All-Star Nca's Appropriate Choreography Reminder

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

You are correct that it's subjective and can be inconsistent. For that reason, it's in every team's best interest to stay as far from any interpretation of 'inappropriate' as possible. Even given your points, we've been very successful in curbing alot of the issues we used to have.
And the real benefit of this rule isn't in the deductions given onsite, its in the choices made during choreography season.

Different communities view things differently to. Primarily african american teams pop and drop it on their mini teams, its not sexual its just something that they dont even think about (I used to be the only white kid at a gym in the area and we had a booty pop section in the dance, a judge commented on it at one of our comps and all the parents were super confused. They didnt see it as inappropriate, it was just dancing). Yet stingrays dropped it and I remember people at the comps commenting on how racy it was.

Point being, you cant judge something you cant clearly define. This is ridiculous.

10000% agree. Not to mention the fact that we've all seen dance moves that are inappropriate, and I wonder what coach/choreographer ever thought it was ok to put in a routine. These are kids, and their dances shouldn't be promiscuous ever. Not at NCA and not anywhere.
But, What you see as promiscuous I may see as totally fine. So how do you decide whether it is or not?

I don't think its a moral issue as much as it is subjective. I agree with everything you are saying though. To avoid the situation you described with the 'ultraconservative LDS judge from Utah,' we have a guideline that the Safety Judge plus EVERY judge on the panel has to agree it was inappropriate before a deduction is given. Our judges tend to be geographically diverse, so that helps in being consistent with the interpretation. We give way more warnings than deductions for this, as its a great educational tool for teams and doesn't cost the team their placing in a division.
Will NCA be sharing the guidelines with the public?

Different communities view things differently to. Primarily african american teams pop and drop it on their mini teams, its not sexual its just something that they dont even think about (I used to be the only white kid at a gym in the area and we had a booty pop section in the dance, a judge commented on it at one of our comps and all the parents were super confused. They didnt see it as inappropriate, it was just dancing). Yet stingrays dropped it and I remember people at the comps commenting on how racy it was.

Point being, you cant judge something you cant clearly define. This is ridiculous.
Actually you can, when you run a competition you hold the right to do things the way you want them to be done. NCA is stating that they want their competition to be held to their "standard" if you don't like it don't go. However, I feel that you will find more people in the cheer community praising this decision than disagreeing with it. NCA isn't saying "no dancing allowed" they are just saying if you THINK it might be inappropriate that they recommend you lean on the side of caution. And I recommend you not use the "race" card bc that means nothing in this discussion, the only color I see at competition is blue, the color of the floor, I respect ALL!

Actually you can, when you run a competition you hold the right to do things the way you want them to be done. NCA is stating that they want their competition to be held to their "standard" if you don't like it don't go. However, I feel that you will find more people in the cheer community praising this decision than disagreeing with it. NCA isn't saying "no dancing allowed" they are just saying if you THINK it might be inappropriate that they recommend you lean on the side of caution. And I recommend you not use the "race" card bc that means nothing in this discussion, the only color I see at competition is blue, the color of the floor, I respect ALL!

I didnt play the race card, I played the social subgroup card. Gay people have their own set of views and beliefs, as do latinos, and african americans, and christians, and jews, and people from the midwest, and people in cities, and people with education.
Its not racist, it's just a statement of a fact. Point being that every subdemographic has its own set of beliefs and morals and view of what is and is not acceptable, and Its ridiculous to make the rules reflect your own moral view point (In this case a more conservative one) when the people competing may not believe that way.
I don't think Mini teams should show midrifs. I feel that they are too young. That is my moral belief as a caretaker. However, it's ridiculous to say that mini teams will get a deduction for showing midrifs because, while that is MY OWN belief, it is not universal. IMO you should stick to judging skill and technique, not what you believe to be appropriate or inappropriate.

I didnt play the race card, I played the social subgroup card. Gay people have their own set of views and beliefs, as do latinos, and african americans, and christians, and jews, and people from the midwest, and people in cities, and people with education.
Its not racist, it's just a statement of a fact. Point being that every subdemographic has its own set of beliefs and morals and view of what is and is not acceptable, and Its ridiculous to make the rules reflect your own moral view point (In this case a more conservative one) when the people competing may not believe that way.
I don't think Mini teams should show midrifs. I feel that they are too young. That is my moral belief as a caretaker. However, it's ridiculous to say that mini teams will get a deduction for showing midrifs because, while that is MY OWN belief, it is not universal. IMO you should stick to judging skill and technique, not what you believe to be appropriate or inappropriate.
If I mis-understood your comment, my bad. However if you choose to attend a competition that says "mini teams wearing midrifs will be deducted" regardless of your beliefs, abide by them or face the consequences. I don't see NCA as doing anything wrong just giving a warning, I recommend backing off anything that could in any way shape for or fashion in ANY culture be taken offensive and watering down. If not, that's your choice but you were warned.

10000% agree. Not to mention the fact that we've all seen dance moves that are inappropriate, and I wonder what coach/choreographer ever thought it was ok to put in a routine. These are kids, and their dances shouldn't be promiscuous ever. Not at NCA and not anywhere.
At Encore in Gwinnett a girl on a team did a very sexual move and I just dropped my mouth and you heard the whole arena gasp. I can't believe her mom would be okay with that or maybe she hadn't seen her but I'll let you know this weekend at BUTBT in Atlanta.

It's as simple as...if you don't like it then go to one of the other 20 million "nationals" held this season. NCA is based out of Garland, Texas, so assume that what they deem "acceptable" will reflect that. At least NCA was nice enough to give everyone a heads up 3 months in advance so teams can prepare properly.
I am thinking this warning may have something to do with "boobgate" last year...or not...who knows :rolleyes:

There are standards that movies, video games, etc are rated on. We may not always agree but it is a guideline. NCA is placing a guideline and I can't be happier. I took my daughter out of cheer this year because I felt it was getting too over the top for my family standards. Maybe next year we can rejoin if this new trend catches on :p

There are standards that movies, video games, etc are rated on. We may not always agree but it is a guideline. NCA is placing a guideline and I can't be happier. I took my daughter out of cheer this year because I felt it was getting too over the top for my family standards. Maybe next year we can rejoin if this new trend catches on :p

Yall can't hit him with too much else. It's subjective, that why a geographically and socially diverse panel of judges must all agree on the "inappropriate" element in question. Plus, he posted a link for more detailed info regarding the rule.
So, what else can be said? I find it pretty darn accomodating for this to even be posted, so that everyone knows, can give examples and discuss.

Ive attended NCA nationals before, and there was a part of our routine that they didnt find appropriate. So Day1 we were issued a warning to take it out or we would recieve a deduction. We changed the simple move and didnt have a problem. I thought this was a fair tactic, for things that are in the "gray area" so to speak. This does however make it difficult in one day competitions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Film_Is_Not_Yet_Rated

That has caused nothing but problems as well.
This article doesn't really do the film justice, it's on Netflix, you should check it out.

Back