Mental blocks.. fulls

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My mental block towards fulls formed when I threw one and landed short spraining both my ankles. I literally wouldn't throw one even with a spot. What helped me was my coach saying, if you don't throw one today, you're off the team. So I got up the courage (although I was shaking i was so scared) and threw one. After that, it got a lot easier. Usually just throwing one will break the mental block.

I agree with Nicole! you have to get right up and throw it again.

welcome to my life. hahaha just relax and dont stress, start small, if you can do a handspring anywhere by yourslef, so it there, like off tumble trak onto a mat, then maybe off a panel mat onto a mat, then on floor eventually. take it in steps. dont think about doing a full right off because its not going to help. once you get your handspring, work tucks, then layouts. you have to start somewhere.

Sierra! I love that you are giving advice on how to get over a mental block... <3 lol But I agree think of one thing at a time. I had a mental block on my full. I had it for so long then i was out a while and when i came back I was so nervous to do it. It took me a while to get it back But be consistent and try to get yourself to throw it alot. Youll be fine

I dont have a mental block. But how do you do a full!
hah okay, so let me clarify. I have a full, but I start rotating when I am coming down. I usually only make 3/4, and land on my knees or side. I am not scared but I dont know how to make myself twist earlier!! I dont twist until the last half of my full because If i start my twist earlier I will get lost and usually fall. So i wait until i see the floor upside down to twist so I can spot it and I have better body awarness, but I dont make it around ahah if that makes sence. I really really really need a full like asap! I have it on fast track, tramp etc. but floor.... not so much!
please if you can offer any help it would be much appriciated!

Twisting late isn't the problem, you should always be driving your toes and doing a layout then twisting in the second half and spotting the floor, that's the correct way to full... Twisting early just causes you to pike or ball up and land short... Not sure exactly what your problem is without knowing more but twisting earlier won't solve it

For mental blocks in general I will say that getting spotted over and over will generally not help you come out of the block, you need to do whatever skill you can do by yourself on whatever surface you can do it. You need to start with the basics, go through a warm up of handstands and cartwheels and the continue on till you get to the skill that you can't do alone and work on that skill as if you have never done it before. There is no use trying to worry about your full if you won't do a BHS by yourself. Also you have to take pride in whatever improvements you make, if you wouldn't do a back bend at the beginning of class but you will at the end then you made an improvement, it doesn't matter if you used to throw a double, if you finished class doing a skill or drill that you wouldn't do at the beginning then that class was productive. Most mental blocks can be avoided by slower progressions with a strong foundation of drills, and NOT USING SPOTS

For fulls specifically you need to do great layouts on a tumble trak (preferably into a pit or crash mat) with nice high sets and hollow body positions. During the layout you need to start spotting for the floor, if your eyes aren't open it's VERY hard to land a twisting skill. Once you are able to spot the floor every time before you land your layout then you need to start looking in the direction you twist right after you see the floor. So if you twist left you do round off bhs, high set, drive your toes, hollow layout, see the floor, look to the left, if you are nice and hollow this might make your body turn a bit but it might not. Do this over and over and over till you feel really comfortable and are ready to pull your shoulder and hip a small amount and land a quarter turn. These things take time and you can't rush, if you're not ready to twist alone you're not ready to twist at all, if you're not landing on your feet then you need to back up and do whatever skill you can land

Yeah, it just comes to a point where you have to just forget it and do it! With the positive enforcement from your team and coach your entitled to a huge success ! :)

I'm not trying to be rude but I don't think "just forget it and do it" is ever very sound or safe tumbling advice

just think layout first, then full. commit to throwing and at least throw a layout and then even if you pull late your throwing. because you can pull late and still make it around. and dont ever bail.

I hate mental blocks! I fell when I had just gotten my full and was scared to do it again. So I did them on tramp constantly for days... then once I felt comfortable with it on tumble trak, I had my coach spot me and believe me..it was scary but once I did it once, I wasn't very scared anymore! You'll get it back one way or another, trust me haha.:)

If you can do layouts on the track, do layouts... when you're completely comfortable, try a baby turn.. then just keep pulling each time more and more :)

I got my full and tore my ACL in the same night.. had surgery and recovered... got my full again... yes, tore it again.. has surgery and recovered... and i just got it back :) lol.

I've been dealing with a mental block for almost ten years now. It helps if you build your confidence up by throwing it on a tumble track, or somewhere else where your comfortable and feel safe. Also, don't think full. Think layout or any other trick your more confident about. I know that saying "Just a layout" out loud before I throw the pass really helps me.

I've also known people who find that it helps if you have a coach or a teammate count for you so that you focus on the counts and not on being afraid of the pass. Tumbling to cheer music can also be helpful.

Just make sure to be patience and don't stress to much about it. It will come. :)

I have a bad mental block ! My full is perfect on the tramp. But i cant seem to do it on the floor not once ! I syke myself out and end out just doing a layout ! its like when I get to the mat I completely forget how to do it ! really scared of an injury!
HELP !!

I have a bad mental block ! My full is perfect on the tramp. But i cant seem to do it on the floor not once ! I syke myself out and end out just doing a layout ! its like when I get to the mat I completely forget how to do it ! really scared of an injury!
HELP !!

try pulling late. like think about doing a layout. then at the last second. pull. even if you only get 1/2 way around. at least you did something different. thats the hardest part, throwing the first time. dont be scared of an injury if youve never got hurt doing it before.

Back