All-Star Opinions Needed On Team Name - Offensive???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

No. Not ok. I actually have a strong opinion about diamonds in general (read a few articles on diamonds and why they're so popular- thanks DeBeers!) Don't even want one in my ring if I get engaged.

If I'm unfamiliar with a term, I search. Don't know how that got missed and ok'd..

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

CP cheers at a gym where the teams all have gem names. The two level 5 teams are diamonds (white and black). This year the gym is going to have an IOC 6 team and they were talking about names. After tossing around a few different options the owners and coaches decided on Blood Diamond for the team (they wanted to keep the diamond theme for worlds/higher level teams). I am one of the team parents and over the last week I have had a few different parents approach me and tell me that they were worried that the name could be taken as offensive.

I talked to the owners and coaches about it last night, just to bring it to their attention. I'm not sure if they will change it or not, but they did understand the concern and said they would talk about it. As one of the owners said to me, this is a customer service business and they in no way want to offend anyone.

I know you can't make everyone happy and there will always be someone who is offended by something (my high school mascot was the braves and we couldn't do the tomohawk chop because apparently that wasn't PC), but what is the general concensus about the name - offensive or not??

I think they should change the name. Quick research shows that the rarest diamond color is red diamonds - many jemewlers never even see them. As a parent I would much rather have my child on a team connected to being the rarest of them all then that of a blood diamonds . Blood diamond as @Mamarazzi said is offensive and it does not deal with anything about the quality of diamond rather the method in which it is procured. Certainly the definition of a blood diamond is not one that someone should want connected to their business. I would say they need to go with Red Diamonds - they are the rarest and they still get the color you would imagine one using with blood.

Just a thought you may want to print this thread out for your owner and coach and let them see that this name is TRULY a very poor choice.

Glad you have forwarded it to the owners and I hope they change it - just wrong. Would pull my CP from any gym using a name like that and I despise PC language but this is beyond PC imo. Perhaps they were thinking Red Diamonds? Red is the most rare diamond colour but they are not in any way the same a those termed Blood Diamonds. I would look at Blue diamonds - the Hope Diamond (most valuable still I believe) is a Blue Diamond.

For real? Even if I didn't have an issue which I do....there will be many who don't find it cute or funny.

I have personally have not heard the term but after looking it up an reading about it on here I would disagree with using the name. although some may not know others will take deep offense. my advice... try flipping the words! Diamond blooded! I think that has a little better ring to it! if not try some of the above! (insert color or nice word) diamonds :).

I think the general consensus has already been eloquently stated. Definitely choose a new name. I was horrified when I read the op but relieved when I read the intelligent thread replies.

I am with you. They didn't know and it will be changed. They can't call it heart of the ocean though, cuz Rose let Jack die because she wouldn't scoot over then threw the darn thing in the sea and that caused the diver to start chasing tornados and he loses his truck in an F5 twister and marries falls in love with Helen Hunt! That would never work! Smh

This post is verified by Chad Mulkey!

Back