All-Star "name" Of Gym Affecting Placement?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 15, 2011
I was thinking does being part of a certain gym ever change the outcome of a competition?

for instance, say gym A and gym B are competing against each other. Everyone knows gym A and loves them but gym B is equally as good but comes in second because they aren't as well known and repudable. does this ever happen to anyone? I'm not talking worlds as much as smaller competitions. Idk just a thought that popped into my head.

The only time it bothers me is when a well known Team A drops stunts and pyramids and Team B who has the same difficulty hits, and Team A still wins because of their name. When the both hit then I won't say Team A didn't deserve it because they most likely did.

How is it that you can determine that team A won merely because of their name? Could it have possibly been because of better choreography, timing, execution, blah, blah, blah, it could go on and on???

It happened to me once at a national competition. I hate to be concieted but we had no stunt falls or tumbling busts or anything. They had two :( It was deffinitly not fair and it was sad because it was our last competition and we were undefeated... But what can you do?

As much as people dont want to admit it, it happens all the time. It can be either the name OR even the amount of teams that a gym brings to a comp. Some wont even qualify for world bids if you dont have a certain amount of other teams competing at that competition. There is no way to stop it so just Step It Up :)

How is it that you can determine that team A won merely because of their name? Could it have possibly been because of better choreography, timing, execution, blah, blah, blah, it could go on and on???
exactly. judges can just make all of those scores so high for Team A that it doesnt matter whether they drop or not they are still going to win. As for timing and execution, if Team A is leaps and bounds better with that then I wouldnt be arguing but most the time they may be a little better but not enough to make up for dropping a stunt and still winning.

this happened to my team last year except that we were well known. it was actually the entire competition. barely any big name gyms won and most firsts were from small teams out of state. sometimes the judges are biased or they expect too much out of big names so they judge stricter for the teams they know.

Also, if they let ALL of the scoring be public (categories, etc.), then people could at least have an idea of why Team A beats Team B instead of making assumptions or making up their own reasons.
I agree 100% because as of right now I'm forced to be one of those people who fails to see why team A beats Team B and naturally would make my own assumptions and would love to be enlightened by the judges perspective so I could understand how to make myself better as an athlete.

I agree 100% because as of right now I'm forced to be one of those people who fails to see why team A beats Team B and naturally would make my own assumptions and would love to be enlightened by the judges perspective so I could understand how to make myself better as an athlete.
We would love to be better as coaches, too. I feel that I have an above average experience level with cheer scoring and there are many times when I simply have no idea why our teams win/lose. I can guess, but I would much rather know.

Yes. A certain competition company is very biased, not saying who because i'd rather not. Two years ago I competed with a very small gym on a senior level 2 team. We hit our routine the best we had ever done it, while the team that got 1st dropped all their stunts, had tumbling busts (yes, in level 2) etc. We were really dissappointed when we got 2nd, but after that we say coaches and team members of the gym that beat us high fiving and shaking hands witht he judges. Now I know this isn't because they were a bigger gym than us, it just goes to show that some companies are biased, which is really unfair.

okay well also, if a team A is well known and has more diffcituly but doesnt hit. and team B has less difficulty and hits, but team A hits? is that fair? i mean you really have to go in depth of the score sheet with maxing out and quaninty too...

Back