Kick Double Basket Toss In Slow Motion

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 8, 2014
Is there anyone who has a good quality video of a regular (really good) kick double in slow motion and could post it here/send me the link? :D

That is really interesting because it looks very different from the way my CP does them. I was surprised to see the back sport pushing/lifting her from her bottom. In my daughter's group the backspot has her around the ankles. She seemed to be doing a lot of switch doubles (is that a term--where she switches legs before she pulls the right one straight up). Maybe that is why the starting position is different?

That is really interesting because it looks very different from the way my CP does them. I was surprised to see the back sport pushing/lifting her from her bottom. In my daughter's group the backspot has her around the ankles. She seemed to be doing a lot of switch doubles (is that a term--where she switches legs before she pulls the right one straight up). Maybe that is why the starting position is different?
I think most people start from either under the flyer's bottom or underneath the basket, like under the bases hands. In my experience it has been the flyer's decision, some like that extra support on their bottom so they don't lean back.

I think most people start from either under the flyer's bottom or underneath the basket, like under the bases hands. In my experience it has been the flyer's decision, some like that extra support on their bottom so they don't lean back.

We teach to toss from under the basket, we don't allow them to push from the top girl's seat. At least in my experience, if the top girl is used to having the backspot toss from under the seat, the top girl doesn't seem to hold herself up as well because she has sitting on her backspot.

We teach to toss from under the basket, we don't allow them to push from the top girl's seat. At least in my experience, if the top girl is used to having the backspot toss from under the seat, the top girl doesn't seem to hold herself up as well because she has sitting on her backspot.

I agree! I teach my kids to toss from under the basket too!

After watching the 3 girls who all do them in slow-motion together it's interesting to see exactly when and how they initiate the spin. I noticed that the middle girl (I think that is the one the video is about) finishes her kick and has already completed a half turn and one of the other girls hasn't turned quite as much.

I also agree! As a backspot I've always thrown from under the bases (with one exception), otherwise my flyers tend to get in the habit of dropping their rears and sitting in my hands. Also, I feel like I throw harder and get more power from underneath. Any other way and I feel like I'm throwing at a different pace than my bases and I don't get that extra powerful flick at the end.

I really need to watch next time because I am almost certain that none of the backspots throw from under the bases. I think they all grab the ankles. I could see where going under would be much more powerful!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I really need to watch next time because I am almost certain that none of the backspots throw from under the bases. I think they all grab the ankles. I could see where going under would be much more powerful!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Asked my daughter about it and she said that her backspot does hold her ankles. But she did say that they can also throw from under the bases...it really depends on where the backspot wants to be. She said that sometimes if they are throwing under the bases the coach might ask them to hold the ankles if the basket is going crooked...maybe to guide it better? Guess that's why my CP always has someone holding her ankles:p

I teach baskets with backs holding the ankles to my school kids when they first start learning. There's more control for them, so they're more comfortable doing it this way. As they get better and faster moving hands, I have them switch to under the basket for more power.

Asked my daughter about it and she said that her backspot does hold her ankles. But she did say that they can also throw from under the bases...it really depends on where the backspot wants to be. She said that sometimes if they are throwing under the bases the coach might ask them to hold the ankles if the basket is going crooked...maybe to guide it better? Guess that's why my CP always has someone holding her ankles:p
I backed a girl who liked to spin wayyy early so I would hold her ankles which forced her to stand up and ride before she twisted. I've also done it for crooked baskets, because you can guide for a decent amount of time before letting go, and the beginning is usually when it goes crooked. I prefer to go under though!

Back