Mental blocks.. fulls

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Go back to fundamentals...drills drills drills...maybe try a new tumbling coach for a day and see if they can break you of it...i deal with mental blocks all the time...go slow dont rush anything...just go into the gym with a no pressure mindset...you will get it...keep up the work and stay positive

1000000000% agree.. I had a really bad mental block when I was in high school (I'm 6 years out now).. I was throwing doubles, and wouldn't even do a backhandspring.. I even completely LOST my full.. didn't know how to do it.. Then, I just started back at the basics.. My tumbling coach had me perfect my layout before she let me start re-learning my full.. Since then (like I said, it's been 8 years now), I will NOT do a full without first doing a layout.. Even though I have much more than a full (one to full, full to full, whip to full), I am still VERY process oriented.. Get yourself into a routine, and it will be easier on your mind.. your body knows what to do :) Good luck!!

PS. I also did hypnotherapy.. it really helped me.. For some people it doesn't work, but it really did for me.

I dont have a mental block. But how do you do a full!
hah okay, so let me clarify. I have a full, but I start rotating when I am coming down. I usually only make 3/4, and land on my knees or side. I am not scared but I dont know how to make myself twist earlier!! I dont twist until the last half of my full because If i start my twist earlier I will get lost and usually fall. So i wait until i see the floor upside down to twist so I can spot it and I have better body awarness, but I dont make it around ahah if that makes sence. I really really really need a full like asap! I have it on fast track, tramp etc. but floor.... not so much!
please if you can offer any help it would be much appriciated!

i had the exact same problem. I had a really good full, then started over-thinking what i had to do...it took me a good two months to get over it, but once i stopped thinking so much about the twisting and psyching myself out, I was able to get the "feel" of when to twist back--each athlete is different, so you have to pull when you feel like it's the right moment to pull, but when you do, drop the arm at the same side as your twisting (I twist right, so I drop / open my right arm) so your elbow is behind you, and drive your other arm as hard as you can to that same side shoulder. Make sure you keep your elbows at shoulder level tough, and look over your shoulder...it should make you twist a lot faster.

Mental blocks are thee worst! I don't usually have them towards fulls, I have mental blocks when it comes to my double. Like if I don't throw it for a week I get scared to throw it and when it comes time to actually throw it i'll freak out mid twist and just open up after my full. It can get a little ridiculous at times. I found that the more you throw something the easier and less scary it is. Also don't stand in the corner too long because the long you stand there the more you over think the skill.

There can be a lot of causes for "mental blocks" Some come because of an injury, some happen because you may have lost your center of gravity due to a growth spurt. Some can happen because of stress. You may be putting too much stress on yourself. There is a great fb page from some experts that give some additional help besides the obvious one of going back to the basics, which is a good idea. The page is called Unlock Cheerleading Mental Blocks

Best of luck and don't give up!!

I just got over my mental block literally 2 days ago. I just talk to myself before I go. "It's just a full" "It's just cheerleading" etc. You just have to set your mind to it. You can't be in the corner and say your gonna do it. You have to commit. Goodluck!

it sounds dumb but i literally tell my self in my head i can do this as im about to go and it works everytime:) believe in yourself!

when im trying to get over a mental block it always hepls me to run slower or only take a few steps. over time it gets less scary and i feel i can run faster and put more power into my full

Back