All-Star Opinions Needed On Team Name - Offensive???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I agree with many of you. I would venture out and say that whomever made this decision does not know the meaning behind the saying "Blood Diamonds"....and that it is literal.....diamonds mined with, in and used for "blood", killing, murder, and a host of other vile crimes mentioned above.
I can not respect anyone to have any educational interaction (and yes, I see coaching as an eduational interaction) with my kids that does not know this, or worse yet, have no respect for the meaning behind the saying and its representation.

Before I read what @mamarazzi said, I didn't know what blood diamond meant. But now, I don't think this is appropriate at all. There are certainly some way better ideas. If they are needed, I have some:
Pink Diamonds
Red Diamonds
Blue Diamonds
Yellow Diamonds
Hope Diamonds

Wow - I'm very glad I posted here. Fierce board is good not just for my cheer education, but apparently for education on very important world issues. I have to admit that I was completely ignorant about the term blood diamond. I knew there was a movie with that name a few years ago (which I didn't see) but other than that, I really had no idea.

The owners and coaches of the gym are very, very good people. I realize now that this was not a good decision, but I truly believe that it was a result of uneducation and not of trying to offend or hurt anyone. I have forwarded this thread to one of the owners and I trust that they will take everything that has been posted here very seriously.

Thank you again!

i guess im the only one who had never heard the term blood diamond.. :oops:
but my question is that if they didnt know the term, how in the world did they come up with it? i dont really consider "blood" a color..

They probably knew the term (maybe from the movie name?) But maybe not quite what negative feelings it provokes in people.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

i guess im the only one who had never heard the term blood diamond.. :oops:
but my question is that if they didnt know the term, how in the world did they come up with it? i dont really consider "blood" a color..
They probably (like many people on here) had heard the term and assumed it was some sort of deep-red colored diamond.

I'm betting on them thinking of the rarity of a natural 'blood red' colored diamond which is extremely rare. I cannot fathom that ANYONE knowingly would name anything after a term used to describe the horrific mining conditions of 'blood diamonds'. Like @king said it would be tantamount to naming a team 'slave cotton'. Its. NOT. OK.

Hope they change the name. Although it doesn't seem like they intentionally tried to disturb, bother, or signal out anybody, they still should fix the issue. There are many other options that can make a good team name like others have said.

Oh my goodness, I'm completely offended by the term and so taken aback that anyone would think to use it in this way. I get that they might not know the terminology, but ignorance is not an excuse, and a quick google search should have been done. I've lived and worked in lots of different parts of Africa over the last 10 years, working with orphans affected by forced child soldiering in Uganda and also with those who've been affected by conflict mining in the DRC and Zimbabwe. Most of the western world has no idea the scale and effect conflict mining has, not just those at the coal face - it has a long reaching and devastating effect on so many innocents! It's something so close to my heart and I find it outrageous that it has been used like this, they really need to rethink and quick.

I honestly thought that everyone, at least everyone that has been in high school, knew the true meaning of it since most people learn about it then. That's why I'm really surprised that an open team, as well as the coach, thought it would be appropriate.

while i did know the meaning on my own... i will say in the roughly 18 years i have spent in elementary, high school, and college, that I never once heard the term uttered out of the mouthes of even one teacher that i encountered.

so i do not completely blame them, but i very much do think they should change the name. and i vote for canary diamond :)

Back