I'm Going For It !!!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The gymnastics gym that i'm hoping to move to once i get over 20 kids has great tumbling coaches. i'm going to try to hire one or two.

It may be better not to hire them, but to arrange a work share agreement with the gymnastics gym for a tumbling coach. Otherwise it may feel to the gymnastics gym that you are poaching their instructors and it will not be a good foundation to build on. For example when I first came out to STL, one of our locations was at a gymnastics gym. In order to make sure I had my required hours, I also taught a day at the gymnastics gym with strictly the gymnasts. Just floor, but next thing you know I was coaching bars (my first love) and vault too. Of course they tried to hire me away from the cheer gym....thankfully I was too old to fall for that nonsense. But it did leave a bad taste in all of our mouths that they tried to pull that.

Another thing to consider. Those of us with a strong gymnastics background teach tumbling way differently than those with strictly a cheer background. We are less likely to rush progressions. Less likely to put an athlete in an higher class/team than they can already do. More likely to do more conditioning and body positioning work. Less likely to spot. A year to learn core skills in seen as normal progression and should not be interrupted. . This often clashes with the cheer mindset of tumbling which is get a skill, move up, perfect it later. After all, tryouts are coming! Parents accustomed to the cheer way may be in your email inbox with complaints about your gymnastics tumbling instructors ways, even if he/she is 100 percent correct.

It may be better not to hire them, but to arrange a work share agreement with the gymnastics gym for a tumbling coach. Otherwise it may feel to the gymnastics gym that you are poaching their instructors and it will not be a good foundation to build on. For example when I first came out to STL, one of our locations was at a gymnastics gym. In order to make sure I had my required hours, I also taught a day at the gymnastics gym with strictly the gymnasts. Just floor, but next thing you know I was coaching bars (my first love) and vault too. Of course they tried to hire me away from the cheer gym....thankfully I was too old to fall for that nonsense. But it did leave a bad taste in all of our mouths that they tried to pull that.

Another thing to consider. Those of us with a strong gymnastics background teach tumbling way differently than those with strictly a cheer background. We are less likely to rush progressions. Less likely to put an athlete in an higher class/team than they can already do. More likely to do more conditioning and body positioning work. Less likely to spot. A year to learn core skills in seen as normal progression and should not be interrupted. . This often clashes with the cheer mindset of tumbling which is get a skill, move up, perfect it later. After all, tryouts are coming! Parents accustomed to the cheer way may be in your email inbox with complaints about your gymnastics tumbling instructors ways, even if he/she is 100 percent correct.

my tumbling comes from a gymnastics background so i know what you mean

I had accidentally already read the op's post and intentionally ignored it. Thanks.

[emoji56]

I'm not going to give general advice because that never seems welcomed. But I will answer any specific questions.

I think that tends to show whether this has really been thought through or not.

**ACE: we're coming to your city!**

how do i get kids to join? and how i get Contracts and Waivers for them to sign

how do i get kids to join? and how i get Contracts and Waivers for them to sign

Advertising for the kids and word of mouth through others that you've worked with previously.

For the contracts and waivers, you need to have your attorney draft/review those. Possibly the same one that is drafting your business paperwork.

And be sure you have all your insurance for the business in place.

**EPs should only be able to designate ONE competition as a "national".**

Do you have prior all star coaching experience? If not is working for an established program possible for you to gain experience and really learn the books side?

Honestly as a parent I would prefer a coach with experience working for another successful gym that is starting a team over one with no experience.

**Keep it classy or you'll be known for the wrong reasons**

Do you have prior all star coaching experience? If not is working for an established program possible for you to gain experience and really learn the books side?

Honestly as a parent I would prefer a coach with experience working for another successful gym that is starting a team over one with no experience.

yes i do i have help coach up to level 3 teams and i have train with the best programs in my state and the country in both gymnastics and all star cheer.

yes i do i have help coach up to level 3 teams and i have train with the best programs in my state and the country in both gymnastics and all star cheer.
Are you in close proximity and on good enough terms that one of those programs may offer some advice on paperwork you should have and also help you with credentialing?

i'm doing this for families that can't afford cheer in my community and for kids that have no support from home.

Are you in close proximity and on good enough terms that one of those programs may offer some advice on paperwork you should have and also help you with credentialing?

yes but i don't want to ask because it's like saying help me steal kids from you

Advertising for the kids and word of mouth through others that you've worked with previously.

For the contracts and waivers, you need to have your attorney draft/review those. Possibly the same one that is drafting your business paperwork.

And be sure you have all your insurance for the business in place.

**EPs should only be able to designate ONE competition as a "national".**
what is the checklist i need to be fully certified as coach and program

i'm doing this for families that can't afford cheer in my community and for kids that have no support from home.

How will you live and pay your bills and the business bills? Not asking for details, just saying you need those answers.

what is the checklist i need to be fully certified as coach and program

@tumbleyoda gave you a list of the organizations. You should contact them for the details.

yes but i don't want to ask because it's like saying help me steal kids from you

If you're helping people that can't afford cheer, I doubt you'll be stealing anyone that is already cheering.

**ACE: we're coming to your city.**

I may be wrong in this but it sounds to me more like you're opening a youth athletic program for low-income families rather than starting a business. What are your long term goals? Do you intend to grow this into a sizeable gym with it's own facility, staff etc. Or are you just hoping to be a one person head of a small program for kids in your town?

Also have you considered partnering with the gymnastics program from the beginning? Quite a few small programs in my area do this. The gymnastics gym gets the benefit of saying they offer gymnastics AND cheer, plus potential for privates and classes, and the owner/coach still gets to run their own program but doesn't have to worry about equipment, waivers, registration forms, payroll etc. because it's already in place

How will you live and pay your bills and the business bills? Not asking for details, just saying you need those answers.

once i start the program i'm quitting cheer and all the money that i use to pay for it is going into my living bills plus i have job. the kids' tuitions will be pay for the business bills and i'll pay for the rest i just want to help people maybe later i'll make some money back but i already check the bills i can do without losing much money on it .

Back