Kick Doubles

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 29, 2010
Is there anyboyd that could give me some help with kick doubles? I have trouble getting my hips arounda nd my kick isn't the greatest. I would be so greatful if you guys had any helpful hints! And also, if you have any tips for kick kick doubles I'd be very greatful as well! Thanks!:)

the key to a good kick double is in your initiation of your kick...
1. make sure you ride up ALL THE WAY
2. make your kick a "fan kick". your kick should look like you are kicking over something.
3. incorporate your kick into your initial spin. use the weight of your leg coming around to pull the first spin.
4. keep your head neutral in your kick. dont stick it out (that will make air resistance. and you want to cut through the air.)
5. pull nice and tight. pull into your pocket, not around your chest. the thinner you make your body, the better.
6. when you are finishing your first twist, look left over your shoulder and keep rotating your shoulders and hips at the SAME TIME!! if you pull one then the other, you will most likely land on your hip...
7. SQUEEEEZE at all times! if you are loose, you will not ride the release up to the top, and you have more of a chance to get injured on the catch.

hope this helps. this is what i teach when helping out with kick doubles.
for kick kick doubles:
follow the same directions.
just make sure the first kick is straight up and down, then the second kick is your "fan kick". :D:cheering:

@stcchamp I actually am saving this in a Word doc because it is such a great breakdown. I can reference it when I help with senior 5. Always good to have another way of explaining things.

@stcchamp I actually am saving this in a Word doc because it is such a great breakdown. I can reference it when I help with senior 5. Always good to have another way of explaining things.
thanks!!! i taught myself how to kick double on the trampoline, so i had to teach myself the best technique! glad my insight helped some people out!!! :p

Your fan technique works wonders!!! Thank you so so much! I no longer look like a ninja kicking and throwing my shoulders sideways lol

Thank you so mcuh @stcchamp! I am going to try that at my next practice for sure! I always have trouble because after my kick, I bring my feet back together instead of kicking over something and I have trouble making more than a 1 1/2 but this seems like an excellent breakdown and I am excited to try it out!

Thank you so mcuh @stcchamp! I am going to try that at my next practice for sure! I always have trouble because after my kick, I bring my feet back together instead of kicking over something and I have trouble making more than a 1 1/2 but this seems like an excellent breakdown and I am excited to try it out!
thank you!! i hope it works for you! if not, let me know what else is wrong, and maybe i could give you a few more specified tips! i took me a good 3 months to master a kick double with good technique!! :)

thank you!! i hope it works for you! if not, let me know what else is wrong, and maybe i could give you a few more specified tips! i took me a good 3 months to master a kick double with good technique!! :)
I have a video of me at practice the other day and it's about a kick 1 1/4 and it's not pretty haha. If you'd like to see it I can post it to this thead?

I have a video of me at practice the other day and it's about a kick 1 1/4 and it's not pretty haha. If you'd like to see it I can post it to this thead?
yess!! let me see it! i will be able to tell you which tips to work on, and where you are going wrong!!!

Yes I know this is pretty tragic and pleaseeeee ignore the commentary from the video tapers -_-

okay. pause the video at 7 seconds. look at the freeze frame. you can see that you started to pull into your chest BEFORE your feet were completely together.
now, work on completely finishing the fan kick. the kick is finished when your right leg has crossed past your left hip. your arms should come into your left pocket and your body should hollow out. keeping your arms at your chest will make air resistance. you want cut through the air. not be stopped by it. and also, you need to be more agressive in the approach of the kick. really force it up and over. keep spinning quickly and dont open up!! hopefully this will help! :))

okay. pause the video at 7 seconds. look at the freeze frame. you can see that you started to pull into your chest BEFORE your feet were completely together.
now, work on completely finishing the fan kick. the kick is finished when your right leg has crossed past your left hip. your arms should come into your left pocket and your body should hollow out. keeping your arms at your chest will make air resistance. you want cut through the air. not be stopped by it. and also, you need to be more agressive in the approach of the kick. really force it up and over. keep spinning quickly and dont open up!! hopefully this will help! :))

Thank you!!!:)

stcchamp Bumping this back up because I'm having issues. I can't seem to ride straight, I always arch a bit, travel backwards slightly and go early, even when I think I'm riding the height. I'm usually nervous and I blank so even when I do it properly I can't remember what made it a good rep! Also, I tend to make half a rotation from where I start rather than a quarter. Is this okay?

well the ride starts in the load in. make sure that you are on the balls of your feet. being flat footed on your bases will make the toss travel backwards, and being on your toes will force your shoulders to go forward. when riding the basket, ride with both arms by your ears reaching directly above you (dont worry about getting your toes in front of you to initiate the kick). when you are about to kick, reach just a second longer with your right arm and snap your left arm to your side (doing this will force the air underneath the left side of your chest to go underneath you, giving you more air time. this will also make your rotation begin.)
so the key to everything, is not to rush your ride. ride it until the very last minute STRAIGHT UP! do not try rotating your body horizontally in the ride, this should take place in your kick (when you snap your left arm down!)!!
hopefully this helps!! i used to have problems doing this too!

Thank you stcchamp! I will try this out, won't be for two weeks or so, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Back