I'm Going For It !!!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I may be wrong in this but it sounds to me more like you're opening a youth athletic program for low-income families rather than starting a business. What are your long term goals? Do you intend to grow this into a sizeable gym with it's own facility, staff etc. Or are you just hoping to be a one person head of a small program for kids in your town?

Also have you considered partnering with the gymnastics program from the beginning? Quite a few small programs in my area do this. The gymnastics gym gets the benefit of saying they offer gymnastics AND cheer, plus potential for privates and classes, and the owner/coach still gets to run their own program but doesn't have to worry about equipment, waivers, registration forms, payroll etc. because it's already in place

i'm opening a program for low-income families that i hope that someday grows into a business

certification what do i need. I know I have to take a test with usasf but that's all I know that I have to take a test. Do I have to if i'm going to coach level ones teams? and what about my stuff what do they need?
Since Yoda already answered that and I've read through the thread the only thing I have left to add is good luck. There is a whole lot you need to do and even more you need to learn. Do your research, study and hustle. And remember that you're the only one that's going to pour your heart and soul and money into this.
Financially invested customers are a much safer bet. But I understand the lure of the very noble cause of charity cheerleading. You really need to implement some safeguards to protect yourself and your personal finances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertising for the kids and word of mouth through others that you've worked with previously.

For the contracts and waivers, you need to have your attorney draft/review those. Possibly the same one that is drafting your business paperwork.

And be sure you have all your insurance for the business in place.

**EPs should only be able to designate ONE competition as a "national".**

what if the i'm under the community center's insurance? i know i still need a contract for the kids' tuitions but do i need get my own waivers?

what if the i'm under the community center's insurance? i know i still need a contract for the kids' tuitions but do i need get my own waivers?
If their insurance and you will be under their control then I believe they should provide the waiver which also protects you.

@SarahS isn't this similar to what you did wot your program?
Apologies if I tagged the wrong person

**Keep it classy or you'll be known for the wrong reasons**

If their insurance and you will be under their control then I believe they should provide the waiver which also protects you.

@SarahS isn't this similar to what you did wot your program?
Apologies if I tagged the wrong person

**Keep it classy or you'll be known for the wrong reasons**
My rec team is associated with a military base - our insurance is handled through the youth sports program on base. They cover us for cheering at football games as well as at competitions. I'm sorry - I don't have any further info on insurance, but I would doubt that the community center itself would cover it for you if you are operating as a business that is paying for the use of their facility. My all star teams are at a gymnastics gym. It is a large gymnastics gym with its own admin staff, so I don't know anything about the details of insurance.

OP- if you are planning on using a community center, you may want to consider associating yourself with the local parks and rec program and cheering for a sport for part of the year - then you can compete as a rec program. The benefits are that the parks and rec program will likely cover insurance and possibly allow you to use their facilities for free. You may even be able to start up a full-fledged all star program under parks and rec, and compete in the all star division, but with the department's help in terms of facilities and insurance. I would start there. Develop a business plan, a strategic vision for your program, how exactly you plan to help the community, and methods of implementation. Get your certifications in order and then go for it :)

I had accidentally already read the op's post and intentionally ignored it. Thanks.

[emoji56]

I'm not going to give general advice because that never seems welcomed. But I will answer any specific questions.

I think that tends to show whether this has really been thought through or not.

**ACE: we're coming to your city!**

my biggest fears are getting call ghetto elite and other gym looking down at my program and not take me seriously

Regardless of where you coach or what social class of kids you have you will run into people that make fun or try to put you down. As a coach/program director it is your job to make the kids understand their true value and to not listen to those putting them down.

**Aaaaaaand what little troll told you that rumor?**

my biggest fears are getting call ghetto elite and other gym looking down at my program and not take me seriously
That will only happen if you don't run your program well. If your program is run well and your kids compete clean, safe skills, you will gain respect. However, if your program is a hot mess and your kids look like they're competing on Wipe Out, no respect will come your way.

I'm not a gym owner, but I know that lots of gym owners have rushed into starting a program without a full idea of what they were getting into. It doesn't usually work. My advice is to do lots and lots of research, talk to successful gym owners, go to clinics and seminars, get certified and start slow.

finding coaches and a good choreographer is going to be hard. Because everyone that i know is already coaching somewhere. I don't want to steal anyone from others gym and make a bad name for myself.

finding coaches and a good choreographer is going to be hard. Because everyone that i know is already coaching somewhere. I don't want to steal anyone from others gym and make a bad name for myself.
Choreographers don't usually work directly for gyms, they work as sub-contractors. If you pay them, they will work with you.

If a low income program a paid choreographer (they can be expensive) may be out of the question. You may want to consider asking a creative friend to help you in exchange for dinner or something.

Reactions: ian
Choreographers don't usually work directly for gyms, they work as sub-contractors. If you pay them, they will work with you.

i know but i want to get a choreographer from a different state(i live in Orange County,CA) so they won't have strong relationships with any of others local gyms and get bad choreography . i'll pay for it myself if i have to i would love to get someone who has work with or from cheer athletics or stingrays all-stars. i want to get the best of best so the kids are proud to be part of my program

If a low income program a paid choreographer (they can be expensive) may be out of the question. You may want to consider asking a creative friend to help you in exchange for dinner or something.

i know the more i ever have to pay for choreography was a little over 200 dollars i was on a team of 12 and i really like the choreographer he was really good i don't know his name but i know he's a local

Last edited:
Back