All-Star March 2016 Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

http://register.varsity.com/VAS/16-scoring-rubric.PDF
Click on rubric. 36/4=9
No front

The rubric states you can use or not use front spots.

Example - my youth 3 has 18 kids. We only throw squad of 3 plus another basket and max at 5.0. We have front spots on our baskets so we have 15 athletes involved and have 3 leftover. Those 3 cannot form a basket group.

For SE, if they throw 7 baskets with fronts, that is 35 athletes involved in baskets. According to the varsity rubric, this would score a 5 as long as they throw an additional toss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See the bottom where it says "based on a traditional group of 4 people" 18/4 = 4 with 2 leftovers. You need 4 stunts to be considered "full team". A team of 35 would be 35/4=8 with 3 leftovers for "full team". A team of 36/4=9 to be "full team".

ETA: Maybe youth teams are looked at differently/more leniently...but a senior level 5 worlds team better not need or have front spots.

Last edited:
That's what I'm wondering. Why risk it? I just feel like it's not a smart competitive move, and on a team of 36 surely one other person can kick double. I've seen a lot of tumblers who just step in for that moment because they know their bodies so well. I hope that maybe panthers, and senior elite will add that 9th. Als cheetahs. I feel like ther shouldn't be any reason with the amazing routine they have, that they can't find a 9th basket girl.

My daughters small youth 3 has 19 kids

We throw 4 baskets in the opening, and then 2 additional baskets later in running tumbling when people get done tumbling.

We don't use fronts for anything.

If you have the kids to do it I wouldn't risk it, overall I'd think those baskets look good, and I wouldn't want to do less baskets just because we could.

Why wouldn't you throw the baskets or why would you use front spots? I think they (the s5 teams) could definitely do more baskets! It could only help.

Eta: not trying to sound snarky but like in the above where someone used 18 kids on a y3 with 3 baskets plus 1. She said the 3 baskets used 15 kids because they had front spots so the other 3 couldn't throw another basket.

If the front spots are needed on some then by all means use them, but could you pull just 1 front spot off to throw another basket? That way the two stronger ones didn't need front and the two weaker ones could have them? My personal opinion which is in no way professional - but even if both teams are still getting a 5 in tosses - isn't it a possibility the overall score is impacted as the judges are more impressed with more baskets and less fronts? It may only be .1 but that could be the difference in 1st and 2nd and I know I'd love to have an advantage of all the .1's we can get!

But then again my daughters team has like 18 jumps. Lol jk.
They do pike BHS, toe BHS BHS, hurdler toe toe BHS all together lol

Last edited:
See the bottom where it says "based on a traditional group of 4 people" 18/4 = 4 with 2 leftovers. You need 4 stunts to be considered "full team". A team of 35 would be 35/4=8 with 3 leftovers for "full team". A team of 36/4=9 to be "full team".

ETA: Maybe youth teams are looked at differently/more leniently...but a senior level 5 worlds team better not need or have front spots.
That wording is used under stunt quantity and not under tosses. Under the toss category it states that if 4 or more athletes are not used in the toss sequence it would not be considered squad. Stunt quantity is completely separate. Judges do not go by the stunt quantity numbers for tosses.

Yet another reason why judges have too many numbers to consider.

We throw 8 plus 2 others for a total of 10. With technique being a HUGE issue this year these teams are making sure not to give those points away. It's not that they couldn't find one more switch kick double. It's that they would rather the 8 switch kick doubles look amazing with the added front spots and then pick up the extra points later in the routine.

@Fiercecheermom beat me to it, but this is the reasoning for most I'm pretty sure. If your max baskets are 9 and you only do 8 is only drops your basket score by .2 (Max score 5 next score is 4.8). Meanwhile tech is a solid two points. Much better to eat the .2 and not risk the lower tech score than to get the 5 and have that extra janky basket knock you into the 3's for tech.

That wording is used under stunt quantity and not under tosses. Under the toss category it states that if 4 or more athletes are not used in the toss sequence it would not be considered squad. Stunt quantity is completely separate. Judges do not go by the stunt quantity numbers for tosses.

Yet another reason why judges have too many numbers to consider.

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to the fact that you were talking about tosses. My bad. That said... I do still believe that judges aren't going to look favorably on a worlds level 5 using front spots.

this may be the first time ive seen a guy flying (& competing) in a worlds routine in a main stunt section

My daughters small youth 3 has 19 kids
But then again my daughters team has like 18 jumps. Lol jk.
They do pike BHS, toe BHS BHS, hurdler toe toe BHS all together lol

You should add this to the shameful brag post. That's pretty impressive

I think judges some judges like that. I remember hearing back in 2013 SE added those two tosses to their pyramid day 2 at worlds because of feedback from judges. Don't know if that's 100% true or not, but it clearly helped

The flips are considered "skills" and the structures are not. To score high you need to do difficult and numerous skills. There are a required amount of structures needed and generally it's good always add a couple more than the minimum but teams are scored higher if they do more transitional skills (such as the flips) versus doing a whole bunch of structures. Looking at their pyramid, it has movement, creative skills, and lots of difficult spinning flips and they do more than the required amount of structures needed to max out.

I agree that it looks like a little less exciting than normal pyramids because they only do a few quick structures but I'm sure that pyramid will score very well.

We throw 8 plus 2 others for a total of 10. With technique being a HUGE issue this year these teams are making sure not to give those points away. It's not that they couldn't find one more switch kick double. It's that they would rather the 8 switch kick doubles look amazing with the added front spots and then pick up the extra points later in the routine.

Yep.

When you have 8 amazing and ONE that is just meh or mediocre (or worst case, it has technique/execution issues), it has a "One of these things is not like the other" effect.

Same with stunts.

Back