OT Kindle Instead Of Texbooks?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 25, 2010
hey ya'll

so one of my friends told me today she is getting a kindle instead of buying all her textbooks for school. anyone else doing this? i think it's a brilliant idea. obviously you'd have to check and see if they have all your books and what not, but i feel like this would save alot of money, and pain from carry hardbooks around lol
i contemplated it, but i looked it up and the only downside is you can only rent them, and i'll need to keep all my textbooks because of my major.
anyone know if the ipad has something like this? (i'm not very tech savvy!)
which do ya'll prefer, kindle or ipad? (i may end up investing in one regardless lol)

peace, love, and happy cheering

showstopper

my question is how reliable are they in having the text books needed? i'm also looking into it, but i don't want to blow 500 bucks on an ipad if they only have one of my text books.

Nooooo. I like to highlight, annotate and have my textbooks lying around so I can cross check them when writing/researching essays. Can't think of anything worse than having to keep reloading different books to find a section I vaguely remembered and want to reference. I always print out online readings too. I know I'm killing the planet but then again I figure I'm saving it by not using tp ;)

I'm an English major and I did this last year for one of my classes. It was a novel class, so instead of making us buy 15+ novels, the school provided us with Kindles that had all of the books already uploaded.

It was a love/hate relationship. You can highlight and bookmark, but not efficiently. It was nice to be able to throw my Kindle in my purse and read for school wherever though. I also saved probably $200 by not buying the books.

I personally prefer having an actual book. At my school they have textbooks that you can rent for the Nook and you can download a free program on your computer to use it on there if you don't have one. I did it for one book and HATED it. They also didn't have it for all textbooks.

If you want to get cheaper books just go through Amazon. I get almost all of mine from there and I still can sell them back to my University bookstore at the end of the semester and get money back (or you can sell them back on amazon).

my question is how reliable are they in having the text books needed? i'm also looking into it, but i don't want to blow 500 bucks on an ipad if they only have one of my text books.
It isn't for the iPad so you wouldn't be spending $500. A Kindle is maybe $150.

I would buy the actually book. My kindle stopped working for no apparent reason and its less than a year old.

I have a Kobo eReader that I have all my readings, unit guides, lecture notes, tutorial work, etc on and it's great. I'm a big fan of having the book in front of me, but in reality it is just as easy for me to use the eReader with a notebook which I just note the page/subject I'm writing about on, it's easier to bring resources for multiple subjects everywhere which means studying becomes an option when I'm on a train/in a waiting room, etc and it's super convenient. Also, I don't need to worry about places to store all my course notes!! If you can get a majority of your resources on it I'd say go for the Kindle - it's also great in general if you like having a book with you. I'm slowly moving all my real books to my eReader too, dusting is getting so much easier!

I love mine, but not for technical reading. In technical reading (like in a textbook or a professional text) you sometimes need to flip back and forth between several pages/chapters or need to flip to another page for a diagram or graph/chart. That doesn't work so well on an ereader. They really are meant for chronological reading (when you read from pg 1 to the end).

I do use mine exclusively for politics and math subjects where it is either reading through the texts or following the working, so it may not be as applicable for other areas.

I loooove my Kindle, but I think like Missbee said, it's easier to flip back and forth with textbooks.

let's throw the nook in there too--i've read a lot of good reviews about the nook color

just saw two posts up someone said this already.. oops haha:oops:

I have to do alot of technical reading and used to print everything out and carrying multiple textbooks, but I have an Ipad and recently bought 2 of my textbooks for the Kindle app. It took some getting used to but I was able to bookmark pages I needed to flip to for quick reference as well as highlight and annotate. I think that within the next 10 years all textbooks will be electronic. This would be soooo cost efficient and friendly for the environment as new editions of textbooks are always coming out. This way you could just get an update instead of having to get a whole new book...

I have to do alot of technical reading and used to print everything out and carrying multiple textbooks, but I have an Ipad and recently bought 2 of my textbooks for the Kindle app. It took some getting used to but I was able to bookmark pages I needed to flip to for quick reference as well as highlight and annotate. I think that within the next 10 years all textbooks will be electronic. This would be soooo cost efficient and friendly for the environment as new editions of textbooks are always coming out. This way you could just get an update instead of having to get a whole new book...

so with an ipad you can get kindle/amazon books? i'm still learning about how all of them work. haha

Back