Layout Drills Tips Anything

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 24, 2010
I having been struggling with my layout forever! Im a senior this year and I really want to spin, but I want to fix my layout. Any tips techniques or drills anything is useful. Thanks : )

Abs abs abs! The layout is about squeezing your whole core and body. Set high and keep your head in! A drill that you can do is lay on the ground, point your toes and as you put you hands to your thighs, life your hips up towards the ceiling. You can also do candle sticks and once your layout is PERFECT twisting will be sooo easy!! Promise:)

A good thing to remember during layouts is to let your hips come to youre arms. A lot of people set and then smack their sides right away which cuts their set. If you let your hips come to your arms you will set higher which will give you more control, and if youre trying to get your hips to your arms then it will also help you squeeze harder.

Heres what I mean by let your hips come to your arms not arms to hips

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=232138863465789

A good visual my coach used was to have me hang on a bar (like a gymnastics bar) then get in my hollow body position. He goes, if you're staying this tight, how can you flip over the bar without bending? He told me to not pull my toes over the bar, or my knees over the bar, but my hips TO the bar. When you're in your layout, your primary source of the energy for your rotation comes from your hips. You never want your toes to be in front of your hips. But I'm NOT saying to try to whip it over. If you are in the correct position then your hips will be forward and the natural arch in your back will be completely flat. To get it like that you really really really have to squeeze your butt and abs to stay tight! So once you ate used to that position, when you're going for your layout, think: "ride, hips to the bar, FREEZE!" Once you get your hips to the bar, don't move!!!! Piking out of it at the end kills execution scores. But remember to practice your hip drive and really condition your abs! I hope I helped!

Back