All-Star “Limited” Divisions at Worlds?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Looking at the current list of teams entered in the 3 Limited divisions, it's mostly pretty small gyms, and then one or so larger gyms in each division that sticks out like a sore thumb (shouldn't be there) and will likely get an easy Worlds win. Worlds will be the easiest competition of the year for them. The irony.

While I understand the "everyone gets a trophy" argument, only 5% of the teams went home with rings.

True, and I have been okay with the creation of several of these new divisions over the years (Medium, X-Small, etc). Although I'm opposed to NT being at Worlds, at least the division name states specifically NO TUMBLING and it's clear this division is "lesser" in some way.

It's the creation of these "Limited" divisions that are plain fake which has pushed me over the edge. These divisions don't exist at any other point in the season. Gyms have the option of competing against their division at Worlds, or competing against a few bottom dwellers and getting the same exact prize regardless. It's a crock. These divisions make a scenario possible where the best team and the 24th best team in the SAME EXACT DIVISION can both become "World Champions" as long as the 24th best team declares themselves "Limited" based on the random classification of only having one Level 6 team in their gym. Truly one of the most absurd things they could have come up with in this sport.

Lastly, it's on gym owners if they're trying to avoid competition, that pretty much screams, "I don't have faith in my product or my athlete, but look, I get a banner on the wall."

Yes. It sends a message to the athletes that you don't really believe in their ability and would think of them as a failure if they do anything other than win or globe, and that the banner on the wall is more important than actually competing.

Last edited:
Looking at the current list of teams entered in the 3 Limited divisions, it's mostly pretty small gyms, and then one or so larger gyms in each division that sticks out like a sore thumb (shouldn't be there) and will likely get an easy Worlds win. Worlds will be the easiest competition of the year for them. The irony.

True, and I have been okay with the creation of several of these new divisions over the years (Medium, X-Small, etc). Although I'm opposed to NT being at Worlds, at least the division name states specifically NO TUMBLING and it's clear this division is "lesser" in some way.

Yes. It sends a message to the athletes that you don't really believe in their ability and would think of them as a failure if they do anything other than win or globe, and that the banner on the wall is more important than actually competing.
My last comment was said with sarcasm, because a specific gym doesn't come to mind when it comes to winning certain divisions for an "automatic win" at World's.

I'm not sure if you're a parent, fan, or athlete, but food for thought...
The most destructive aspect of sports has become social media and the impact on mental health. I'm including myself in this, but statements such as "bottom dwellers, lesser, bogus route, laughable,.." have proven to impact even those in pro sports, let alone our kid's. If the industry professionals deem them worthy and talented, we have the option of not watching. Their win has absolutely no impact on whatever divisions we feel should or shouldn't be there.

Youth sports are not the Olympics.
Olympic sports have the same argument on worthiness and fairness and Olympians are coming out on mental health abuse.
Athletes Mental Health and Social Media

I'm not sure if you're a parent, fan, or athlete, but food for thought...
The most destructive aspect of sports has become social media and the impact on mental health. I'm including myself in this, but statements such as "bottom dwellers, lesser, bogus route, laughable,.." have proven to impact even those in pro sports, let alone our kid's. If the industry professionals deem them worthy and talented, we have the option of not watching. Their win has absolutely no impact on whatever divisions we feel should or shouldn't be there.

To be perfectly clear, nobody is calling any team or gym "laughable" or "bogus". On the contrary, many people consider Anarchy to be one of the very best XS Coed teams in the country this season. There's no legitimate reason for why they can't compete in their actual division at Worlds. We'll never know how well they could have done in their division because they are apparently choosing not to enter it. And that's shame for anyone who cares about the competitive aspect of competitive cheerleading and believes in those kids' abilities.

For those who are just here for the banners/jackets/rings, they won't care about this issue and will enjoy the sentimental feeling of Anarchy winning, (which they will do very easily, unless something terribly catastrophic happens). For me as an athlete, it would feel like a hollow victory if I didn't have to compete against my main competitors that I had been facing all season. It wouldn't produce the same thrill to win against Whoever All Stars.

I won't just single out Anarchy, because there's at least 3 gyms on that list of "Limited" teams who don't fit the essence of what the "Limited" division was supposed to be: a division for struggling gyms who can barely put together a Level 6 team that isn't really competitive for Worlds but want to attend anyway (without having to place at the bottom, hence my use of the word "bottom-dweller", which maybe isn't the best word choice, but the reality is that in a competition someone has to place near the bottom). These divisions were NOT made so that teams who are competitive in their divisions can avoid the best teams in their divisions, but the rules are unfortunately set up in a way where teams who are desperate for a win are allowed to do just that. And yes that is a "bogus" path to a Worlds win, because you avoided your actual division.

There are multiple options for gyms who don't feel competitive enough in their current division (downsizing to a smaller division, moving to Level 5, etc). I stated that it was "laughable" that gyms have the option of viewing the teams in their division for Worlds and then being allowed to choose whether or not they want to compete against said teams or remove themselves into a separate category AND still be allowed to become "World Champion". That simply makes no sense. If you want to call them "Limited Champions", fine, but calling them WORLD Champions when they avoided their own division? That's preposterous.

Sports need to be fair and make sense, whether they are Olympic level or youth level. And given that cheer is a sport fighting for Olympic inclusion (it probably won't get there, but that's a different topic), it's especially important the rules make sense, beginning at the youth level, so that people even have an interest in the sport and want to put their kids in it. Since you brought up mental health, fair & honest sport and rules that make sense are a good step towards good mental health.

There's no point in holding Worlds if teams don't want to compete against the best in their division. Just go to a Regional competition. Gyms/coaches have gotten so consumed with winning and putting banners on the wall and the propaganda that can come with that, that some no longer care about even competing. What happened to teaching kids life lessons through sport. Teams used to celebrate placing 10th out of 50, or globing in a tough division, or moving up 10 placements from last year. But now it's as if people aren't satisfied unless they are being handed a win. And it makes our sport look more like a joke, which is sad because this is actually a great sport.

To be perfectly clear, nobody is calling any team or gym "laughable" or "bogus". On the contrary, many people consider Anarchy to be one of the very best XS Coed teams in the country this season. There's no legitimate reason for why they can't compete in their actual division at Worlds. We'll never know how well they could have done in their division because they are apparently choosing not to enter it. And that's shame for anyone who cares about the competitive aspect of competitive cheerleading and believes in those kids' abilities.

For those who are just here for the banners/jackets/rings, they won't care about this issue and will enjoy the sentimental feeling of Anarchy winning, (which they will do very easily, unless something terribly catastrophic happens). For me as an athlete, it would feel like a hollow victory if I didn't have to compete against my main competitors that I had been facing all season. It wouldn't produce the same thrill to win against Whoever All Stars.

I won't just single out Anarchy, because there's at least 3 gyms on that list of "Limited" teams who don't fit the essence of what the "Limited" division was supposed to be: a division for struggling gyms who can barely put together a Level 6 team that isn't really competitive for Worlds but want to attend anyway (without having to place at the bottom, hence my use of the word "bottom-dweller", which maybe isn't the best word choice, but the reality is that in a competition someone has to place near the bottom). These divisions were NOT made so that teams who are competitive in their divisions can avoid the best teams in their divisions, but the rules are unfortunately set up in a way where teams who are desperate for a win are allowed to do just that. And yes that is a "bogus" path to a Worlds win, because you avoided your actual division.

There are multiple options for gyms who don't feel competitive enough in their current division (downsizing to a smaller division, moving to Level 5, etc). I stated that it was "laughable" that gyms have the option of viewing the teams in their division for Worlds and then being allowed to choose whether or not they want to compete against said teams or remove themselves into a separate category AND still be allowed to become "World Champion". That simply makes no sense. If you want to call them "Limited Champions", fine, but calling them WORLD Champions when they avoided their own division? That's preposterous.

Sports need to be fair and make sense, whether they are Olympic level or youth level. And given that cheer is a sport fighting for Olympic inclusion (it probably won't get there, but that's a different topic), it's especially important the rules make sense, beginning at the youth level, so that people even have an interest in the sport and want to put their kids in it. Since you brought up mental health, fair & honest sport and rules that make sense are a good step towards good mental health.

There's no point in holding Worlds if teams don't want to compete against the best in their division. Just go to a Regional competition. Gyms/coaches have gotten so consumed with winning and putting banners on the wall and the propaganda that can come with that, that some no longer care about even competing. What happened to teaching kids life lessons through sport. Teams used to celebrate placing 10th out of 50, or globing in a tough division, or moving up 10 placements from last year. But now it's as if people aren't satisfied unless they are being handed a win. And it makes our sport look more like a joke, which is sad because this is actually a great sport.
FYI, I've always appreciated your passion for AS and agree with most things you post. Again, I know you weren't directing those words specifically at anyone or any team in general, but ultimately any criticism lands on the athletes in the divisions being snubbed or being told they shouldn't be there.

My two cents on what is "fair and makes sense" changes, especially when the economy is bad. For years, injuries, blocks, individual finances, proms, and college tryouts were the things coaches had to worry about for World's, but this economy is hitting people hard world-wide. Allowing gyms with only one World's team to have their own division was probably created to give those gyms a sense of fairness and to help retain athletes. Don't underestimate the effects of hope and dopamine, both are big motivators to keep moving forward....that doesn't necessarily translate to "easier."

Back