All-Star January 2016 Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This isnt intended to start a war, it's a legitimate question from those better (clearly) at routine analysis than me. I watched F5 and Senior Elite and for the life of me I'm not understanding the scores, not just in deductions but in execution as well. Can somebody help me understand how F5 put a better routine on the mat? (Without the typical LAG freaking out teal v anti-teal argument) I'm just interested in analysis here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. I don't see it either, but I'm no judge so I may be missing something.

I hope the girl on Reign is okay btw :(

I love the changes to F5's routine! You can definitely tell that took the judges feedback from their previous competition and tweaked some things! Now the opening of the routine feels like a true F5 opening! There are parts of their music that I love and others that are beginning to grow on me! I would love to see this routine to what I would call a traditional F5 divalicious mix!!

Why is the red-head girl on SSX STILL doing that standing full? I don't think I've ever seen her actually get it all the way around.

Ouch!! Maybe check out day 1 or 2 from Smoed Worlds 2015! I'm pretty sure she competed it both days and didn't receive a deduction from what some would consider the most well knowledge judges in the industry for an incomplete rotation!!

Ouch!! Maybe check out day 1 or 2 from Smoed Worlds 2015! I'm pretty sure she competed it both days and didn't receive a deduction from what some would consider the most well knowledge judges in the industry for an incomplete rotation!!
i honestly think it looked worse during smoed worlds then it does in the ssx video. And she was front and center in smoed's opening. Ive never been a fan of standing fulls in cheer routines, almost all of them look bad in my opinion, and its probably due to the fact that they dont spend enough time on technique, like say gymnastics.

its like "hey can you get all the way around and land on your feet?, then its good enough to put in a routine" when half of them look like spinning balls of death, and to be honest if your feet dont even go over your head then why bother trying to do one.

which brings me to the fact that if you cant get your feet over your head when doing one, then it should be a deduction of some form.

i honestly think it looked worse during smoed worlds then it does in the ssx video. And she was front and center in smoed's opening. Ive never been a fan of standing fulls in cheer routines, almost all of them look bad in my opinion, and its probably due to the fact that they dont spend enough time on technique, like say gymnastics.

its like "hey can you get all the way around and land on your feet?, then its good enough to put in a routine" when half of them look like spinning balls of death, and to be honest if your feet dont even go over your head then why bother trying to do one.

which brings me to the fact that if you cant get your feet over your head when doing one, then it should be a deduction of some form.

I don't know that I have ever seen a completely LAID OUT, non-balled over standing full.

Just because she wasn't deducted doesn't mean she is performing the skill safely or with proper technique. It's always looked bad and I don't know why her coaches haven't fixed it or just taken it out.

@oncecoolcoachnowmom A lot of gymnasts (Shawn Johnson, Jordyn Wieber, Gabby Douglas) have competed tucked standing fulls on beam. I don't think there's anything wrong with tucked standing fulls if they're done properly, but not a whole lot of cheerleaders do them correctly. Ragan Smith does a piked standing full where she's laid out for the majority of the skill. I don't know if it'd be possibly to do a true laid out standing full without piking it down.

I don't know that I have ever seen a completely LAID OUT, non-balled over standing full.
I've always thought that was just what standing fulls looked like since I think of them as an upgrade to a standing tuck, unlike running fulls which are supposed to be an advancement on to layouts. I have seen standing doubles which always seem to be pretty straight- I think it's impossible to get around twice without straightening out.

Also is there a such thing as a standing layout? (Never heard of it but I know there are plenty of gymnastics skills that haven't crossed over into cheerleading.)If that's possible than surely standing fulls would be derived from them.

Last edited:
I've seen a few from boys on teams like Wildcats, Nfinity, OO5, etc. But I mean like less than 5 lol. I do feel like most of the ones I see from gymnasts aren't drastically different than most ones I see in cheer, meaning more tucked than laid out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back