Mental Block..... : (

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 26, 2012
Does anybody have any tips on how to get rid of mind blocks? I have on right now on my round off tuck/ round off backhand spring tuck. It is so frustrating and I am on a level three team this year and I was put in the routine for tumbling and I am so nervous for the tumbling, I've been able to do them, but all of a sudden I just freak out right before I go!!! :help::(

Block out what everyone is saying and take it skill by skill first the round off then the bh then up &tuck. Doing it over and over and over again is the only way to get more comfortable.

close your eyes and picture yourself doing it perfectly. usually how i got mental blocks is by thinking too much before i throw it, so just give yourself a set of motions to do before you go so you cant think too much and just go. hope it helped :)

I feel ya! I had a mental block on round off back hand tucks for 3 freaking years! Confidence, confidence, confidence. Can't stress that enough! You will not be able to do it until you think you can do it. Think about all the times you've been able to successfully do them. I bet they out weigh the number of times you haven't. You're coach is not lying to you when they says they aren't spotting you. Trust them!

Also, maybe try a power hurdle round back hand tuck. The power from the steps might be whats freaking you out, worked for me!

Picture doing it in your mind step by step, writing positive affirmations about what you can do and how you do it and last but not least; if you can think it, say it or write it down you can do it!! Remember to keep that self confidence!

Does anybody have any tips on how to get rid of mind blocks? I have on right now on my round off tuck/ round off backhand spring tuck. It is so frustrating and I am on a level three team this year and I was put in the routine for tumbling and I am so nervous for the tumbling, I've been able to do them, but all of a sudden I just freak out right before I go!!! :help::(
Just don't over think it, your body knows what its doing. You just have to trust yourself, and your muscle memory. The first one is all ways the scariest but once you do it, it wont be as scary.

Just tell urself u can do it and picture urself doing it right before u go!! And keep your confidence level high! But the first few times get a spotter and that'll help! Good luck with getting it! Hope I helped!:)

I want to shimmy this a million times:)
woo to the shimmy count!

I'm probably not the warmest and fuzziest on mental blocks. What I said here is exactly what I've told my own cp's. Until you decide you're going to throw it...and hit it...even if it scares you to death...you'll be blocked forever. Blocks are a decision not a lack of skill.

One of my favorite quotes is, "courage isn't the absence of fear, it's the understanding that something else is more important." might've been Eleanor Roosevelt....not too sure.

woo to the shimmy count!

I'm probably not the warmest and fuzziest on mental blocks. What I said here is exactly what I've told my own cp's. Until you decide you're going to throw it...and hit it...even if it scares you to death...you'll be blocked forever. Blocks are a decision not a lack of skill.

One of my favorite quotes is, "courage isn't the absence of fear, it's the understanding that something else is more important." might've been Eleanor Roosevelt....not too sure.
After having a mental block for a long time (and over coming it-finally lol) I totally agree. You have to want it more than your afraid of it. Which is easier said than done! And you need confidence in yourself.

Have some confidence, girl! Picture yourself doing it perfectly. Practice them on a trampoline before you take it to the floor. Do whatever it takes. :) You'll get those skills back soon, I promise!

When my daughter had a block I put her in a lower level class. It removed the pressure of "needing" to do it because everyone else in the class was doing it. It worked for her and she was back throwing her tumbling in a couple of weeks.

Back