Level 2 .vs. Level 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 28, 2012
Even though tryouts are 5 months away, I was wondering if I have the potential to move up to a level 3 team next season. I'm a strong base/third, I pick up choreography easily, and I pick up tumbling quickly ie In the past six months I got a standing handspring, a roundoff handspring and a back walkover back handspring. I have high jumps, but my flexibility and strength still need work

I'm really unsure as to if you could or not! Have you worked tucks, if so how close are you? If you didn't have the tumbling they would put you in the team as a base, if you are a strong one. You still have a lot of time!

I'm really unsure as to if you could or not! Have you worked tucks, if so how close are you? If you didn't have the tumbling they would put you in the team as a base, if you are a strong one. You still have a lot of time!

I am close to a punch front (I can land them on a thin mat), but I haven't started working back tucks yet. Thanks a lot though! I'll keep working hard and hopefully I'll get there!

Just remember that tumbling isn't the be all and end all of team placement. Stunts, jumps, and choreography are just as important so if you don't have the necessary tumbling but show skills in the other areas, you may make it. Good luck!

I am close to a punch front (I can land them on a thin mat), but I haven't started working back tucks yet. Thanks a lot though! I'll keep working hard and hopefully I'll get there!
I think that you probably have a good chance! As soon as you can I would start working tucks! Good luck!:)

I think the more important tumbling skill to get would be a series of standing back handsprings over the running tuck. Only so many kids can do the running section but most teams will want full team standing.

Even though tryouts are 5 months away, I was wondering if I have the potential to move up to a level 3 team next season. I'm a strong base/third, I pick up choreography easily, and I pick up tumbling quickly ie In the past six months I got a standing handspring, a roundoff handspring and a back walkover back handspring. I have high jumps, but my flexibility and strength still need work

The main difference between levels 2 and 3 is a round off back hand spring tuck-- tumbling wise. Stunting wise the main difference is extended single legged stunts. If you are a strong base like you said earlier then you should prove it to your coaches and go into open gym and show them you stunting extended one legged stunts. Teams always need good basses. But to ensure you place on a level 3 team you really should have a running tuck. However most level 3 teams do not have a full squad round off back handspring tuck.

Like others said, standing tumbling is probably really important. Yes, you should start working tucks, but it would probably not be all that hard for you to get standing multiples and jumps to bhs. since you can already do a backhandspring, it would just be a matter of connecting them to other backhandsprings or a jump. This is the area where they need full squad tumbling, and it will probably be easy for you to pick up.
That being said, you should still try to see if you can start working tucks. Not everyone will throw a running pass, but they're more likely to put you on the team w/o a skill if you've at least worked it.
You should try to see if you can get a stunt group together at an open gym and work on level three skills. You may be a strong base at level 2, but you will need to show them you can base level 3, and to do so you need to practice. So see if you can practice basing single legged stunts that are extended! Also you'll need a lot more bravery in level 3, a flyer will be twisting toward you (Full downs/full baskets) so you can't shy away from a stunt! I think that even though the action isn't much different as a base from a straight ride/straight cradle, you should practice them a couple times to get used to having someone spinning at you. It can be scary at first!
There are also triple jumps in level three, idk if they're legal in level 2, but they require a lot of strength so working on your jumps would benefit you too, just stretching and doing leg exercises to try to make them as good as possible!
Good luck! I think if you practice the stunts and try to get the standing tumbling you could definitely make a level 3 team!

Like others said, standing tumbling is probably really important. Yes, you should start working tucks, but it would probably not be all that hard for you to get standing multiples and jumps to bhs. since you can already do a backhandspring, it would just be a matter of connecting them to other backhandsprings or a jump. This is the area where they need full squad tumbling, and it will probably be easy for you to pick up.
That being said, you should still try to see if you can start working tucks. Not everyone will throw a running pass, but they're more likely to put you on the team w/o a skill if you've at least worked it.
You should try to see if you can get a stunt group together at an open gym and work on level three skills. You may be a strong base at level 2, but you will need to show them you can base level 3, and to do so you need to practice. So see if you can practice basing single legged stunts that are extended! Also you'll need a lot more bravery in level 3, a flyer will be twisting toward you (Full downs/full baskets) so you can't shy away from a stunt! I think that even though the action isn't much different as a base from a straight ride/straight cradle, you should practice them a couple times to get used to having someone spinning at you. It can be scary at first!
There are also triple jumps in level three, idk if they're legal in level 2, but they require a lot of strength so working on your jumps would benefit you too, just stretching and doing leg exercises to try to make them as good as possible!
Good luck! I think if you practice the stunts and try to get the standing tumbling you could definitely make a level 3 team!

thanks so much! A few girls on my team who also want to be on level 3 and I have put together a stunt group and we go to open gyms! I'll definitely work on these things!

Back