New Gym Owner

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 21, 2014
Hi everyone!!

I am a new gym owner in Indianapolis and I am so excited that my dream is coming true. Any advice will be welcoming on from hire good coaches to competitions.....I am all ears!!!

Thanks

Welcome! Once your 72 hours is up be sure to request access to the coach's forum.
Where is your gym? I love seeing growth in Indy! Good luck.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Welcome and congrats on the new gym. Just curious what type of cheer background you have and what led you to take on such an exciting endeavor

Cheer Dad = broke dad

Opening a gym would be a dream come true for my daughters and I. As a coach and mother of two cheerleaders, I have come to understand the importance of a strong core. Everything a cheerleader does, everything strenuous anyone does, comes from a strong core. Develop a good core training system to insure great stunts and strong cheerleaders!

Welcome! Once your 72 hours is up be sure to request access to the coach's forum.
Where is your gym? I love seeing growth in Indy! Good luck.

We are located in Greenwood IN.....I am so excited but need a tumbling coach....that is my only issue....:(

Opening a gym would be a dream come true for my daughters and I. As a coach and mother of two cheerleaders, I have come to understand the importance of a strong core. Everything a cheerleader does, everything strenuous anyone does, comes from a strong core. Develop a good core training system to insure great stunts and strong cheerleaders!
Thank you for the advice!! Where are you guys located? My core program is coming off the ground...trying to obtain help from personal trainers and ex cheerleaders....

Welcome and congrats on the new gym. Just curious what type of cheer background you have and what led you to take on such an exciting endeavor

Cheer Dad = broke dad
Thanks.....my background consist of high school and college cheerleading with little competitive background. I am also a competitive dancer and have been doing that since I was 3 with an Associates in Choreography. I have been teaching for about 7 years and just stepped out on faith to open up my own. It was something have been wanting to do for years....;)

Thanks.....my background consist of high school and college cheerleading with little competitive background. I am also a competitive dancer and have been doing that since I was 3 with an Associates in Choreography. I have been teaching for about 7 years and just stepped out on faith to open up my own. It was something have been wanting to do for years....;)
You can get a degree in dance choreography?

Cheer Dad = broke dad

Hey there! I work with Rebel Athletic, the uniform company. We actually have a couple of current gym owners in the company, I don't think we have any in Indiana but I will reach out to them and see if they have any advice for you! We have actually been working on creating a blog for new/prospective gym owners to use as a resource because it is a tough industry to get started in and people need all the help they can get! My email is [email protected], if you don't hear from me soon shoot me an email.

Welcome to the new gym excitement! I am in a similar situation, albeit less responsibility than ownership. I am the head coach of a new cheer program out of a well-established gymnastics facility. This first year has been intense! What worked for us was getting a team out there to exhibition and advertise. That team formed towards the end of last season and has continued to grow and branch off a second, junior level team.

We have exercised great caution with hiring coaches and made sure to get our coaches USASF certified. Our coaching staff is the backbone of our program. Their work ethic and communication skills with the team have a huge impact on the satisfaction of our parents and athletes.

I'm happy to see a post from Rebel, as they have been a huge help in keeping us organized and ready to perform! I highly recommend Rebel for uniforms and shoes! Establishing that relationship early was extremely helpful to our gym and they continue to impress me with their customer service and reliability, even as we add on uniforms one by one to accommodate for the growth of our gym.

What has been most challenging for us this season is training athletes who are new to the sport or crossing over from gymnastics. we have had to create customized conditioning programs and spend a tremendous amount of time working on the very fundamental basics.

I would gladly share any first year experiences with you if you have questions! Congratulations!

Hi everyone!!

I am a new gym owner in Indianapolis and I am so excited that my dream is coming true. Any advice will be welcoming on from hire good coaches to competitions.....I am all ears!!!

Thanks
In response to where we find coaches - we have been very successful recruiting coaches who are either in college or recently graduated. High school seniors who are staying local make great recruits as well for the younger teams. Both require mentorship, since they likely have little coaching experience, however they are some of our best coaches. If you talk to the high school and college coaches, I am sure they would gladly make recommendations! Best of luck!

To piggy back off of the last post, Butler, IUPUI, and maybe Ivy Tech would be good places to reach out to. The competitive HS coaches could be good resources, too.

Back