Individual Tumbling Competition Skills

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 22, 2021
Hi there. My daughter just turned 8 and we are at a small gym in Texas. She does level 3 and 4 tumbling skills; but does Allstar D2 with a Mini L1 team. She just started doing individual tumbling competitions with her gym and we are trying to work on new more advanced tumbling passes. She has a lot of single skills or one or two connecting skills, but the gym she is at doesn't work on teaching combinations. She front and back walkovers, multiple back Hand springs running and standing, has a standing back tuck. Roundoff BHS tuck, she has Roundoff BHS Layout. She has an aerial. She is working on her 1/2 on the floor. Working on punch front on the floor. She can do a Full, 1 & 1/2 and a Double full on the trampoline. The question I have is what are some connecting skills she can start doing at the individual competitions for a running tumbling pass.

The 1st Competition she did running round off BHS Back Tuck.

The 2nd Competition she did running round off BHS Layout.

She has placed 1st (out of 5 kids) in both competitions.

She wants to start doing some skills that connect but really don't know where to start.

Instead of progressing to Level 5 skills and straight BHS t0 full, what about adding skills to create speciality passes with her Level 3 & 4 skills?

Example: cartwheel, front walkover, BWO, front handspring, aerial, punch front step out, end in tuck. etc.

It also benefits her in the long run because as she progresses in cheer and/or goes to another gym, speciality passes are pretty much a requirement to make a level. Example: A kid is not going to make Level 4 with just 3 BHS to a layout for tumbling. Most kids competing at competitive level 4 have combo passes.

Instead of progressing to Level 5 skills and straight BHS t0 full, what about adding skills to create speciality passes with her Level 3 & 4 skills?

Example: cartwheel, front walkover, BWO, front handspring, aerial, punch front step out, end in tuck. etc.

It also benefits her in the long run because as she progresses in cheer and/or goes to another gym, speciality passes are pretty much a requirement to make a level. Example: A kid is not going to make Level 4 with just 3 BHS to a layout for tumbling. Most kids competing at competitive level 4 have combo passes.

Thank you, that I guess this what we were trying to see is what else can she work on with out going on the the Level 5. We aren't looking to change gyms, but they rarely work on building off of the current skills with a combination. Since she has some of the basics of a L3 (tuck) or L4 (layout), what can she do to add a little more value to her individual scores with out twisting motion. Her being at a small gym, I like her being in with the same age kids, but she likes to push herself with her tumbling skills which is why we started letting her do individuals.

Back