OT New Random Thread 4

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Help! New Englander Friends, I have an upcoming wedding to attend that is "Cape Cod Casual." What do I wear? Obviously not dresses I wear to Jersey weddings, but SOS. Can I just wear a Lilly dress and call it a day?

@Ashley @quitthedrama uhhh drawing a blank on anyone else but all input welcome lol

Help! New Englander Friends, I have an upcoming wedding to attend that is "Cape Cod Casual." What do I wear? Obviously not dresses I wear to Jersey weddings, but SOS. Can I just wear a Lilly dress and call it a day?

@Ashley @quitthedrama uhhh drawing a blank on anyone else but all input welcome lol

@gofriars610 @fiercerando88 @cheermomforever

I've never been to a wedding that was "Cape Cod Casual", but yes, I think a Lilly dress would fit the bill.

When I think of that, I generally think more of what men should wear than women (and if you Google the phrase, it's mostly menswear that comes up) - khakis and a blazer.

Go look at what Vineyard Vines sells and copy that :p

Last edited:

I recently saw a wedding with "garden party" listed as the attire, and in my mind those two would be similar. Probably pastels and khakis.

I've never been to a wedding that was "Cape Cod Casual", but yes, I think a Lilly dress would fit the bill.

When I think of that, I generally think more of what men should wear than women (and if you Google the phrase, it's mostly menswear that comes up) - khakis and a blazer.

yeah Vineyard Vines/J.Crew/Lilly would be fine! Just maybe a subtler Lilly print.

Yup, Lilly would be fine. :) Jersey weddings are a whole different world.

Do these people know anything about Cape Cod :D? I've spent at least part of the summer at the Cape every year of my life and my family owns a house there and I've never heard the term. My definition of Cape Cod Casual would be a cover-up thrown on over my bathing suit and flip flops. A Lilly dress would be Cape Cod Formal for me lol.

@quitthedrama @Ashley @gofriars610 @retiredl5cheer Thanks guys! My sister still gets a pretty hefty discount from Vineyard Vines so I'll look there, too. I don't like the loud Lilly prints, so if I went that route it'd be much more muted or like one of their solid navy dresses. I tend to overdress for all occasions, but I don't want to stand out, like, "oh that girl is obviously from New Jersey/the Jersey Shore." :rolleyes:

My date is in the bridal party and all I know is there is a bowtie involved. He's no help. He is from New England and didn't know what Cape Cod casual meant. Men lol.

ETA: is this too casual? to me this dress is casual but I feel like it'd work. Shop Seersucker Stripe Blocked Dress at vineyard vines (Wedding is late spring in Worcester I think. Outdoors, I think, as well.)

Last edited:
What a made up dress code. Formality of the wedding should be dictated by the formality of the invitation. Take your cues from that, though the dress you posted would be fine for a wedding in my mind.

@quitthedrama @Ashley @gofriars610 @retiredl5cheer Thanks guys! My sister still gets a pretty hefty discount from Vineyard Vines so I'll look there, too. I don't like the loud Lilly prints, so if I went that route it'd be much more muted or like one of their solid navy dresses. I tend to overdress for all occasions, but I don't want to stand out, like, "oh that girl is obviously from New Jersey/the Jersey Shore." :rolleyes:

My date is in the bridal party and all I know is there is a bowtie involved. He's no help. He is from New England and didn't know what Cape Cod casual meant. Men lol.

ETA: is this too casual? to me this dress is casual but I feel like it'd work. Shop Seersucker Stripe Blocked Dress at vineyard vines (Wedding is late spring in Worcester I think. Outdoors, I think, as well.)
I'd probably lean towards something like this.

Shop Run For The Roses Printed Derby Dress at vineyard vines

Suzette Shift Dress | 25114 | Lilly Pulitzer

Tilly Midi Fit & Flare Dress | 24584 | Lilly Pulitzer

Valli Shift Dress | 23867 | Lilly Pulitzer

I think casual when I see seersucker, but that may just be me.

It feels a little casual to me, but I'd have to know more about the wedding. Where is it/what time of day is it? I pretty much always wear a cocktail dress to weddings. The dress you posted be suitable for the rehearsal dinner though.

ETA: Worcester is nowhere near the cape and not even on the water, and the wedding sounds like it's before Memorial Day. Unless it's in the afternoon and over before, like, 6PM, I'd dress it up a bit.

I agree with @retiredl5cheer. Her dress picks look better.

Last edited:
@njallday I missed the part where it said late Spring - that's still winter here. We have had snow in May, and it has been in the 40s during the day (colder at night) on many Memorial Day weekends. It could also be sunny and 70. I suggest planning an A and a B outfit depending on the weather and layers and even a jacket if the wedding is going to be outdoors. And "Cape Cod casual" whatever that is for a wedding in Worcester is just an odd mix!

Back