High School New Skills?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 11, 2014
So we have three weeks until our first football game! The girls have learned a ton over the summer was just curious what are some skills your squad has picked up over the summer? The girls favorite skill has to be their full basket so far, working towards a kick full :)

Braced Side Somi (Sumi) Pyramid ... Just had our first game.. And crowd loved it. (Just became legal at HS level) if you have a flyer with great body control and has good braced rotation stunts with nice height... It's a crowd pleaser and hasn't been seen a lot due to the legality. Switch up stretches are very pretty too...

Braced Side Somi (Sumi) Pyramid ... Just had our first game.. And crowd loved it. (Just became legal at HS level) if you have a flyer with great body control and has good braced rotation stunts with nice height... It's a crowd pleaser and hasn't been seen a lot due to the legality. Switch up stretches are very pretty too...
Is there a video of the side somi pyramid anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The braced side sumi here looks really good. But I actually hate that stunt because like 98% of the time I see teams do it, it's not done well.
You just read my mind. I'm having premonitions already lol. I'll be watching KHSAA, FHSAA, and GHSAA this year to see how things turn out.

The braced side sumi here looks really good. But I actually hate that stunt because like 98% of the time I see teams do it, it's not done well.
Agree! I've just seen terrible ones so far where the flyers feet almost take out one bases head. I'm hoping that one day it's legal to do it with one bracer. The look of two is what ruins it for me. Just looks like a bad flip.

We will do it at practice today.. And I'll post tonight.
Is there a video of the side somi pyramid anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here we are at practice "side Sumi to back tuck toss... Mind you, we bounce more than Niki Minaj's bum in a music video in this...something we normally don't do, but we were trying to acclimate two newbies into the stunt and had a girl out who's sick.

Also, not sure how your squad has been with baskets but we learned a trick to (de block) the kick full. I don't know about everyone else but half the battle is getting through the mental block of kicking and rotating for the flyer. (See video) if you watch Meg hit her max (where the flyer usually bails and either just kicks or twists... She hits her kick full at a stretched Dancers TILT position causing her body to foreacbly turn into the full rotation. Have your flyer practice a TILT not a kick on the floor and then in the air after a ride in her basket... She will naturally start rotating into the the kick full.

Agree! I've just seen terrible ones so far where the flyers feet almost take out one bases head. I'm hoping that one day it's legal to do it with one bracer. The look of two is what ruins it for me. Just looks like a bad flip.
I see a lot of potential shoulder injuries as well.

we bounce more than Niki Minaj's bum in a music video in this
Thank goodness I'm not eating or drinking anything. I'd be choking right now.

Back