All-Star Les Stella Steps Down From Iasf Role

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 26, 2014
I know a lot of people aren't interested in international cheer but this is pretty big news. Les Stella just stepped down from his role as IASF Director after the ICU acquired the IASF in January. The wording of his statement was pretty interesting, as was the timing (with the ICU push for Olympics and recent reports about USASF's handling of banned individual lists). Just wanted to know what everyone here made of this.

(also I know how most feel about Cheer Updates here, but it's the only source I could find discussing this right now).

I know a lot of people aren't interested in international cheer but this is pretty big news. Les Stella just stepped down from his role as IASF Director after the ICU acquired the IASF in January. The wording of his statement was pretty interesting, as was the timing (with the ICU push for Olympics and recent reports about USASF's handling of banned individual lists). Just wanted to know what everyone here made of this.

(also I know how most feel about Cheer Updates here, but it's the only source I could find discussing this right now).

Make me sad. He has always impressed me.

I’m so cynical now I’m wondering if some dirt is coming out soon. I have no reason to suspect this; it’s just what this year has done to me.

The same way how if you see someone’s name trending you automatically assume they’re dead until told otherwise.

I’m so cynical now I’m wondering if some dirt is coming out soon. I have no reason to suspect this; it’s just what this year has done to me.

The same way how if you see someone’s name trending you automatically assume they’re dead until told otherwise.
We’re at the crossroads now of ICU cheer vs Varsity-owned Allstar cheer I feel. I also agree it very much feels to me like there’s going to be a USAG-like blow up coming in the near future.

He mentions a "lack of communication and leadership" from himself over the past 4 years. So it seems something has been brewing for a while.

I think this IASF vs USASF/Varsity thing is becoming an issue. For one, we have so many redundant divisions because of the separate feeling of the two organizations. The same exact Junior 2 team could enter either USASF Jr 2 or International U17 Level 2. How is it good for the sport to dilute the competition to this degree. And then teams from other countries come here and compete against whatever random American teams decide to plop themselves in U17 for whatever reasons. There has to be a better way.

I have a ton of respect for Les. I haven't always agreed with his every position, but I feel he was always honest and fair. This makes me sad for IASF and our cheer governance in general.

The whole ICU/IASF/USASF/USA Cheer structure and their connection to Varsity still confuses and frustrates me immensely. I have been on multiple committees/boards/etc and I still don't know who decided/picked the overall structure or how the leadership positions are chosen or assigned. While the people in leadership are generally qualified, well-intentioned professionals - most of whom I genuinely like - there has to be a better way to set things up.

Ugh. Les was a great voice of reason for a LONG time in this industry and this feels like a huge loss.
I agree, and for the past couple of years have had many conversations with cheer friends that basically said "why is Les not answering any questions - it's not like him at all", so his statement about his communication was very eye opening to me. I get the impression that he wanted to communicate and wasn't being allowed to, which would come as no surprise to me.

Back