All-Star Nca Nationals 2021

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Trust me, the internet is undefeated in fishing out which teams retract win posts, etc.
I'm counting on the internet because these gyms need to be made public and I doubt we will see an official statement, especially since this "announcement" came from a screenshot from a coaches only page and not the EP itself.
I don't know when the powers that be will ever learn that this isn't the way to do it.....

I said it at the beginning when virtual competitions were being discussed. With the amount that was charged to participate in a virtual competition and the number of reps that Varsity has, assign a filming day to each gym, send a rep out to match the athlete with the name on the roster, send them to the mat to compete, have the varsity rep film and a gym staff member film as a back up, and then the Varsity rep is responsible to upload the video. Doesn't seem difficult or financially unreasonable. Am I missing something?

If I'm a parent and find out someone has taken the liberty of falsifying my kid's legal documentation I've entrusted them with, I'm contacting the police and filing a report. Anyone or any business that is willing to falsify legal documentation for a youth competition should not be trusted with anyone's legal documents or credit card information. If the parent was aware of someone altering their kid's documentation, that's a whole new level of pathetic reasoning and justification.

With that said, I actually understand how easily and honestly this could happen last minute at a comp when a coach is looking for a fast replacement and perhaps asks an athlete their age instead of birthday. Athletes and parents would be incredibly sad and frustrated, but I believe most would accept and eventually respect a gym owner or coach owning up to an honest mistake.
Much grace and kudos to those that own their mistakes.

If I'm a parent and find out someone has taken the liberty of falsifying my kid's legal documentation I've entrusted them with, I'm contacting the police and filing a report. Anyone or any business that is willing to falsify legal documentation for a youth competition should not be trusted with anyone's legal documents or credit card information. If the parent was aware of someone altering their kid's documentation, that's a whole new level of pathetic reasoning and justification.

With that said, I actually understand how easily and honestly this could happen last minute at a comp when a coach is looking for a fast replacement and perhaps asks an athlete their age instead of birthday. Athletes and parents would be incredibly sad and frustrated, but I believe most would accept and eventually respect a gym owner or coach owning up to an honest mistake.
Much grace and kudos to those that own their mistakes.
I thought it was an older team with license changing and athlete maybe an “adult”. .....if not them coach could just change year of bday on comp form.... definitely wrong either way and should be charged appropriately!!!

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the NCA eligibility situation, but I would encourage everyone to get the details before crucifying whatever gym it is. It could be an honest mistake (misunderstanding crossover rules), it could be deception on the part of the athlete themselves (that happened to us many years ago), or it could be what people are assuming. I just want to make sure that the right people are put in the crosshairs of the internet fury if it is warranted.

I don't know anything about the NCA eligibility situation, but I would encourage everyone to get the details before crucifying whatever gym it is. It could be an honest mistake (misunderstanding crossover rules), it could be deception on the part of the athlete themselves (that happened to us many years ago), or it could be what people are assuming. I just want to make sure that the right people are put in the crosshairs of the internet fury if it is warranted.

I would normally agree but a “poorly doctored driver’s license” is intentional.

Agreed but you don't know was it an athlete or program who doctored it? I would expect much harsher penalties if the latter.

Good point, I was making some assumptions there that could be wrong.

Several years ago, we had a from-out-of-town super-senior athlete lie and doctor their birth certificate and we didn't find out until after we had competed twice. (We notified the EPs & forfeited our wins AND our paid bid.). We have had a cross-town rival violate the crossover rules at Summit and later lose their Summit win because of it, but I am confident they just misunderstood what they were allowed to do and weren't trying to be sneaky. Again, I have no idea about any of the current NCA situations, but it is worth finding out the details before getting too worked up. Unfortunately, it can happen to anyone.

That being said, anyone who knowingly cheats should be significantly punished.

Last edited:
I absolutely hate the amount of teams that are not fully maximizing the amount of stunts in the air. I've seen so many teams have 4+ people doing absolutely nothing during the majority of the stunt sequence, and then just add those people in for like a random group ticktock and that's it. It's especially prevalent in the x-small and medium divisions.

I absolutely hate the amount of teams that are not fully maximizing the amount of stunts in the air. I've seen so many teams have 4+ people doing absolutely nothing during the majority of the stunt sequence, and then just add those people in for like a random group ticktock and that's it. It's especially prevalent in the x-small and medium divisions.

It might bite them in the butt when they go to worlds! World is comparative

The rules nowadays emphasize maximizing stunt difficulty instead of putting up as many stunts as possible. There never used to be this much hiding behind stunts and doing nothing. It used to be that a 20-member team did 5 stunts, and some teams even put up 6 stunts to show added strength, even if they were just straight-up stunts. But nowadays your stunt difficulty has to be insane and there's such a heavy emphasis on "hitting zero" that you're encouraged to do fewer stunts, not more.

Some XS teams put up 2 stunts with 5-8 people literally just standing around watching them or doing arm motions. At least have the kids tumble and enhance the routine in that way. Some teams legitimately don't have another flier or backspot, and some teams legitimately only have 11 kids to work with. But then there are other teams that could easily field a full team but intentionally shrink it down so that they only do 2 stunts. And many XS teams only do 2 baskets even if they have 3 legit stunt groups. Baskets take a lot of exertion, and if you have a stunt group skip that part of the routine, that should be seen as a sign of weakness that factors into your score.

But many teams don't have enough people that can do the skills and fit the necessary positions to simply add in another stunt group. They might have a tall flyer, 2 bases who are mismatched in size, and another kid who isn't really tall enough to backspot. So even in a mega gym, they may end up with leftover kids that can't form a stunt group.

The stunting difficulty required is extremely high, even at the lower levels. You get a lot of "new to Allstar" kids on Level 2 teams who just learned a basic lib, competing against teams that are tick tocking everywhere and maxing out stunts. So you end up hiding the "beginner stunt group" and having them do nothing instead of giving that group competitive experience stunting (which is what the lower levels should be for). But even in Level 2, you're already encouraged to show such maxed out difficulty that you end up hiding people (yes, there are Prep divisions for beginners, but it's not the same, and there are so many Prep divisions that it often feels more like exhibition than a competition).

I'm even seeing kids standing like statues in a jump formation, where the back row doesn't bother jumping. "Nuggeting" is a term that used to be used frequently in cheer to call out the kids hiding in the back doing nothing, but now it's become normalized--- even in jumps.

I wish the rules put more emphasis on quantity of stunts, even if it's not the highest of difficulty stunt. A less difficult stunt should still be seen as better than nuggeting in the back (or removing those kids from the team all together and competing with like 10 people).

Last edited:
Back