All-Star New Iasf Rules

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ok wasn't going to respond your post but since you changed what you originally wrote and added some. I will say this if you got her point long time ago why did you keep bringing up things that she never mentioned or brought up. All she was stating was she finds it ridiculous that with the new/old/new rules adults cannot twist but youths can. So again if you got her point there was no reason to bring up the other issue, new IASF or whatever. Just because she didn't want to or need to talk about "the bigger picture" doesn't mean she doesn't understand or see it.

Thank you! I really don’t understand what the big deal is. Didn’t want to get into the topic of IASF vs USASF because the rules wound up being changed back and I’m a young adult studying for an exam with little time to discuss on the board! Lol. Have a good day everybody :)

Yes, the cheer/chant is the only thing we have to stand out. Most of the world does ICU style cheer with or without the cheer. Sweden this year is switching from cheer in the routines to chants before like at ICU. I don't see it going away if we make the olympics, or otherwise. It's the backbone of our sport, even though the US has strayed far away from it in allstar.

Wow, I didn't even know you had the "cheer" in the middle of the routine. Did you have that at Europeans this summer or just SM/DM? I know we have cheer in the beginning like ICU-worlds here in Norway (and have had it that way since 2008 or 2009).

Here in Norway we follow ECU (European cheerleading union) rules, and those are the same as the ICU rules as far as I know. But the IASF-rules would have had great impact on the teams actually going to "IASF/USASF Worlds", like Viqueens Spirit in IO6. It would be two completely different routines for the European comps and Worlds.
They could in theory have placed 5th (AT BEST) in nationals with a routine that is "IASF-stupid-rule-legal", and place top 3 at Worlds with the same routine. Just doesn't make sense.
Let us just be really happy they revoked the rules.

To add something
Unpopular opinion: USASF/IASF should use 15+ as the age limit for IO5/6.

Can someone tell me what’s the difference between IASF junior 4 (tiny 1, youth 2, whatever...) and USASF junior 4 ?

If team from Europe get Summit bid can they compete in USASF category?

Can someone tell me what’s the difference between IASF junior 4 (tiny 1, youth 2, whatever...) and USASF junior 4 ?

If team from Europe get Summit bid can they compete in USASF category?
IASF follows IASF rules and age grid and USASF follows theirs. There are specific bids given out based on the different competitions. It should specify at the comp whether the bids are for the International divisions or the regular divisions for Summit.

ETA: Here's the list of international division bid events, if it's one of these than unless they offer regular bids as well (I have no idea on that) they will be in the international divisions.
https://varsity.com/uploads/editor/files/PDFS/AllStar/18/Summit/INT_SUMMIT.pdf

..I'm still stuck on these rules. Has anyone actually SEEN the IASFs rules?? Not just the scoresheet?...
You have to request them from IASF. But you only get the link to them if you are a non-US member.. If you are within the US, it refers you to USASF and how to get them there. And even there you can't just find it and download it. But same rules, as the document is "USASF/IASF Rulebook."

After getting acquainted with this situation I must say that I am not cool with them watering down the levels just to accommodate some teams. My suggestion would be to just do what they did with the Summit have two (2) divisions a D1 and a D2. And NO I am in no way implying that D2 Summit athletes are lacking in any skill requirements and/or levels. Just pointing out the simple fix that was made for the Summit to accommodate small gyms without compromising the skill levels of the sport.

I find it very interesting how unpopular ICU seems to be in the US. It is so much closer to College Cheer than to Allstar. I get that . But it seems like for most Allstar People it is super unknown
Does this mean Allstar doesnt really care if Cheer gets to be an olympic sport? I am just very curious since ICU /ECU is the absolute Main Focus in Europe now

I find it very interesting how unpopular ICU seems to be in the US. It is so much closer to College Cheer than to Allstar. I get that . But it seems like for most Allstar People it is super unknown
Does this mean Allstar doesnt really care if Cheer gets to be an olympic sport? I am just very curious since ICU /ECU is the absolute Main Focus in Europe now
I follow ICU. But I'm not too sure the popularity it has in all star. I remember all star athletes and fans getting upset when the media showed a high school cheer team. They were saying this (posting tglc from worlds) is real cheerleading and what is going to be in the Olympics get your facts straight etc. and of course reading the discussion on here I knew ICU was going to be in the Olympics. And I wanted to say well you're wrong as well. Only a few posted team USA. But several where talking about all star.

You have to remember that here in the US 99.999% of cheerleaders will never have even the tinniest chance of making team USA. There are thousands of people walking around with worlds, summit, UCA college, and NCA college rings would wouldn’t stand a shadow of a chance of making team USA. I know a girl with a standing full, two to whip full, specialty running full, and who was a bomb flyer who didn’t make it because her base didn’t make the cut and you try out as a group.

ICU isn’t the main focus because we don’t interact with it. We know that none of us, or our friends, or our teammates will be on Team USA and that makes it less important to us.

Don’t get me wrong I love team USA and every year my friends and I freak out about how good they are, but they practice for like a month and we only see them once when they compete at ICU. There’s a whole season of cheerleading for us to watch and that takes our focus away.

You have to remember that here in the US 99.999% of cheerleaders will never have even the tinniest chance of making team USA. There are thousands of people walking around with worlds, summit, UCA college, and NCA college rings would wouldn’t stand a shadow of a chance of making team USA. I know a girl with a standing full, two to whip full, specialty running full, and who was a bomb flyer who didn’t make it because her base didn’t make the cut and you try out as a group.

ICU isn’t the main focus because we don’t interact with it. We know that none of us, or our friends, or our teammates will be on Team USA and that makes it less important to us.

Don’t get me wrong I love team USA and every year my friends and I freak out about how good they are, but they practice for like a month and we only see them once when they compete at ICU. There’s a whole season of cheerleading for us to watch and that takes our focus away.

This is so interesting to me. 3 of the coaches from our program are on Team Canada, and one of our all girl groups is trying out this year as well, so it's always something on the radar of our program, and I *think* the country in general. A bunch of our younger ones don't think of the goal of going to Worlds as USASF, but rather ICU because they watch their coaches do it. Granted cheerleading here is smaller because our population is smaller overall and while they tryout as a group or a pair, they don't always stay together from what I understand.

That is very informative, thank you for giving an insigut
Over here , making the National team for a lot of athletes is the only Chance to ever go and compete at a World Championship. There is only very few Bid Comps for USASF and therefore very few Teams going every year
I had the pleasure to experience both , ICU with the National Team and USASF with my Gym. Both competitions were amazing and it was a great honor to step on the mat representing Germany and our Gym.
I do think though ICU is still being underrated by a lot of people
This year was so fun to watch , the different countries are really bringing it and i actually think the Gap between USA and the others keeps getting Smaller. Especially in Allgirl.
I guess besides the aspects you mentioned, the Allstar Style is just so different

I always wanted to go to ICU worlds but the sad thing is that Scotland pulled their team after not doing so well in 2015 and haven't had a cheer worlds team since. The highest level anyone competes here is 4 so we don't exactly have the talent to pull from. If anyone wants to go to worlds it will always be through dance as that seems to be the area that we excel in (which unfortunately again I was never into pom so I won't get to go to worlds).

I always wanted to go to ICU worlds but the sad thing is that Scotland pulled their team after not doing so well in 2015 and haven't had a cheer worlds team since. The highest level anyone competes here is 4 so we don't exactly have the talent to pull from. If anyone wants to go to worlds it will always be through dance as that seems to be the area that we excel in (which unfortunately again I was never into pom so I won't get to go to worlds).

It's definitely been longer since 2015 since we had a Team Scotland team at ICU for cheer. I am thinking maybe 2011? After that Steve would probably not have been well enough to do it. Although I will say that we probably only had a few true level 5 athletes on those teams - most were able to stunt l5 but tumbles were probably l3. I think we sent just dance teams the following year.

We sent a Junior Team Scotland for 2017 (which was just JC junior 4) but not sure if anyone is going this year. I haven't seen anything anyway, but I am glad they have brought back a unified pom team for 2018. Hopefully in a few years we will have some strong athletes coming up from youth and junior who could potentially field a unified Team Scotland for cheer.

Okay, just to be clear on which divisions iasf covers:
They manage international open 5/6 and also ICU? Or is ICU on its own?
A contactperson i asked about the changes (there are teams going to worlds)
said we only compete icu but they also competed in and advanced through to finals in io5 division. Am i seeing this wrong or what?

Back