All-Star Jump/flexibility Drills

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 31, 2010
I teach a Jump/Flex class at my gym with 30 minutes devoted to flexibility drills and the remaining 30 minutes devoted to jump drills. The girls really seem to be improving in both areas but I feel like I'm repeating the same drills week after week and I don't want them to get bored or even plateau.

If anyone has some jump and/or flexibility drills that they would like to share that would be awesome!

Thanks!

This isn't really a drill, just a game, but it can help with improving jumps. Everyone got in a circle (there were
5 of us I think) and we'd pick a person to go first. They'd do a jump, then the person next to then would have to so the same jump then add another one onto the end. We went around the circle like this until someone with forgot the next jump or physically couldn't add on the next (or it was too sloppy). This person would be out and they'd have to stay in prone/ front support etc while everyone else continued until there was a winner. Instead of prone or whatever, you could maybe do the leg lift drill (where they sit on straddle and lift their legs) or maybe do other jumps drills. Hope this helped :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

This isn't really a drill, just a game, but it can help with improving jumps. Everyone got in a circle (there were
5 of us I think) and we'd pick a person to go first. They'd do a jump, then the person next to then would have to so the same jump then add another one onto the end. We went around the circle like this until someone with forgot the next jump or physically couldn't add on the next (or it was too sloppy). This person would be out and they'd have to stay in prone/ front support etc while everyone else continued until there was a winner. Instead of prone or whatever, you could maybe do the leg lift drill (where they sit on straddle and lift their legs) or maybe do other jumps drills. Hope this helped :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
i love that! thanks!

I have a jump question: I have enough flexibility to get extremely hyper-extended toe touches, but everytime i do them, i am SO LOW to the ground that i land right on my butt. Every time. How can i jump higher off the ground? I've tried everything, weights, exercises to increase leg strength, and i just can't get off the ground!!

I have a jump question: I have enough flexibility to get extremely hyper-extended toe touches, but everytime i do them, i am SO LOW to the ground that i land right on my butt. Every time. How can i jump higher off the ground? I've tried everything, weights, exercises to increase leg strength, and i just can't get off the ground!!
Focus on strengthening your hip flexor muscles.

Leg lifts, and try using ankle wights at some point. Also, it helps to actually do the jumps for practice.

Last edited:
Back