All-Star Nca's Appropriate Choreography Reminder

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 16, 2010
The following email went out to our coaches' database this afternoon. I'm posting it here also to catch as many customers as possible that won't receive it. It's specific to NCA competitions, but is a good reminder for everyone.

Coaches, Gym Owners, and Choreographers,
As you finish the first round of Regionals this season, I wanted to remind anyone attending an upcoming NCA event, including NCA/NDA All-Star Nationals, that your choreography, music selection, and uniforms should be appropriate for “family-viewing”. If the judges determine a section of your routine to not meet our standards, a warning or deduction will be issued. I realize that NCA is stricter with this policy than almost all other event producers (a reputation we're actually OK with), but it should be the goal of everyone to make sure we are proud of all-star cheerleading!
Remember, even today's most popular songs on the radio are not necessarily appropriate by our company's standards. For example, one of Beyonce's latest singles, Run The World, has been the most frequently submitted song by coaches working on choreography. While the words are not specifically inappropriate, the regular version of the song includes the phrase "Who runs this mother...” and if you are using that section in your routine, you inherently run the risk of the judges detecting the suggestive connotation and issuing a deduction (there is a clean version of the song that omits the 'mother' reference and is without risk).
Unfortunately, interpreting inappropriate choreography is subjective and 'gray' at best. My best advice to you is: "if you are questioning the appropriateness, you should probably take it out."
Creating a positive and healthy image for the all-star cheerleading industry is a priority to us at NCA and NDA. We'd like your continued partnership on this project as you work with the coaches and athletes at your gyms to ensure your routines are in compliance with our expectations.

The following email went out to our coaches' database this afternoon. I'm posting it here also to catch as many customers as possible that won't receive it. It's specific to NCA competitions, but is a good reminder for everyone.

Coaches, Gym Owners, and Choreographers,
As you finish the first round of Regionals this season, I wanted to remind anyone attending an upcoming NCA event, including NCA/NDA All-Star Nationals, that your choreography, music selection, and uniforms should be appropriate for “family-viewing”. If the judges determine a section of your routine to not meet our standards, a warning or deduction will be issued. I realize that NCA is stricter with this policy than almost all other event producers (a reputation we're actually OK with), but it should be the goal of everyone to make sure we are proud of all-star cheerleading!
Remember, even today's most popular songs on the radio are not necessarily appropriate by our company's standards. For example, one of Beyonce's latest singles, Run The World, has been the most frequently submitted song by coaches working on choreography. While the words are not specifically inappropriate, the regular version of the song includes the phrase "Who runs this mother...” and if you are using that section in your routine, you inherently run the risk of the judges detecting the suggestive connotation and issuing a deduction (there is a clean version of the song that omits the 'mother' reference and is without risk).
Unfortunately, interpreting inappropriate choreography is subjective and 'gray' at best. My best advice to you is: "if you are questioning the appropriateness, you should probably take it out."
Creating a positive and healthy image for the all-star cheerleading industry is a priority to us at NCA and NDA. We'd like your continued partnership on this project as you work with the coaches and athletes at your gyms to ensure your routines are in compliance with our expectations.

Amen. If you wouldn't want your grandma to see it, then don't put it in a routine. ;)

That policy is so subjective that there is no clear cut way to define that. What is suggestive in lets say Utah is not suggestive in california and whats normal in florida is over the top sexual in the bible belt. How can you regulate and give a deduction to something that is SOOOO subjective. I don't find the aspect of deducting points for this fair at all.

I think a few years ago NCA sent an email out (at least to colleges) that Britney Spears' "If You Seek Amy" would not be acceptable.

That policy is so subjective that there is no clear cut way to define that. What is suggestive in lets say Utah is not suggestive in california and whats normal in florida is over the top sexual in the bible belt. How can you regulate and give a deduction to something that is SOOOO subjective. I don't find the aspect of deducting points for this fair at all.
Hahaha, right? My cousins in Utah act super shocked if I wear semi-short shorts in front of them or a tank top. It's so weird.

You are correct that it's subjective and can be inconsistent. For that reason, it's in every team's best interest to stay as far from any interpretation of 'inappropriate' as possible. Even given your points, we've been very successful in curbing alot of the issues we used to have.
And the real benefit of this rule isn't in the deductions given onsite, its in the choices made during choreography season.

I understand the rule but what happens if a dance becomes more inappropriate because of the uniform that is worn (shorts that are so small they barely cover ect.)? Something may not look as suggestive if the uniform covered the athlete. I hope that this means maybe some sort of uniform regulations is in the near future.

You are correct that it's subjective and can be inconsistent. For that reason, it's in every team's best interest to stay as far from any interpretation of 'inappropriate' as possible. Even given your points, we've been very successful in curbing alot of the issues we used to have.
And the real benefit of this rule isn't in the deductions given onsite, its in the choices made during choreography season.

Those choices made during choreography season once again go back to where the choreographer is from and where the team is from. In his eyes a certain move may not be bad at all and maybe the coach doesn't think its bad. To them this move or uniform is so normal that it doesnt even cross there mind to think it is inappropriate. Then they go to a NCA event and a ultra conservitive LDS judge from Utah (p.s. I was raised LDS in Utah so i'm not being rude to the church or its memebers) is there they are going to crazy. To them its not normal at all.

I agree with you that things are getting a little out of hand It parts of the country but, there is no FAIR way to regulate and judge this issue. This is a moral issue so how does one judge morals. I know people do it all the time but, does that mean its fair. Thats were I have a problem with this policy. If someone could come up with a clear cut policy on what is and isn't than it would be ok.

I don't think its a moral issue as much as it is subjective. I agree with everything you are saying though. To avoid the situation you described with the 'ultraconservative LDS judge from Utah,' we have a guideline that the Safety Judge plus EVERY judge on the panel has to agree it was inappropriate before a deduction is given. Our judges tend to be geographically diverse, so that helps in being consistent with the interpretation. We give way more warnings than deductions for this, as its a great educational tool for teams and doesn't cost the team their placing in a division.

I don't think its a moral issue as much as it is subjective. I agree with everything you are saying though. To avoid the situation you described with the 'ultraconservative LDS judge from Utah,' we have a guideline that the Safety Judge plus EVERY judge on the panel has to agree it was inappropriate before a deduction is given. Our judges tend to be geographically diverse, so that helps in being consistent with the interpretation. We give way more warnings than deductions for this, as its a great educational tool for teams and doesn't cost the team their placing in a division.
Thats awesome and I hope these guidelines will made public so people have enought time to look at there routines and change stuff. We know how hard it can be to get the people who mix your music to change whole song sections in a timely manner.

Instead of analyzing how to get around or unfair this may be in your opinions why don't you look at the TRUTH being told to you from the HEAD OF NCA and say, "WOW thank you so much for warning me a head of time so I can avoid a potential expensive trip to be ruined bc I wanted to be too much". As said, if you THINK it might be an issue, at least for NCA, take it out! I for one would like to thank you Justin!

I think a few years ago NCA sent an email out (at least to colleges) that Britney Spears' "If You Seek Amy" would not be acceptable.
Our junior mid season had the "ha ha he he ha ha ho" part in their routine and they got deducted for it at BATC

Instead of analyzing how to get around or unfair this may be in your opinions why don't you look at the TRUTH being told to you from the HEAD OF NCA and say, "WOW thank you so much for warning me a head of time so I can avoid a potential expensive trip to be ruined bc I wanted to be too much". As said, if you THINK it might be an issue, at least for NCA, take it out! I for one would like to thank you Justin!

10000% agree. Not to mention the fact that we've all seen dance moves that are inappropriate, and I wonder what coach/choreographer ever thought it was ok to put in a routine. These are kids, and their dances shouldn't be promiscuous ever. Not at NCA and not anywhere.

Back