :) People in Bali are so friendly and their hospitality is the best. you should visit Kuta Beach. it's great place to enjoy sunset. if you like surfing, you may visit Kuta Beach as well. Jimbaran is great place too. A lot of entertainment places, good restaurant, etc will welcome you. Tanah Lot is the place if you want to see the heritage culture of Indonesia especially Bali. there is great pilgrimage temple that you can visit. if you want to shop for merchandise, the best place to go is Joger Bali (it's near from Kuta Beach). There are many beautiful places in Bali that you can visit also! Bali Island is definitely a definition of paradise :)

you will have the best trip in your life, i promise :) People in Bali are so friendly and their hospitality is the best. you should visit Kuta Beach. it's great place to enjoy sunset. if you like surfing, you may visit Kuta Beach as well. Jimbaran is great place too. A lot of entertainment places, good restaurant, etc will welcome you. Tanah Lot is the place if you want to see the heritage culture of Indonesia especially Bali. there is great pilgrimage temple that you can visit. if you want to shop for merchandise, the best place to go is Joger Bali (it's near from Kuta Beach). There are many beautiful places in Bali that you can visit also! Bali Island is definitely a definition of paradise :)
thanks for the suggestions. will mention if it pans out. It will be a pain to fly from the US to Bali however...Likely three flights - unless I can get there in one flight from Hong Kong.

thanks for the suggestions. will mention if it pans out. It will be a pain to fly from the US to Bali however...Likely three flights - unless I can get there in one flight from Hong Kong.
you're welcome :) wow, three flights? i never imagine that! i hope you have nice and safe trip :)

If you come to Venice and want to meet a fierceboarder PM me ;) I live an hour from Venice.

Are you thinking something more cultural or more exotic? My travel bucket list right now (in order): Australia, Thailand, South Africa, Japan, Argentina. If you have the time to travel for a few weeks, I would pick the farthest destination possible.

Wow, thank you guys for all the suggestions. They all sound fantastic. Last summer we went to South America, Guyana. that is where I'm from and my daughters just loved it. So for her graduation trip I prefer to take her somewhere she will never be able to go on her own....at least not anytime soon. I know she really wants to go to Spain and France, but I think she can make this happen on her own. So I am leaning towards something where she can have a nice time and meet other young adults her age as well as have a positive cultural experience.
So keep the ideas coming and I will keep you guys posted as to my decision and the actual trip. Right now we are preparing to leave for Florida for Nationals. My baby is going for her third jacket and my youngest is going for her 1st.
So as soon as we get back I will be working on finalizing our trip!:cheering:

Back