All-Star One Up Nationals, Nashville April 2015

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I always wondered how they feel about paying $$$ to travel to compete against the same 3 teams. doesn't that get just as old?

I know. My perspective: At least it's SOMEONE? Ex: A Twinkle win over (example) Youth Elite when you're only competing against them is still a win (as that is legitimate competition.) That CAN'T be as irritating as no one, right?

what exactly does a paid bid do for a team like them?
Not exactly sure what you meant by your question, but a paid bid automatically gets them into semi-finals at Worlds without having to compete in the preliminary rounds.

ETA: I think I realise what you meant. Well, it would cover competition fees and potentially accommodation (since they're from Orlando I'm not sure if they commute to Worlds or they'll be staying on Disney grounds). Maybe @flcheermom can answer on behalf of the Orlando gym's Worlds teams?

Last edited:
Not exactly sure what you meant by your question, but a paid bid automatically gets them into semi-finals at Worlds without having to compete in the preliminary rounds.

ETA: I think I realise what you meant. Well, it would cover competition fees and potentially accommodation (since they're from Orlando I'm not sure if they commute to Worlds or they'll be staying on Disney grounds). Maybe @flcheermom can answer on behalf of the Orlando gym's Worlds teams?
yes that is what I meant haha! that must be nice on them and the parents!

We were thinking about going to Nashville just to have fun this weekend but, when we went to book a hotel near the convention center the prices were crazy! The Downtown Holiday Inn Express and Mariott were right at $400, even a Best Western was $300. Nope, no fun in Nashville this weekend.
I was told the hotels were crazy expensive because the NRA was holding a convention which brought in 70,000 people. Plus they put on free concerts Fri night with some big name singers. Then add a cheer comp with close to 700 teams which probably brought another 25,000-30,000 people and downtown was packed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have been asked that question so many times :) If a team from Orlando wins a paid bid - do they really need it? My daughter was on Angels the year they received their first paid bid. - The paid bid is up to a certain amount per athlete. The paid bid means straight to semi-finals (no prelims). The paid bid covers the entrance fee into worlds and allows the teams to stay together on property or off-site as a team however the coaches decide just like any other team traveling would do - without out of pocket expense. There are still fees that have to be paid that the paid bid covers. The only thing we don't need is an airline ticket - but neither does any other team from Florida.

Yay! Do Angels have a bid, AL or FP, to Worlds?
Angels didn't get paid bid at this event :( However, they already got partial paid bid from another event. I also think they will do well at worlds eventhough they don't have FP. Gotta believe in Angels :)

Angels didn't get paid bid at this event :( However, they already got partial paid bid from another event. I also think they will do well at worlds eventhough they don't have FP. Gotta believe in Angels :)
I thought so but they are not on FB list under 2014-2015 bids by division

Was anyone at the worlds awards for One Up? CheerUpdates tweeted that Elite Cheer Sensation - Purple Ladies (IO6) got a bid, but One Up told me no level 6 teams got bids when I asked for clarification. I heard a rumor that they announced them, but corrected themselves and said it was supposed to be Elite Cheer - Hellcats (IOC5), which CheerUpdates did NOT tweet. The OneUp twitter accounts lists HellCats as a bid winner.

If they did announce the wrong team and correct themselves, that really sucks.

I have always kind of wondered how Y5 parents and kids (and some other division parents as well, like Large Senior at some comps) feel about paying to travel when you are pretty sure you have no one to compete against.

I know there is always that possibility for ANY level 5 depending on the comp (if it's not a bigger national), but for Y5, I feel like it has the potential to happen a lot. Like, do your kids ever get exasperated when they compete with no one? This happened with my school cheer team (the other 3 teams in the division at a small comp did not show due to inclement weather) and they hated it. I took it as a practice run for our next comp, but the kids were not thrilled.
I have to admit I was irritated to find we had no competition at One Up. We don't expect to have anyone at locals, but to fly out and get handed a jacket just for showing up is pretty lame. I personally found it to be a huge waste of $$$ and time off from school. But, I know other parents felt differently, and really enjoyed this comp. This was the first time in my CPs Y5 career that this has happened.
We did know as of a few weeks ago that we would be unopposed. Although we had heard early in the season that other Y5s would be there. I guess when there are only 7/8 teams in a division it's bound to happen.

Back