All-Star Injury Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Is she a base or flyer? CAN she stunt and/or tumble? They make a soft brace that is allowed. My Cp wore one at Summit whole recovering from an injury.

**Not intended to be medical advice.

As a coach I would say - if it was bad enough to put a boot on it, she likely should sit-out the competition.

BUT we all know how head strong athletes can be, and how sitting out just might not be in their vocabulary. If she is insistent on competing & parents/ coaches are in support, I would say modify so she does definitely NO tumbling, and get her one of those lace-up braces with velcro (also dependent on the type of sprain...) and have her strictly stunt. Limited to no practicing outside practice gym and competition floor.

But like I originally said - and most would probably agree with. Just have her sit out. There will be other summits. Other cheer competitions, no need to risk life-long damage. Just my $0.02

If she is allowed to walk on it with a soft brace, I don't see where basing would be a risk. If she has to be in a boot at all times, that is another story.

If she is allowed to walk on it with a soft brace, I don't see where basing would be a risk. If she has to be in a boot at all times, that is another story.
Yes, this. My Cp was cleared by the dr to base and dance (no tumbling, no jumping.) Definitely check with the dr!

**Not intended to be medical advice.

As a coach I would say - if it was bad enough to put a boot on it, she likely should sit-out the competition.

BUT we all know how head strong athletes can be, and how sitting out just might not be in their vocabulary. If she is insistent on competing & parents/ coaches are in support, I would say modify so she does definitely NO tumbling, and get her one of those lace-up braces with velcro (also dependent on the type of sprain...) and have her strictly stunt. Limited to no practicing outside practice gym and competition floor.

But like I originally said - and most would probably agree with. Just have her sit out. There will be other summits. Other cheer competitions, no need to risk life-long damage. Just my $0.02

I totally get where you are coming from. Like you said though, hard for the athlete to say no. This will be her first Summit.

As for the boot, my daughter has one (as well as the lace up brace). I offered them both. Hoping she can use the lace up but also had the boot just in case.

This is a really tough break for the athlete but it is my opinion that even if she could theoretically compete this weekend she should not. I brought this up earlier this week during a discussion about a current worlds athlete who has been competing all season and I will say the same thing here. It is not worth it in the long term. Competing on injuries makes them worse in the long run and messes up the healing process. I know kids are stubborn (i was about this) but its in her long term interest to allow herself to heal. I have some old cheerleading injuries that I competed on and didn't allow time to heal and now that I am older I really regret it because I am sometimes in a lot of pain and I feel like that would not be that case if I had given my body the time it needed. There will be other competitions.

Another concern with ankle sprains is Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, it's very common until the swelling goes down. The swelling often causes pressure on the tibial nerve, and that causes peripheral neuropathy. I can't imagine not feeling my foot while stunting, let alone getting up and down to nugget in the back on an unstable ankle.

She did not compete. They replaced her at showcase :( . She couldn't bare any weight on it by then. She still went down but wasn't able to compete. I felt so bad for her. Like I said, it was her first Summit.

Back