Losing Momentum Coming Out Of Whip

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SheCheers

Cheer Parent
Mar 6, 2011
Cp requested I ask on here because she's been trying, but not succeeding.

so, she's been working her whip through to a full. she can do it through to a tuck and layout, but leaving the whip, she loses all her momentum so has to try to get it back through two bhs and after that, she just doesn't have the speed/power for the full.
A tiny part of it is a mental block because the first time she was going to do it without a spot, she bent her thumb nail back and it was super painful, as in blood, gore, drama...ha ha ha!
but anyways...her coaches tell her she needs to "push back the whip" and she knows this in her head, but can't seem to her body to do it.
last class, she went to do it without a spot and landed the full, but immediately collapsed (according to witnesses, i wasn't there). and after that it got progressively worse to the point they wouldn't let her throw it again without a spot.

any different words or suggestions other than "push back the whip?"

Tell her her whip is like an arch in the McDonalds "M". She needs to make it wider like a rainbow.

try to tell her to stretch out the whip so its long and pull her toes over fast!
yess! and make sure she doesnt have her feet infront of her when she goes to whip or full. that will totally cut off the power in both of the skills! just tell her to stretch it like she would a handspring, and push push push! i hope she gets it:)

She should have her toes in front of her a bit and make sure she is using her arms. A whip is a bounding skill and meant to keep momentum going not slow you down. Push through your toes in all her tumbling and slightly in front and fast arms to help get the whip over faster and make it longer.

what skill is she doing before the whip? BHS or round off, either way doesnt make a difference really. From the rnd off or bhs you need to make sure you are driving your feet over fast (especially if its from rnd off) your feet should be where your hands have just been on the floor in previous skill (i.e feet way in front of you) your arms need to be down around the knee area and stomach should be tucked in nice and tight. MAKE SURE when keeping your arms down out of a skill that you keep your shoulders rounded!! (if shoulders are leading first and your arms are down you cant get your arms back fast enough to do the other skill, so make sure you shoulders are down and rounded too. So thats before you even do the whip.

For the whip... Think of it like a BHS its the same action just without hands. So from the position i have just explained above, Do not bend you legs (your feet should be so far infront of you that you dont need to bend them into the next skill) your arms should drive over you head really fast exactly like a bhs but faster, but when your hands would normally touch the floor you should pull your arms down as fast as you can towards your thighs/hips, and again drive you feet round and pull them infront of you again to the same position you went into the whip with. You need to have strong stomach muscles to be able to whip your feet in so far infront of you to be able to go in the bhs without bending you legs. If you can get your feet in front of you so that you dont have to bend you legs into the bhs then no power will be lost, Just make sure that you should and arms are down to then you can use your arms to drive over the top for a more powerfull bhs.

If you want to put the full straight after the whip, going into the whip is the same as i have explained above, but you need to whip your feet over faster and snap your chest up faster and also arms need to go fast from being down out of the whip to being by your ears ready to set for your twist. And also your feet dont need to be so far interneath you either, but this is where you chest needs to snap up even fast so that you dont have to bend your knees and kill the rebound.

Basically key to tumbling with whips and bhs's is to get arms and should down out of everything, and feet where you hands have just been the previous skill. Keep butt and stomach tight and then quickly get your arms by your ears for the next skill.

Hope this helps

Cp requested I ask on here because she's been trying, but not succeeding.

so, she's been working her whip through to a full. she can do it through to a tuck and layout, but leaving the whip, she loses all her momentum so has to try to get it back through two bhs and after that, she just doesn't have the speed/power for the full.
A tiny part of it is a mental block because the first time she was going to do it without a spot, she bent her thumb nail back and it was super painful, as in blood, gore, drama...ha ha ha!
but anyways...her coaches tell her she needs to "push back the whip" and she knows this in her head, but can't seem to her body to do it.
last class, she went to do it without a spot and landed the full, but immediately collapsed (according to witnesses, i wasn't there). and after that it got progressively worse to the point they wouldn't let her throw it again without a spot.

any different words or suggestions other than "push back the whip?"

thank you everyone! i'm passing these great tips on to her and will let you know how it goes on Saturday when she tumbles again :)

Back