Is 20 Too Old For All Star?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@Deshakayy, based on your background, I think chronologically you are 20, but physically, still a teenager. I also think, the dancing background should help you with cheerleading... Girl, get out there and cheer!

PS: @Deshakayy, I have a question for you, Do you think 50 is too old to cheer? I cheer in high school and was on a dance team in college and spent the last 15 years, dancing in my bedroom, livingroom and occasionally, at weddings.Yes, I been told, I cheer real loudly on the sideline at AS cheer competition What do you think? Am I too old to cheer?:cheering:

I joined my first all star team was when I was 20 years old. I'm 28 now and just finally retired, so you're definitely not too old.

Those gyms you mentioned have very competitive open teams, so you might have a hard time making it, but you can always try - or find another team. Level 6 tends to not be quite as competitive and some gyms have open 4 teams.

You didn't post much about your tumbling abilities - do you have level 5 tumbling skills? I think it would be pretty hard to make a level 5 team if you don't have solid tumbling skills.

You didn't post much about your tumbling abilities - do you have level 5 tumbling skills? I think it would be pretty hard to make a level 5 team if you don't have solid tumbling skills.
Maybe most IO5 teams are less stringent about that? Or does that apply more to level 6?

Hello my name is Desha! I'm 20 and a college student I've always wanted to be involved with all star cheer but could never afford it growing up, so now that I'm an adult and most of my schooling is currently paid for I've decided to venture out and live life with no regrets I found an ioc5 team about 1.5 hours away from my college which is very affordable and I think I'm going to take a leap of faith and tryout this September. Now here's a little more information.
1. I've had 3 years of cheer experience (high school & community college)
2. I'm 5'7 120 lbs and was always a backspot
3. As almost every cheerleader says I WANT TO FLY (coed at least)

My main questions are
1. Am I too old to start this sport now?
2. I'm looking into transferring schools next year to TCU so I'm looking at switching gyms possibly to Cheer Athletics or SOT
So would it be smarter to tryout for a team and if I make it compete for a year then stay or switch (depending on if I transfer) or should I just continue to take my tumbling/stretching/tumbling classes instead?
4. I know with younger teams there really is a level for everyone but as an "adult" athlete I feel like I'll be really behind all the other athletes who have been cheering for years.

And one last question to any collegiate cheerleaders I've thought about cheering in college obviously because I'd get to do what I love and it could be covered by the school but I'm a musical theatre major so I'll be involved in shows and have performance requirements so I don't know how well those two would mesh...

I've also just considering joining the dance team because I have more technique and training as a dancer than I do a cheerleader (dancer for 11 years) but there's something about cheer that draws me in. It's like the same adrenaline I get from performing onstage but it's also different.

Anyway I'd appreciate any advice I can get!
Also if you cheer at TCU, CA, or SOT your advice would be awesome or if you anything about their ioc5 teams or collegiate cheer/dance team feel free to fill me in!
In my opinion, you are never too old to live out your dreams. If you can physically handle it, go for it

You're definitely not to old, Open level 4.2 teams are a good place to start when you're over 18, and may not have enough level 5 or 6 skills for a Worlds team. I started cheer at 25( I took a few years off, so I could get OSAP without my parent's being a factor) on my college level 4.2 team, then made the level 6 team the following year. If you work on taking care of your body, eat right, and take the time to learn the skills properly you could very much hang in the cheer world in adulthood.

You're definitely not to old, Open level 4.2 teams are a good place to start when you're over 18, and may not have enough level 5 or 6 skills for a Worlds team. I started cheer at 25( I took a few years off, so I could get OSAP without my parent's being a factor) on my college level 4.2 team, then made the level 6 team the following year. If you work on taking care of your body, eat right, and take the time to learn the skills properly you could very much hang in the cheer world in adulthood.
While Open 4.2 is a great option for many athletes starting cheer later or that want to continue without higher level skills, it is not an option in the US.

While Open 4.2 is a great option for many athletes starting cheer later or that want to continue without higher level skills, it is not an option in the US.

If 4.2 isn't an option past 18 in the US. There is likely Open 4. Which I don't think competes at Worlds though. I'm not super on top of American divisions.

Is 19 too old? I suppose this falls into the same category as 20. But I don't have the skills to be on a high level team and most open teams are higher levels...

I competed at worlds for the first time last year and I was 26 soooo.. no haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back