All-Star Male Flyer... Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

so after you post the masculine male thread, you post this, someone's a little bitter apparently. *refers to avatar* obviously I am not against men being able to pull body positions, I can pull a bow to my head in jeans, and used to have a straight leg scorpion, but there's a place for everyone, and like the thread about masculine boys in cheer said, we need boy stunters, something we are losing. add male flyers into the mix and this sport becomes a joke to a straight male. we can stop with these stupid pointless threads please.

I started the masculine male thread as a spin off of a comment made on here because I thought it was a separate issue in the industry. Considering that thread has become so big I'd assume other people agree. This sport is already a joke to most men, but again, that's a *separate* issue.
Oh, and please keep the offensive PM's to yourself person I don't freakin know

I guess I should explain myself more. at the collegiate level of this sport, we are losing the amazing male stunters. James Speed himself said at the conference none of his guys could even toss to hands at tryouts. yes he did mention they have been taught, but isn't that taking time out of developing more difficult skills than a toss to block? unfortunately we can't all have girls like Cheyenne(sp?) on Twist and Shout who can toss to block, so when we start to lose boys, for whatever reason, where will we turn? we can't turn to the bigger guys, and attempt to recruit them into the sport, because they have been so turned off by seeing these "cutie booty" boys strutting, hair flipping, and getting away with being a backspot, so we look to the girls. we all know that girls can not stunt at the same level as guys, this is no inequality statement, it's the truth, and yes, there are girls out there who are good stunters, even coed style stunting, however they just don't match. I don't need to provide examples, I'm sure the dancing and figure skating examples are enough, and thank you for those, because I couldn't think of any myself. I love seeing guys fly in baskets, as mentioned before, point basket, not some random off to the side. there was an argument on here before that I'm pretty sure I started (a while back) because a Cheernation junior team put a boy in the air in the far right group. if we could bring that thread back, I'm sure my opinion has changed, so don't try and use that thread against me, but it isn't the look that a coach wants in my opinion. no sexism, just what their routine would look best with. as bad as it is, a male in society is looked at as more masculine, stronger, more rugged, and is not "feminine" in any way shape or form, and trying to change that is pointless, so why not embrace it, and look to our boys for AMAZING stunting, have a few good tumblers/jumpers/dancers (which is the combination discussed at the conference), and then let the girls do the cute stuff.

before anyone jumps down my throat about homophobia... don't waste your time, if you know me... well... sure that speaks for itself.

Again, you obviously don't know anything about me. I'm a junior in HS and I can toss to hands and walk in to extended lib (for the midwest that's crazy). I'm also the best damn backspot in my gym.
It just so happens I love flying and was looking for *help* getting in the air, not your pointless 2 cents

Um, a lot of girls have this issue. There are a LOT of girls who would like to be flyers, have the skills, and aren't given the chance. In fact, I have a kick double, and when they put in the basket sequence, they didn't have a 4th flyer to do a kick double so they taught a new girl (who only ended up being able to do a kick full and they still kept it), when they know I can kick double and another coach even stood up for me. It doesn't make sense. I don't get it. But you're not the only one. Even if you feel like you are because you're a boy; you're singling yourself out BECAUSE of your gender. I'm sorry to say, you're kind of making this into a "sexist" thing because its not common with males, but its a heck of a lot more common with girls and obviously gender has nothing to do with that.

Sorry, I'm ranting. Forgive me.

Yeah, but if I was a girl, I'd have 5 pages of help and positive feed back instead of 5 pages of comments attacking my dream and 3 PM's from people I don't know cursing me out, attacking my character, and insulting my skills as a cheerleader.
Even though they've never seen me stunt as a base/backspot or partner stunt.

So yeah, I do think it's a gender issue. Thanks to the magic that is genetics I have the body of a girl. Do I like it, no. But my body image issues arent for this board.
If I had an innie where I currently had an outie people would be doing everything they could to help me keep positive (that's what this board *generally* provide for cheerleaders).
Instead I get 2 or 3 comments offering helpful advice and a bunch of un-helpful 2 cents.
And a lot of attacks on me personally.
So yeah, I think is is pretty sexist. And I dont usually like those words. But it pretty accurately describes this situation

Well I am from Idaho a gym in Twin falls has Anthony flying there stunt sequence and he has better flexibility than all of the girls. So if a boy can do it better than a girl more power to him. Maybe, girls should work harder so they dont feel threatened by boys wanting to take over there traditional roles!!!;)

Video?

Look I started this thread for help making my dream a reality. It's clear that many people in the cheer world have very strong views on this subject, but there is a whole *different* thread to debate the point of males flying. Am I offended by some of the stuff I've seen, yeah. Do I think its a tad sexist, yep.

But, on the whole, I'm disappointed in the lack of originality. Like it or not allstar cheer is still a relatively new sport. Its ever changing and I dont think anyone can predict where it will be in 20 years (if you had told me about youth 5 back when comps were on hard floors I woulda called you crazy).

So, instead of caving to peer pressure or whatev, I'm gonna keep trying.
Is that stupid of me, probably. But if I don't believe in myself I cant expect others to believe in me, right?

Maybe I'll fly at worlds.
Probably I wont.
But as long as people are afraid to try something new the industry wont continue to excel at the rate it has currently.

There, that's my pointless 2 cents:)

To let everyone know onetrue pairing is no level five cheerleader and he has never been on a level five team he is barely a level five cheerleader. He doesn't have or has ever had level five tumbling skills like he claims. I don't like people who claim to bevthings there not and don't respect people unless they are honest. There are a lot more things you should worry about improving on other then chasing a hopeless dream of being an outstanding flyer. You asked people to be honest with you and your not being honest with them and your bashing there thoughts just as much as they are trying to make you understand people wAnt to see ladies in the air and want the guys to be those ladies rock whether they are femanine guys or manly guys. That's just cheerleading and the beauty of it. Guys can wow judges with there flexibility without being in the air. Your trying to call it sexism but it's not coaches and choreographers have a vision of what they want there teams and routines to look like and if that vision doesn't include a guy on the air then they aren't going to try it. Like people have said get some friends to fly you. Be honest with yourself and everyone else and take into thought what they have to say, you asked them so be considerate.

To let everyone know onetrue pairing is no level five cheerleader and he has never been on a level five team he is barely a level five cheerleader. He doesn't have or has ever had level five tumbling skills like he claims. I don't like people who claim to bevthings there not and don't respect people unless they are honest. There are a lot more things you should worry about improving on other then chasing a hopeless dream of being an outstanding flyer. You asked people to be honest with you and your not being honest with them and your bashing there thoughts just as much as they are trying to make you understand people wAnt to see ladies in the air and want the guys to be those ladies rock whether they are femanine guys or manly guys. That's just cheerleading and the beauty of it. Guys can wow judges with there flexibility without being in the air. Your trying to call it sexism but it's not coaches and choreographers have a vision of what they want there teams and routines to look like and if that vision doesn't include a guy on the air then they aren't going to try it. Like people have said get some friends to fly you. Be honest with yourself and everyone else and take into thought what they have to say, you asked them so be considerate.

Wow you again, Come to open gym at TCAS. Ive invited you. Multiple times.
The only time youve seen me tumble was during a massive mental block. Its gone now.

Hurdler-double toe tuck. Got it.
Pike hurdler punch front. Got it.
Arabian through to layout. Got it.
Punch forward full. Land on heels and fall to butt, work in progress.
Back full. Just got it.

Come to open gym. Any time. Ill show you.
So before you start telling everyone about my "lack of skills" come see me some time.
You *clearly* havent seen me tumble in forever.

Oh, and I'm on SO5 this year. Last time I checked thats a level 5 division.

I think you're feeling a backlash because you started this thread very "poor me, I'm being treated unfair", and sort of like you DESERVE to be in the air. If you would have said, "I would love to fly, and have some experience, but need some help getting people in my gym to be more supportive and help me learn new skills", you would have had a much different outcome. Just my opinion.

I think you're feeling a backlash because you started this thread very "poor me, I'm being treated unfair", and sort of like you DESERVE to be in the air. If you would have said, "I would love to fly, and have some experience, but need some help getting people in my gym to be more supportive and help me learn new skills", you would have had a much different outcome. Just my opinion.

All i want is help. I don't think I deserve a spot.
But I also dont think I deserve to not have a chance at a spot.

I see what you're saying though, I should have chosen my words more carefully.
This is what I get for not proofreading :/

I see what you're saying though, I should have chosen my words more carefully.
This is what I get for not proofreading :/

Sweetie, but you did say that in your first post, I guess a couple people just missed it.
smile.png

I'm not asking to be given special treatment. All I want is an equal opportunity. Work with me when you work with the female flyers. If I can't hit then I don't *want* the stunt, but I don't feel like asking for a chance (even just a 2 hour practice or something) to prove myself is that big of a deal.

Yeah, but if I was a girl, I'd have 5 pages of help and positive feed back instead of 5 pages of comments attacking my dream and 3 PM's from people I don't know cursing me out, attacking my character, and insulting my skills as a cheerleader.

well that's a little uncalled for....geez

Back