Olympic Cheerleading?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

USA Cheer is not, as well as the College Stunt Association, AACCA, USASF, ICU, & NCSSE. The only NGB with 501c3 status with the IRS is the NCATA and I have verified this information with the IRS directly.

That would make sense, since they are affiliated with USAG, who (despite all their craziness) knows what ducks need to be in a row to get things done.

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Who at the NCATA knows? or Varsity? And by "knows what ducks need to be in a row" are you referring to making it a Title IX sport?

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Who at the NCATA knows? or Varsity? And by "knows what ducks need to be in a row" are you referring to making it a Title IX sport?

USAG is over NCATA, correct? USAG has been in this game (an NGB) for decades....they know what they need to do to get recognized by the NCAA, and have the advantage of already being in for gymnastics-they are not going in blindly, they've been down this road before.

No USAG sanctions their meets. The NCATA created the 501c3, and the 6 universities are members. They have a board of directors, committees and an executive director. The USAG has been tapped to give wisdom but unlike what has been said by opponents of NCATA, former cheer coaches have created this format and movement.

As soon as Varsity realizes they will NOT be the NGB and can NOT control "cheer the sport" like they have "cheerleading the activity" the quicker this process can be approved and frankly, it is about 20 years behind already.

At the high school level Michigan has been doing a sport format and sideline since 2001.

I think in a sense it's easy for people to see USAG as being over NCATA because the skills sets came from gymnastics and they are a real recognized NGB that is involved in the Olympics. Tumbling in competitive cheer is straight from gymnastics so how could the NCATA make a college sport and ignore an existing NGB very relevant to what they are doing? Very smart to get their help, utilize resources but still keep a handle on the evolution of the sport. No one wants to lose what made this so special in the first place.

I firmly believe(and I have been on 5 of the 6 campuses and met at least one administrator from all 6) that the 6 universities would have loved to work with USA Cheer if they would have been set up with the proper tax structure and free of conflicts of interest. Their hands were tied. I mean look at the some of the universities involved like Oregon for example, you think the athletic administrators there don't know what a sport looks like or how the NGB should be set up or how to work with a manufacturer of sport equipment or a sport event producer? But they also know manufactures of sports equipment don't govern a sport and they don't dictate the rules. The cheer world is underestimating these 6 universities and their commitment to our sport not only in $ and resources, but the wisdom of 6 sports departments working together to give our athletes the NCAA varsity sport experience they deserve.

I am not claiming that the NCATA is perfect or that Varsity should not be involved in the sport, just that they legally can not and will not be the NGB, nor the fox watching the hen house on safety.

No USAG sanctions their meets. The NCATA created the 501c3, and the 6 universities are members. They have a board of directors, committees and an executive director. The USAG has been tapped to give wisdom but unlike what has been said by opponents of NCATA, former cheer coaches have created this format and movement.

As soon as Varsity realizes they will NOT be the NGB and can NOT control "cheer the sport" like they have "cheerleading the activity" the quicker this process can be approved and frankly, it is about 20 years behind already.

At the high school level Michigan has been doing a sport format and sideline since 2001.

I think in a sense it's easy for people to see USAG as being over NCATA because the skills sets came from gymnastics and they are a real recognized NGB that is involved in the Olympics. Tumbling in competitive cheer is straight from gymnastics so how could the NCATA make a college sport and ignore an existing NGB very relevant to what they are doing? Very smart to get their help, utilize resources but still keep a handle on the evolution of the sport. No one wants to lose what made this so special in the first place.

I firmly believe(and I have been on 5 of the 6 campuses and met at least one administrator from all 6) that the 6 universities would have loved to work with USA Cheer if they would have been set up with the proper tax structure and free of conflicts of interest. Their hands were tied. I mean look at the some of the universities involved like Oregon for example, you think the athletic administrators there don't know what a sport looks like or how the NGB should be set up or how to work with a manufacturer of sport equipment or a sport event producer? But they also know manufactures of sports equipment don't govern a sport and they don't dictate the rules. The cheer world is underestimating these 6 universities and their commitment to our sport not only in $ and resources, but the wisdom of 6 sports departments working together to give our athletes the NCAA varsity sport experience they deserve.

I am not claiming that the NCATA is perfect or that Varsity should not be involved in the sport, just that they legally can not and will not be the NGB, nor the fox watching the hen house on safety.

I wish I could give this a full body shimmy. These Administrators are not morons, and have been around the block more than a few times. If Penn & Teller can pick up on the "Varsity owns, or has their hands in, everything" then so can these Universities. I really like this format, I like the athletic-ness (taking away the skirts, glitter and bows). I hope it grows at the college level and moves into the high school level. I think with the rapid growth of All-Star that we've seen in recent years, NCATA could be a boost for high school (not that high school is experiencing a decline).

Although NCATA and the A&T Sport are a new look for Competitive Cheer they have been developing the competitive format for over 3 years now.
No one in A&T is denying their roots are in Competitive Cheer, if anything … they celebrate this connection!
Cheer Stunts, Pyramids, Basket Tosses and Tumbling also have roots in Gymnastics, the Circus, Acro Sports, and other physical activities, however many Cheer Coaches & athletes believe they are the source of new movements every day. Keep in mind that just because it is new to you does NOT mean it is new to everyone else!
NCATA is busy in pursuing SAFE methods for all of the athletes to practice, perform and compete which will include restrictions on designated movements based upon the competitive surface, the skills of the athletes and the Leadership of the Coaches.
A&T will provide new potential Collegiate Scholarship opportunities for current High School Cheer and USASF/IASF athletes. Please note these young women are called “Athletes” regardless of the fact that Competitive Cheer, which is a misnomer, is not a recognized Sport due to requirements related to Title IX (T9) and the Office of Civil Rights (OCR), which is a discussion for another day.
NCATA still has many hurdles yet to clear before you will see A&T begin to reach into female High School sports, but rest assured all of the A&T Coaches, Athletic Directors and University Presidents are placing their efforts into creating a top quality athletic Sport by leveraging their collective professional experience.
This is an exciting time for the transition of Cheer into the Sport arena off the sideline and removed from Leading Cheers. A&T will take all of the skills of Cheer, the ones we love to practice, perform and share by using the best to develop an NCAA, OCR & T9 recognized Emerging Sport.

NCATA still has many hurdles yet to clear before you will see A&T begin to reach into female High School sports,

Just so there is no confusion, the NCATA has completes all requirements given by the OCR and Judge Underhill in the Quinnipaic federal case to meet Title IX requirements.

The only "hurdles" left are getting our industry to come together for the greater good of ALL athletes. Acro & Tumbling will reach the high school level over the next couple of years and talks have been ongoing with several state associations already, in fact 2 have contacted me to find out the differences between Acro & Tumbling and STUNT. So Miss Bee it is on the way!

Well, I'm disappointed. I prefer Stunt over A & T.

Stunt seems more like our All-Star Cheer, which we know and love.
I've watched both and prefer All-Star, NCA style over both Stunt or A & T.
I realize Cheer has to change to be accepted by NCAA, but I'd like to see
as few changes as possible. I love the college uniforms, skirts and bows.

The challenge is that until the format changes for Collegiate Cheer to represent a competitive season, followed by a post-season competition with a significantly reduced number of National Championship titles in line with other NCAA sports … the recognition all Collegiate Cheer athletes desire & deserve will remain unattainable!

Recognition by the NCAA is not necessary for the Performance Art of the current UCA & NCA Championships to continue, however without change both may disappear when Colleges & Universities withdraw their financial support for the competitors as recognition settles in for them that these titles are for something different than what they have been advertised as representing.

All of the athletes in both of these competitions and the Coaches are amazing and I agree they are very entertaining, however neither represents a SPORT! Don’t blame the Coaches or the athletes, they work many hours in preparation for the opportunity to compete, the blame rests SOLELY on the shoulders of the sponsoring organizations, UCA & NCA or one-step higher Varsity Brands Inc. (VBI).

In 1977, these competitions were sponsored for the first time at the Collegiate level by ICF, International Cheerleader Federation under the leadership of Randy Neil, and they ended with the 1981 event. In 1983, both UCA & NCA offered their versions of the Collegiate Competition for 20 teams from across the USA with only one National Title for each company or a total of two National Titles. Today combined they offer approximately 54 National Titles with only a few alterations to the format.

The current format more closely resembles some type of performance art, not a Collegiate National Championship, but don’t blame the Coaches or the Athletes, VBI must decide each year the format and the rules for this event so VBI is the change source for this event. Until a non-Profit National Governing Board (NGB) exists for Collegiate Cheer athletes and Coaches will not receive the respect they deserve for all the amazing skills they perform!

Any Collegiate Cheer Coaches interested in creating a sustainable NGB to support the Cheer Competition format, … oh wait, … somebody has already initiated that effort … NCATA creating A&T!

[;-/

Well, I'm disappointed. I prefer Stunt over A & T.

Stunt seems more like our All-Star Cheer, which we know and love.
I've watched both and prefer All-Star, NCA style over both Stunt or A & T.
I realize Cheer has to change to be accepted by NCAA, but I'd like to see
as few changes as possible. I love the college uniforms, skirts and bows.

You are not alone in this opinion, but keeping the things you are entertained with will prevent Competitive Cheer from becoming a sport.

It would be great when we are all settled on safety being the priority over entertainment value and then we can all enjoy the thrill of just watching the pure athleticism in a standardized competition format.

cheerleading should def be in the olympics. the cheerleaders work just as hard if not harder than any other sport. yes you need a whole team while in other sports is based on one person and that person only. if one person is not involved the routine willl not be right at alll. therefore cheerleading should be in the olympics

That would make sense, since they are affiliated with USAG, who (despite all their craziness) knows what ducks need to be in a row to get things done.
Haha... ducks in a row... as in Oregon Ducks... who has an awesome A&T team. I don't know if your pun was intentional or not, but it's appreciated!

With everything being said in this forum the truth is that the problem with cheerleading is... are you ready... THE CHEERLEADING INDUSTRY! Their are 350 National Championships in a given season in a given area... I once competed for a team that was 4 time national champions in one year... How rediculous does this look to the rest of the sporting world.

The first step to fixing this would be changing cheerleading for ever...

College Cheerleading: The NCAA should be over college cheerleading... NO UCA, NO NCA, NO CHEERSPORT, NO USA. One True NCAA Collegiate National Championship. One set of rules...one scoring system.

High School Cheerleading: Should be governed by each State Athletic High School Athletic Association. Again no UCA, Jamfest, NCA, Athletic or any of the for profit companies.

All Star Cheerleading: Needs to be simplified. If the USASF is to be that governing body then it must move to do away with the 150 national championship events. Instead have 1000's of qualfiers for one National Championship that is not for profit. You can keep all the Jamfest , Cheersport, and NCA you want, however there would be just 1 All Star National Championship.

The other main problem with Cheerleading is the overwelming number of uncompetitive squads. If we could require one competition for each high school cheer squad in the country.. even if it is a head to head against they're crosstown rivals at halftime of the big game...

Cheerleading as we know it will never be a sport. However it wouldnt take an act of GOD to make cheerleading of the future a legitamate sport... Excuse any gramatical errors...

Back