Is This Normal Coaching?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thank you all very much for your input. I appreciate hearing your opinions and I especially appreciate the opinions from the coaches

I think it's okay for a coach to be frustrated. As long as they aren't saying things like, "Your tumbling is terrible," or, "I'm regretting ever putting you on this team right now." It's okay for a coach to yell, I guess, but they only yell at you and stuff to make you better. Although it seems that they yell at you because they hate you, it's really because they really care about you and want to make you the best you can be. But with other coaches, it's a different story.

my coach my first two years of high school cheer used to yell at us all the time. she would also pick out specific people and pick on them--she once told a freshman that she "sucked" and "stuck out like a sore thumb." the poor girl had never cheered before in her life and we were only a few weeks into the season. on the other hand, this coach taught me everything i know about technique and even though there were times when i was afraid to come to practice and get yelled at, she made me a lot better and learning to deal with her made me a lot stronger.

i think sometimes coaches need to yell so people will pay attention, but there's a big difference between yelling at the whole team because they aren't going full out/aren't focusing/something like that and singling out one person and insulting them in front of the whole team.

i can see why coach's get mad if your goofing off, but if your team has youth and junior age girls on it i dont think she should be talking like that at all.... your coach is there to encourage you not make you feel bad about yourself

Where are your parents through all of this? I know some gyms have a closed practice policy so they may not realize that this is going on, but they need to be made aware of this. With all of society's pressure on kids today, you don't need the extra stress of worrying about being humiliated by a coach as well as peers. This is just cheerleading, it is not the end of the world. I know that we are all fanatical about cheer, but if you wake up tomorrow and you are never allowed to cheer again, the world will keep on spinning. And 20 years from now, cheer will just be a memory, it's up to the coach and you to decide whether it is a pleasent and character building memory or a traumatic destructive nightmare!!

Back