All-Star No More Double Downs In High School

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If dangerous doubles are thrown for the sake of getting a certain score at competition, why not just make deductions on mistakes matter more? Or make execution a larger part of the score? Make the risk not worth the reward.

Without really looking into this more, I say let teams that are going to compete double (so long as it is allowed within their division). Don't allow teams that aren't going to compete do the higher risk skills. Then make execution and deductions a larger part of the score sheet.

Well..... I take back what I said earlier about there being no safety changes in AS cheer... But i'm not happy about these new allstar rules either. Maybe I just hate change.

From an E-mail I recieved...some new additions! Hooray!

Give and Take

That should really be "take and give". In addition to the new restrictions, both rules committees are allowing two new classes of inverted stunts that add creativity without increasing risk.
The first is that all inversions below shoulder level are allowed. There are specific requirements in place, such as constant contact with a base or spotter and contact with two bases/spotters in a low inversion that is descending. An example of these would be a yoyo, a cradle to a back walkover, or a handstand on a double based thighstand. You can even now do a cartwheel over the thighs of someone else. All of these will allow for more creativity in choreography without additional risk of injury.
The second major addition is that we are now allowing braced suspended rolls/flips. This is a skill that is allowed for Level 3 and 4 all stars and is done with relatively little risk of injury. It must be braced on both sides by elevator preps with spotters and must have at least three people catching for a total of 12 people involved in this skill. It is not allowed to twist, so it is basically a front or back braced flip to a cradle, stunt or loading position. I get videos of these every month from someone asking if it is legal and I have had to tell them it is not. In each case, even the mediocre teams, I was given no reason for concern about the safety of the skill itself.
There are many other changes that tweak the rules in order to make it easier to follow as well as to align with the NFHS rules. One example is that we removed the rule that allowed a release transition as long as it made no more than 12 inches of separation between the top and bases. The NFHS now allows teams in braced pyramids to make up to a 1/4 turn around the bracer like our rules have allowed.

I support this. While its pretty to watch double downs and it shows great difficulty, I am really happy now that some high school teams will scores will be able to be equaled out. Maybe we will see a new team at the top. I am tired of seeing the same team win year after year and maybe with this new rule we will see some changes

Idk about your high schools but mine will still be throwing janky double downs, back tuck baskets on wood, etc
No rules are really enforced in California from what I've seen

So high school may not have double downs but at least theyre still allowed to have standing fulls and bounding skills, that's more than allstars OS allowed to do!

I wish they would consider going level 4 with it and allow doubles from 2 legged stunts....

i like it ! i cheer for high school and i think its a great thing to take them out.. because you have kids how arnt all stars and havent really cheered before and your expecting them to double .. and if you dont do it you dont really have a chance of winning .. im soo happy with this ! i dont like doubling anyways

As a high school coach I am absolutely floored about the NFHS decision about double downs. I as well as the rest of my coaching spent an abundance of time teaching our girls how to SAFELY and successfully complete double downs from both double and single leg stunts. I think it is unfair to the athletes and coaches, who are properly trained to do such skill. Furthermore, when girls get to college they are expected to know how to successfully double down from almost anything. And what about the athletes who parents cant afford for them to cheer allstar, so high school is the only place they can learn to double down. Thats taking away the chances and experience from the athlete to acquire a skill that they NEED to even be considered for almost any college team!

UBettaWerkSnap I'll repeat what I said earlier, but add that college cheer dealt with skills being taken away a few years back. If it is a knowledgeable enough coach, I think he/she would take this new rule into consideration.

Co-ed stunting, 2 and 1/2 high pyramids, and back tuck baskets aren't taught at most high schools (thank goodness!!) and are perfomed in college. Now colleges will also have to teach double downs as well. I also think that if the cheerleader is "athletic" enough for lack of a better word to make or even tryout for these teams she would have good body awareness and it shouldn't take long to teach.

Corsicab I understand what you are saying however it is still unfair to the kids and coaches who are trained properly to do the skills to be taken away from them. Doubling down also gave some teams like my own an advantage over teams who have more advanced tumbling and less advanced stunting.

Corsicab I understand what you are saying however it is still unfair to the kids and coaches who are trained properly to do the skills to be taken away from them. Doubling down also gave some teams like my own an advantage over teams who have more advanced tumbling and less advanced stunting.

I don't disagree with you there at all. I believe a lot of coaches and kids are being punished for something that is not their fault. But at the same time I see a ton of janky double downs as well as just plain ugly ones. Maybe they could do the same thing that all-star is talking about and severly penalize the doubles that are unsafe or executed well.

does this include double "twist" baskets/kick doubles???

Atleast they still have standing fulls.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

Back