Jump Training & Tumbling Conditioning??(:

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 31, 2011
Jumps:
Does anyone have any jump drills they can do at home for the toe touches, pikes, and hurdlers?

Tumbling:
Does anyone also have any conditioning methods they do at home to help with standing back tucks? Thank you!:)

Jumps: I stretch every single day. Stretch your quads and hamstrings as well at your core to help you maintain good form. Do jumps everyday, the only way to know if theyre getting higher and more flexed is to practice practice practice.
Tumbling: There are so many things I do to condition for tumbling. Of course STRETCH everyday! Its so important. Specifically for a back tuck, do a lot of core work (work your abs, etc), and do straight jump drills (jump up like you would before doing a standing tuck, jump and tuck your knees to your chest).
Hope this helps, good luck!

Jumps: I stretch every single day. Stretch your quads and hamstrings as well at your core to help you maintain good form. Do jumps everyday, the only way to know if theyre getting higher and more flexed is to practice practice practice.
Tumbling: There are so many things I do to condition for tumbling. Of course STRETCH everyday! Its so important. Specifically for a back tuck, do a lot of core work (work your abs, etc), and do straight jump drills (jump up like you would before doing a standing tuck, jump and tuck your knees to your chest).
Hope this helps, good luck!
thank you!
i actually was just about to ask for tuck drills!

For tumbling I always did candlestick drills and hollow-body holds. Plus core work.

For jumps, I would do leg lifts. Sit on the ground in a straddle and lift each leg and then both together..be careful though, for me my hip flexor muscle is prone to cramping so stop if you're in pain (obviously).

steve-urkel-strut-o.gif

Pull the Steve Urkel in the air ;)

@Katybugmom have her try the straddle drill that kristenthegreat suggested up there. She'll start using muscles she never knew she had!

at our gym for jump conditioning at practice we got into 3 lines. The first line would do 1 toe-touch and then the 2nd and third would do the same. Then the first line would do 1 toe-touch then 2 toe - touches and the 2nd and 3rd line would do the same. Then the first row would do 1 toe-touch and immediatly clap and do two more then clap again and do three the 2nd and 3rd line would follow.. and so on..

To get a nice hyper extended toe touch you should work on your hip flexer strength, lower back flexibility and core strength. You need to be able to squeeze your core and hip flexers to get your legs up but also be able to have a flexible back so you can really sit in them. Good drills are

sit in a straddle with your legs not to far apart and do toe touches, youll instantly feel all of those 3 things. Also do the drills that @kristenthegreat said. Oh and repetition repetition repetition!

I didn't read this whole thread but I will add my two cents so sorry if I repeat anything...

It is a common misconseption that flixibility is a major contributing factor to jump quality, but hip flexor strenght is EXPONENTIALLY more important for quality toe touches. Any kind of leg raises are good for this, the internet is also a great source for various excercises that are easy to do anywhere with no special equiptment necessary. There is also no substitute for doing lots of jumps. If you go to the gym 3 days a week and make sure you do 100 jumps before you leave, your jumps will show improvement quickly, there is no quick fix it's all about hard work

For standing tucks you want to really work on strengthening your legs (calves quads and hamstrings), and your core... Again there are tons of great low impact excercises available on the internet but some good ones are

-squat jump squats (works quads and hamstrings)
-Lunge walks -Calf raises
-Candlesticks -Tip Toe walks
-Hollow body rocks -V-ups

Back