All-Star My Issue With Comparative Scoring

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Funny thing is, NCA used to score out of 10. Plus I am shocked to hear that some gymnasts (and their coaches) are will to sacrifice some of their technique for difficulty. I have always seen gymnastics as being a culture of technical perfection.
And that culture is where the best of them come from but there's a few in every sport...

As long as it doesn't turn into a grid of sorts that designates that element X is worth Y points etc... I've seen that in Europe and it's a mess.

For example, the grid would say (using level 6 as an example), a hitch/lunch pyramid is worth 7 points, but a Swedish falls is worth 8...but then a 211 is worth 9-10points.

That resulted in every single team having a 211 to some degree, regardless of execution (there were A LOT, and I mean A LOT, of teams building it to get the 9-10points that really shouldn't have been). But because of the grid system, they got the points even if it went crashing in on itself like a house of cards.

Creativity was basically completely taken out of the equation, because everyone had the exact same routine, just different uniform and music amd maybe a little different order, but all the same skills were shown.

Back