All-Star Large Senior Skills: In The Numbers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In terms of people tumbling more than once, just something I noticed in the first few seconds, both 2 to doubles that come up during toe fulls do 2 to doubles later, and the centre toe full does 2 two to doubles. With so much going on it'd take way too long to follow each tumbler to see how many times they tumble more than once, but that may give some perspective on the multiple tumblers. I'm not CRITICIZING here for double tumblers, just pointing it out for curiosity sake.
ETA: in running it appears only one person tumbles more than once
I am not asking this in a mean way, I really am curious. Does that make it some how less spectacular? Do judges look and count and some how penalize double tumblers?

Amazing how this is the EXACT same thing cheer updates posted on twitter hmmm

There is no stranglehold on information. I find that is one of the most amazing things about fierceboard. The second someone sets up a news source it all gets pulled back here anyway... pretty much immediately.

That's a crazy amount of skills!
I have one honest question - do you think that having the 2nd stunt sequence is necessary? The things they do in the first stunt is beyond my wildest expectations!
Is it really making a difference on the score sheet. Now please don't take this as a knock of their routine. I LOVE everything! But i feel like there is not much choreography overall. And i know a lot of that is with the scoring. You have to get so many elements in. But i do miss seeing some creative choreography during a routine also.

They haven't gotten choreography yet......that's why it's not there.

I'll leave the 2nd stunt/scoresheet discussion for those who know WAY more than I do about it. LOL

They haven't gotten choreography yet......that's why it's not there.

I'll leave the 2nd stunt/scoresheet discussion for those who know WAY more than I do about it. LOL
ok, that makes sense!! by the way....they were absolutely AMAZING!! still haven't picked my jaw off the floor!:)

I would like to know how many skills are performed by any given individual aka how many people tumble twice or three times in any given section

Just watch Little Amber...

I literally would pass out doing 1/3 of her role in that routine. AHH! She's like baby Kelsey Rule (Starlites'07) on CRACK.

Major kudos to everyone on that team!! The routine looks extremely extremely difficult I can tell you that besides them maybe doing "too much" in excess of maxing out the scoresheet, I love CSP and CEA for giving me so much to appreciate in one single routine. :rolleyes:

I am not asking this in a mean way, I really am curious. Does that make it some how less spectacular? Do judges look and count and some how penalize double tumblers?

I think it's impossible to do it. I had to watch the video a separate time to watch each athlete individually. There are times where it's obvious that a judge may take into consideration, but I think it's next to impossible to tell in the moment how much double tumbling is going on.
In my opinion it is less impressive when multiple people tumble a lot. Not that 99.9% of teams aren't guilty of it, but it's definitely a sour point to me. I'd rather see a team be innovative in choreographing and working around few tumblers than see a bunch of tumblers go more than once.

Judges do notice double tumblers sometimes. But it doesn't matter. What does matter is when skills are on over kill. Half of what they do isn't impacting their difficulty scores. Doing more of something doesn't make it more difficult. A lot of brands arent looking at the number of skills but the difficulty of them. So lots of this routine is just going towards creativity and execution. They could remove a great deal of the chaos in this routine and still score the same.

At a certain point you need to look at risk vs reward. And I'm not talking about scores. I'm talking about athletes. There is no need to push your athletes like this if you aren't getting any reward for doing so. Not trying to start trouble but making a solid point. I think this is evidenced by the number of braces the girls wear.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Judges do notice double tumblers sometimes. But it doesn't matter. What does matter is when skills are on over kill. Half of what they do isn't impacting their difficulty scores. Doing more of something doesn't make it more difficult. A lot of brands arent looking at the number of skills but the difficulty of them. So lots of this routine is just going towards creativity and execution. They could remove a great deal of the chaos in this routine and still score the same.

At a certain point you need to look at risk vs reward. And I'm not talking about scores. I'm talking about athletes. There is no need to push your athletes like this if you aren't getting any reward for doing so. Not trying to start trouble but making a solid point. I think this is evidenced by the number of braces the girls wear.

Before this year I had only done high school cheer, and am now on an allstar team and do nothing really more than jumps to back and stunting, and if I had to tumble I'd be wearing two wrist braces, two ankle braces, and would probably tape one of my knees, and none were from overly difficult skills. The amount of braces athletes wear is no measure of athletes being over pushed. My ankle injuries are from a layout where I missed a crash mat, wrist injuries from a back handspring.
I think the risk vs reward argument is a valid one when it comes to teams not hitting. If Senior Elite stepped on the mat and bombed completely, I'd say the points about them throwing "too much" are valid (not just your points, many have been made), but if a team can handle this routine, and does it as well as Senior Elite is doing it, why not allow them to do it? The way I look at it is this, if you have more than you need and your athletes are struggling, simplify. If you have more than your need and your athletes are consistently hitting, keep it. Either way you have all that you need and you're competing a routine that will not only highlight and accent your athletes' strengths, but also challenge them to overcome their weaknesses.

Courtney said something in Chicago that made sense, because I was thinking the same thing. She mentioned that all of the large all girl routines are going to be jam packed with skills, probably more than any other division. At the end of the day, everyone is going to be maxing out. It's going to come down to numbers and those things that usually don't impact a scoresheet as much-creativity and choreography. If it comes down to a team doing 1 tick tock vs 4 tick tocks at Worlds, I'd rather be the team doing 4. Don't quote me on this, it was just a discussion that took place casually that I think applies to this routine in particular.

I'm no se fanatic .. but Courtney is right.. everyone knows what skillswill be thrown and that this division will be bloodbath teams have to set their selfs apart through choreo and music to stand out above the rest.

Personally I feel that there's alot going on in this routine to hide some flaws . Which is always a smart move to make when it comes to choreographing a routine!!

Back