College Kentucky Cheer Dismisses 4 Coaches Following Hazing Investigation

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Am I the only one who thinks the only way to break the traditions is to bring in a non-UK graduate as a coach?

Someone who sees these things going on and appropriately gives it the “hairy eyeball” look?

In a dream world, I'd want Christa Sanford or Jen Thrasher to leave Bama for the job but they would probably never!

This is from the UCA College Cheerleading Championship rules page:

https://www.varsity.com/uca/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/20_uca_championships_college_rules.pdf

PARTICIPATION GUIDELINES:

1. All participants must be registered full-time students for the fall semester of the college or university that they are representing in competition and official members of that school’s spirit team (no club teams or competition only teams). Official member’s of the school’s spirit team is that team recognized by their institution as the actual sideline/courtside spirit team that regularly supports their school athletic teams.
2. The Dean of Students, Director of Compliance or Registrar’s office must complete the eligibility form and have notarized. Eligibility form must not be dated any earlier than DECEMBER 1, 2019. Teams violating this rule could forfeit their titles and be prohibited from entering the competition the following year. For any clarification on these rules please call 1-888-CHEERUCA.
3. Each cheer team must be accompanied by a current USA Cheer / AACCA certified coach in order for the team to be eligible to compete. Proof of certification is required upon registering for the National Championship.
4. The team and each participating member/coach should constantly display good sportsmanship throughout the entire performance in regards to respect for themselves, other teams and the viewing audience of all ages. Teams should refrain from any taunting, bragging, or suggestive expressions or gestures as well as discrimination of any nature.
5. We recommend that the team and each of its members display an overall appearance conducive to serving as public representatives and ambassadors of their school in regards to grooming, traditional and appropriate attire, conservative make-up, uniformity, etc.

Is this a joke? I’m genuinely asking.
The petition may be a joke but after reading several of the many news articles about the harassment of the Oldham’s by former and current members of the team I wouldn’t be surprised if the school cancelled the entire program for a year or more. The general sentiment outside of the cheerleading world seems to be that the coaches were rightfully fired and the team is out of control.

The cheerleaders have only added fuel to the fire with the online harassment now being it’s own news story.

The petition may be a joke but after reading several of the many news articles about the harassment of the Oldham’s by former and current members of the team I wouldn’t be surprised if the school cancelled the entire program for a year or more. The general sentiment outside of the cheerleading world seems to be that the coaches were rightfully fired and the team is out of control.

The cheerleaders have only added fuel to the fire with the online harassment now being it’s own news story.

I’ve sort of been getting the opposite impression from where I’m sitting (in progressive part of CA): a successful black man got fired from his job because a literal Karen demanded it.

People over here are PISSED on his behalf. Which is significant because when the story broke, it was a chance to crap on cheerleaders, which people love to do. But now that more of the story has come to light, people are outraged at what they see as institutional racism at work.

ETA: Been seeing a LOT of this on my social media feed. God help me, I laughed (even though it’s not really accurate since KO is from West Virginia):

Last edited:
I have no idea if there are bonuses or other incentives that go along with the published salary, but if it's base salary only I don't know how you get anyone to fill that position. I was shocked at how low it is.

I have no idea if there are bonuses or other incentives that go along with the published salary, but if it's base salary only I don't know how you get anyone to fill that position. I was shocked at how low it is.

There’s probably some other incentives right? Like use of the gym, maybe some campus housing deal, season tickets?

Back