I'm Too Late?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When I read her 1st post, she mentioned wanting to start an AS Cheer program, maybe in other posts she mentioned HS/MS cheer programs, but I am pretty sure she wants to know if she was too late for AS cheer program... I am just confused as to what work has she done to prepare for this program and I will think, if she had done her own research on this matter, she should have an idea of a start-up time and what the cheer population in her area are most interested in. If she does not know the answers to these questions and embarking on a new venture, maybe she should look into working at an established AS cheer gym in her area and learn about the business before diving in and starting a AS gym.
I think I got confused. Just went and reread the original post. If was later on where mentioned school cheer

Poster is a verified Cheer Dad and has the hat to prove it

I'm just gonna say yes, too late.

Based on how little information has been given, I doubt any of the basics needed to start a team have been done. Insurance, location, not to mention arranging choreography, music, competitions, recruiting kids, etc, etc!

Where are the funds coming from? What about coaches training and certifications?

I love the idea of people being entrepreneurial, but we too often encourage people that need to do the equivalent of a 3-5 year apprenticeship to find out what the hell it really takes to run a business.

The athletes' safety is too important for fly by night people that just see the glitz and glamour of competitions.

The Fierce Board: Big announcement tomorrow!!

When I read her 1st post, she mentioned wanting to start an AS Cheer program, maybe in other posts she mentioned HS/MS cheer programs, but I am pretty sure she wants to know if she was too late for AS cheer program... I am just confused as to what work has she done to prepare for this program and I will think, if she had done her own research on this matter, she should have an idea of a start-up time and what the cheer population in her area are most interested in. If she does not know the answers to these questions and embarking on a new venture, maybe she should look into working at an established AS cheer gym in her area and learn about the business before diving in and starting a AS gym.

I'm a boy and i want to start my own all star cheer program but I'm coaching a middle and high school team

I'm a boy and i want to start my own all star cheer program but I'm coaching a middle and high school team
Have you worked with allstar before? Are you USASF certified? Do you have the operating capital to start a program? Do you have a place to practice, and needed safety equipment? Do you have a plan in place for uniforms, choreography, music, competitions?

If you haven't coached allstar before, and don't have safety certification I definitely would not entrust my child to you.

if you don't have your finances in order, a solid reputation and good foundation for a business, I would not entrust my money to you.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Have you worked with allstar before? Are you USASF certified? Do you have the operating capital to start a program? Do you have a place to practice, and needed safety equipment? Do you have a plan in place for uniforms, choreography, music, competitions?

If you haven't coached allstar before, and don't have safety certification I definitely would not entrust my child to you.

if you don't have your finances in order, a solid reputation and good foundation for a business, I would not entrust my money to you.

My cheer background is strong and I'm not doing it to make money it's for the community so non profit

and i have all my certifications but USASF

My cheer background is strong and I'm not doing it to make money it's for the community so non profit

What other certification? What other organization can safety certify you to coach upper level allstar teams? It doesn't matter if you are doing it to MAKE money or not. You are still going to have to show parents that you have a solid financial plan to manage their money, and you will still need adequate operating capital. I would also want to know that you had several years allstar coaching experience before entrusting you with my child's safety. If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? Maybe it shouldn't, but that would also factor into my decision. An 18 year old gym owner wouldn't sit well with me.

Then take the next year and get your USASF credentials. If you're wanting to operate a non-profit, get your 501c3 figured out. Find a location, get insurance, buy equipment, set up a website, design a logo/practice wear/uniforms. Draft an actual business plan because you're probably going to need some kind of financial help at first. You might want to look into hiring a lawyer and/or accountant to help you figure all of this stuff out. You seem really nice and it's great you want to do this for the kids, but there is SO much more than that to operating a successful business.

I just can't. This is a guy who wants to start an allstar cheer program, or a prep team, or a rec team. He said previously he'd have them practice out of his house...he asked on FB for a logo...I just...no.

I just can't. This is a guy who wants to start an allstar cheer program, or a prep team, or a rec team. He said previously he'd have them practice out of his house...he asked on FB for a logo...I just...no.

hey i said "i'll have practices out at my house" as a joke if i couldn't find a gymnastics gym that would help and i did find a gym to help me but i didn't have the time and i wasn't asking for a logo i was asking for a company that had made logos for others cheer programs so i can buy one for my

hey i said "i'll have practices out at my house" as a joke if i couldn't find a gymnastics gym that would help and i did find a gym to help me but i didn't have the time and i wasn't asking for a logo i was asking for a company that had made logos for others cheer programs so i can buy one for my

K.

I really do like the enthusiasm. But you've got a lot to do and learn before a logo is even relevant. Go work for a gym for a couple of years first. Then hire an accountant and an attorney. Then come back and someone here can give you ideas for the logo.

What other certification? What other organization can safety certify you to coach upper level allstar teams? It doesn't matter if you are doing it to MAKE money or not. You are still going to have to show parents that you have a solid financial plan to manage their money, and you will still need adequate operating capital. I would also want to know that you had several years allstar coaching experience before entrusting you with my child's safety. If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? Maybe it shouldn't, but that would also factor into my decision. An 18 year old gym owner wouldn't sit well with me.

Yes I'M 18 but I'm close of getting my USASF certification all i have to do is the hands on test
look i can tell your a super cheer mom but my cheer program is not for kids and families like you i want to be the local family cheer gym the one that doesn't go to worlds the one that helps a family to get to know the all star cheer world and if they want to go to a bigger gym like California ,PCM and cheerforce i did my job

i have all of my paper work done i got my insurance my contracts for kids a place for practices lawyers and coaches because i'm 18 you didn't think i was going to do this
by myself and i was asking if i was too late i was just looking for a yes or no

i get why everyone was asking if i did my research and yes i have a plane for the whole thing i have done years of all star cheer and 2 of high school i went to nca,uca and worlds and over the year i did all my hours of volunteering to get my USASF certification

If you're looking for an answer yes it's too late for this year. These people are trying to help you so you don't get in over your head, I understand that it may feel like you're being attacked but you should really take their advice. Lots of gyms go under because the owner may love cheer but not have business sense - they're trying to help you avoid that ending by making sure you have more of a plan than just the fun stuff like choreo, unis, colors.

Yes I'M 18 but I'm close of getting my USASF certification all i have to do is the hands on test
look i can tell your a super cheer mom but my cheer program is not for kids and families like you i want to be the local family cheer gym the one that doesn't go to worlds the one that helps a family to get to know the all star cheer world and if they want to go to a bigger gym like California ,PCM and cheerforce i did my job

i have all of my paper work done i got my insurance my contracts for kids a place for practices lawyers and coaches because i'm 18 you didn't think i was going to do this
by myself and i was asking if i was too late i was just looking for a yes or no

i get why everyone was asking if i did my research and yes i have a plane for the whole thing i have done years of all star cheer and 2 of high school i went to nca,uca and worlds and over the year i did all my hours of volunteering to get my USASF certification
I am honestly not attacking you, but just trying to help you think this through. If you don't have USASF certification now, then there is no way based on how they certify that you can get certified beyond level 2 this year. You have to have coaching experience to do that. Cheering allstar and going to wolds is no where near the same thing as coaching. I would strongly suggest you find a coaching job at an allstar gym and get you certification for all levels before starting your own gym.

Small gym or large, the same safety concerns exist, and participating on a team doesn't prepare you to handle them, coaching under supervision and going through the certification process does. Are your coaches USASF certified? I think every coach needs to be certified for the levels they coach before stepping on the mat. You are trying to do a good thing here, no doubt, but I just don't think its wise or safe to open a gym without any allstar coaching experience.

FYI: I am the parent of a youth aged level 2 kid who will likely never be a worlds athlete. We don't go to a big name gym, but her safety is still the most important thing to me. Our small gym offers quality coaching in a safe environment. Even if she couldn't do a forward roll, I wouldn't send her to a gym without safety certification. Injuries can occur on level 1 just as easily as level 5, probably more so when you are working with inexperienced athletes who have had no exposure to cheer like you are looking to reach.

As for the legal and financial aspect, have you had any training in financial management? It would probably be a good idea to work under and allstar director of an established program and learn how the do things before venturing out on your own. I really think you are in over your head here.

I am honestly not attacking you, but just trying to help you think this through. If you don't have USASF certification now, then there is no way based on how they certify that you can get certified beyond level 2 this year. You have to have coaching experience to do that. Cheering allstar and going to wolds is no where near the same thing as coaching. I would strongly suggest you find a coaching job at an allstar gym and get you certification for all levels before starting your own gym.

Small gym or large, the same safety concerns exist, and participating on a team doesn't prepare you to handle them, coaching under supervision and going through the certification process does. Are your coaches USASF certified? I think every coach needs to be certified for the levels they coach before stepping on the mat. You are trying to do a good thing here, no doubt, but I just don't think its wise or safe to open a gym without any allstar coaching experience.

FYI: I am the parent of a youth aged level 2 kid who will likely never be a worlds athlete. We don't go to a big name gym, but her safety is still the most important thing to me. Our small gym offers quality coaching in a safe environment. Even if she couldn't do a forward roll, I wouldn't send her to a gym without safety certification. Injuries can occur on level 1 just as easily as level 5, probably more so when you are working with inexperienced athletes who have had no exposure to cheer like you are looking to reach.

As for the legal and financial aspect, have you had any training in financial management? It would probably be a good idea to work under and allstar director of an established program and learn how the do things before venturing out on your own. I really think you are in over your head here.

i get that safety is a big part of cheerleading i'm 6'2 and big i would never let a kid get hurt i know how to keep kids safe also i come for a long line of business owners so i know what it takes too have a good business and i'm going to take everyone's advice to take volunteering job at a gym and learn what it takes to own one

Back