All-Star Individuals...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

MomOf2ThatsMe

Cheer Parent
Feb 18, 2011
My older cp is interested in doing an individual next year. How does your gym handle these? For those of you who have kids who have done them, how much did they cost. For the cheerleaders, if you did one, how did you like it. Also, cp isn't up there in skill level, and since I have seen what most mini's skill level at big nationals is like (leve 3-4-5) I honestly don't think she would be very competitive. My younger cp is going to do a half-year team that goes to smaller local comps. I was thinking about seeing if the older cp could just do her individual there. Does that sound like a good option for her, so as to not burst her bubble?

Happy only allows it in very rare cases. Too much risk.

I'm curious... how does one get injured more doing an individual versus a regular routine? I'm not trying to be indignant, just trying to wrap my head around it.

More to do with overuse type issues. If an athlete is practicing twice a week for 2+ hours and doing a tumbling class for another 1.5+ hours, there is additional risk as they continue to increase that time.

More to do with overuse type issues. If an athlete is practicing twice a week for 2+ hours and doing a tumbling class for another 1.5+ hours, there is additional risk as they continue to increase that time.

Ahhhh! I get it! Thanks! So do they only allow most kids in your gym to be on 1 team then?

That's nice. Refreshing to hear of another gym that doesn't have 80% of their kids doing 2 & 3 teams :) To each their own though!

My daughter does individuals, our gym has a complete list of costs, and competitions when you decide to do them. You pay for your music, your routine choreography, once a week indy practices for the season, and the competition fees. If you look some offer leveled indys. I know American Superstarz, and Universal Spirit Nationals in Richmond does it that way. I have seen it help build confidence, and some kids just really like it!!

I personally do individuals, and so do other girls at my gym.
Our coaches let us decide where we get choreography from....I get mine from our choreographers that do our team routine. But I also do a lot of younger (mini and youth) girls routines for them. They notify us when there are individuals offered at competitions we compete at.

American Cheer Power does great with individuals and there is a lot of different categories.
If you go to the site it explains all of their requirements for the category. and if your daughter is not a strong tumbler they have a crowd pleaser division that is a non tumble routine. and if she can tuck they have a best cheerleader which is tucks and under and elite best is twisting and under. and they have specialty categories like jump only, tumble pass, and cheer only. they also go out to Vegas and give out scholarship money for winners of the Varsity categories. I personally really enjoy their competitions.

indiviguals are really less focused on competition and more focused on like doing what you like to do and having your team watch you perform. I never focus on my placement when doing indivuguals everyone gets the same sized trophy and way and it not like your team is going against them.

In our area an individual routine and music cost is about $150. For younger kids who are new to the sport an developing confidence or kids who have an excellerated skill beyond the team they are on, it' a great way to use your skills or develop new ones. American Championships levels individuals like teams.

Beyond that I don't like them at all. They distract from the TEAM effort that is the priority, the risk of injury as ACEDAD mentioned. It also doesn't work when two girls are on the same TEAM and both doing individuals. Tends to create a me vs. you which neither of those words are in TEAM.

this year is the only year i didnt do a individual because my new gym "didnt do individuals" i loved them it helped me build alot of confidence.

Latest posts

Back