Is your highschool cheer coed

• Yes

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Yes but no guys

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
My cp is stressed that they won't be ready when football starts. They weren't last year and she was really embarrassed about it.

Tryouts were in late April, they had trouble finding a coach. Then, she didn't want to do it alone. She found someone to help.

Pray those practices and camp are productive!

Gotcha! Props to your CP for sticking it out, I remember your posts from last season and I hope this season goes better! It's not fun to cheer if you don't feel prepared. Praying the practices are productive and the season is a positive experience for your CP!

That is a bummer, and strange, that they didn't hold practices at all after tryouts. I feel like that would be the best time because there are no vacations and everyone would be able to attend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha! Props to your CP for sticking it out, I remember your posts from last season and I hope this season goes better! It's not fun to cheer if you don't feel prepared. Praying the practices are productive and the season is a positive experience for your CP!

That is a bummer, and strange, that they didn't hold practices at all after tryouts. I feel like that would be the best time because there are no vacations and everyone would be able to attend.

Thanks! I was shocked at no practices, but I am not the coach.

Thanks! I was shocked at no practices, but I am not the coach.

A lot of schools don't even let teams practice in summer. We meet twice a week all summer but they are not allowed to be "mandatory" until official season in mid August. We get a good turn out because girls know that have to put in work to compete, but we rarely have a full team practice in the summer. We did have mandatory practices before school let out in June... They should be just fine if they work hard at camp!! Hope this year is much better for you both!

Do you know why they allow it? I feel like that's just so strange.

Not cheer, but for football and basketball in TN, when the middle/junior high teams' seasons were over, the 8th grade players could play for high school. But, they have to be physically at the same school.

Our former school was pre-k through 12 and could do this.

Not quite the same, but a variation of the rule.

Do you know why they allow it? I feel like that's just so strange.

In SC the SC High School League (the high school sports governing body) determined that any rising 7th grade athlete was allowed to compete in a noncontact sport at their respective high school provided their middle school did not have that sport. The SCHSL doesn't mandate that the team has to be Varsity or Junior Varsity. So pretty much every sport except football, basketball, and baseball are allowed and generally middle schools have those teams or the high school has a Varsity, Junior Varsity, and then a "C" team where the middle school students can compete. The SCHSL does state that in order to compete on a HS Competitive Cheer team you must also participate on a school sideline cheer team but it can be the middle school sideline cheer team or one of the HS ones. Each Coach and/or Athletic Director determines any restrictions on the Varsity/Junior Varsity team placement.

In SC the SC High School League (the high school sports governing body) determined that any rising 7th grade athlete was allowed to compete in a noncontact sport at their respective high school provided their middle school did not have that sport. The SCHSL doesn't mandate that the team has to be Varsity or Junior Varsity. So pretty much every sport except football, basketball, and baseball are allowed and generally middle schools have those teams or the high school has a Varsity, Junior Varsity, and then a "C" team where the middle school students can compete. The SCHSL does state that in order to compete on a HS Competitive Cheer team you must also participate on a school sideline cheer team but it can be the middle school sideline cheer team or one of the HS ones. Each Coach and/or Athletic Director determines any restrictions on the Varsity/Junior Varsity team placement.

Huh, interesting. Thanks!

A lot of schools don't even let teams practice in summer. We meet twice a week all summer but they are not allowed to be "mandatory" until official season in mid August. We get a good turn out because girls know that have to put in work to compete, but we rarely have a full team practice in the summer. We did have mandatory practices before school let out in June... They should be just fine if they work hard at camp!! Hope this year is much better for you both!
Our sports teams practice. Football, basketball, soccer-- not sure about golf and some of the others. Even band practices!

We aren't a sport, but do fall under our state's high school athletic association as an activity. Our former coach had delusions of competition, but did nothing to prepare and, thankfully, it never happened.

Cp is currently at her first mandatory (unless you had previous plans) practice.

I'm the only boy on the JV team, but I can't tumble. My coach wants me to be super flexible so she has me do stretches and insanity exercises to build up muscle. I'm allowed to compete but we don't go to UCA sadly.

I'm the only boy on the JV team, but I can't tumble. My coach wants me to be super flexible so she has me do stretches and insanity exercises to build up muscle. I'm allowed to compete but we don't go to UCA sadly.
I cant tumble either my jv isnt coed but they're talking abou it i want to make carsoty but i dont really know if i will (tryouts the 10th of august)

That's how it is for me in MA! I held tryouts in June, but can't hold anything mandatory until August 24th. I'm allowed 3 days of camp between then, lol, which is better than nothing I suppose !

I have set up optional/open tumbling & conditioning. These cant be mandatory, and I cannot be present. Tumbling 1 day a week & conditioning 2 days a week. This started beginning of July. So far we average about 10 girls at the open tumbling, and about 5 girls at the conditioning... Out of a team of 24 girls!

That's how it is for me in MA! I held tryouts in June, but can't hold anything mandatory until August 24th. I'm allowed 3 days of camp between then, lol, which is better than nothing I suppose !

I have set up optional/open tumbling & conditioning. These cant be mandatory, and I cannot be present. Tumbling 1 day a week & conditioning 2 days a week. This started beginning of July. So far we average about 10 girls at the open tumbling, and about 5 girls at the conditioning... Out of a team of 24 girls!

Wait...if you can't be present who is allowed to be there (other than the girls)?

Wait...if you can't be present who is allowed to be there (other than the girls)?

Tumbling they go to a gymnastics academy with certified, top level gymnastics instructors. Their parents pay for this out of pocket, so it's basically a group private.

Conditioning days they do circuit workouts either at a gym or in a backyard, with just the girls present. At conditioning no tumbling or stunting can be done. Conditioning days are put in place to basically work up stamina, and so the girls are not being lazy in their "off" season.

Our first day of full team stunting & tumbling will be done at our camp day on August 15th, then we won't be together again until the 24th August where we are allowed to condition & learn cheers until the 26th, then on the 27th we are officially "in season" and can start stunting, tumbling, jumping & choreography.

A lot of teams in the state sadly do not abide by these rules and start before the start date/hold practices with the coach present other than the 3 alotted camp days..., but I keep to them as I do not want to jeprodize my girls!

Got to love MA & MSSAA !

Back