New Gym Owner - Looking For Advice And Equipment!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 25, 2016
After 20 years of coaching at all levels, I am opening a cheer gym of my own in the fall. I would love some advice from other gym owners. What would you tell a first time owner> What is the most important thing you could share with me? I would appreciate any advice you'd be willing to share!

In addition to advice, I am also looking to buy equipment. I am starting from scratch, so new and used would be an option. Please let me know where to start!

Welcome.

There is a market section where equipment has been listed. You could try there to get started on that.

There is coaches area but you are not eligible for that section yet.

Not really owners but definitely good resources as they have been at this long enough to own/run a gym are @cupieqt @NJ Coach @SarahS.

God luck.

**Of course it's true, I saw it on The Fierce Boards**

Most important piece of advice I can give you as a first time owner is do as much yourself as you can. If it's something you are capable of, you won't have to spend money and pay someone else. Also, make sure you have coaches you trust, and if you aren't busniess minded, have someone around that is. The cheer side is easy...the business side not so much.

I just got through my first year of having a new gym. We opened after try-outs in our area and just did tumbling classes. I can say your biggest challenge will be fighting through obscurity. Get out and get noticed in as many places as possible. Email lists and referrals will be your best friends. And beat the heck out of social media, just be careful you are not marketing as much as you are putting out enjoyable content showing your athlete's progress. Last thing, I'm almost certain you will underestimate the amount of time and energy needed to keep going, as I did. Having someone in your corner that you share your goals with and will hold you accountable for your goals is a must! Good Luck, it is definitely worth it!

I am a newbie on here, but my daughter has been competing in All Star for 5 years, though she is still young. I can tell you as a parent if my daughter was to every leave the gym we are at, these would be the things we would be looking at when selecting a gym:

1. Location and condition/quality of facilities
2. USASF Membership and Coaching Certifications
3. Your background/reputation as a Coach and History with All Star Cheer(Market yourself)
4. A well put together season information and tryout packet(this shows organization)

Also I couldn't agree more with what was said about the business side, living in Illinois and seeing as many changes/closures of gyms as we have seen in our area over the last 2 years it is imperative that if you don't have that business and/or accounting background that you hire someone you can trust to run this for you(you should make sure you always have visibility though as this will prevent you from being taken advantage of). Be prepared that people will not pay on time and you will have to prioritize/ stand up for your company and not let them walk all over you as fees are the lifeblood of your business.

Be honest and upfront with your customers and be open to communication from them, but know that you will not be able to please all the people all the time.

Back