Parent Advice For Coming Back From An Injury

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 16, 2012
My daughter made an Allstar Junior 2 team this season, but was moved to Junior 3 in August after working hard all summer on her tumbling. She was so excited. Two practices in, she broke her arm (specifically her humerus bone above her elbow.) She had surgery to straighten and set the bone and has been in a full arm cast. She hasn't missed a practice, but based on strict instructions from the doctor, she hasn't been able to do much. Just some stretching and walking through the routine.

We are a few weeks away from cast removal and I was just looking for any advice or experiences with the in between stage where their cast is off but they are still not cleared to return to activity. The doctor thinks because she is young (9, almost 10) that she won't need physical therapy and should regain strength just by doing exercises at home. But because she is an athlete, I want to push for the physical therapy. He is also very non committal about the return to full out tumbling and cheer. He says maybe 4 weeks after cast removal, maybe 8. My daughter goes back and forth between dying to get back to tumbling and expressing fears about returning. I want to be supportive but not pushy and of course I want her to medically be ready.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has been through this with their children and how long it took to return.

I broke my arm twice, but both times it was the ulna right below the elbow so it might be a bit different. I didn't do PT either, but just some little exercises at home. If your CP sticks with the program the doctor suggests, she should be fine. It's no fun but doing the curls and such daily will help her regain strength fairly quickly. After 6 weeks being out of the cast I was able to start tumbling again. I was a top so I had already been stunting before that time (sorry Dr White-you can't stop cheerleaders from doing what they love!! Haha).

The biggest thing I would say is to take it slowly and communicate with the coaches. Once the cast comes off she will probably want to tumble right away. Make sure she understands if she pushes too hard, it will just make things worse down the road. I went back to basics just to make sure I didnt push too hard, too fast. I started with lightweight dumbbell curls, then planks, then push-ups, handstands, round offs, etc and each practice added another skill until I was comfortable twisting again. If she is a base or back I would talk to the coaches about doing fewer reps on stunts at first. The hardest part will probably be during those first few practices she is cleared, if she is feeling pain, she has to tell the coaches. At that age they don't want to let others down, but again, she can't push too quickly. When I was getting that dull pain, I'd just stop and go condition/stretch.

I hope your CP heals quickly and can get back on the mat!! Good luck! :)

I broke my arm twice, but both times it was the ulna right below the elbow so it might be a bit different. I didn't do PT either, but just some little exercises at home. If your CP sticks with the program the doctor suggests, she should be fine. It's no fun but doing the curls and such daily will help her regain strength fairly quickly. After 6 weeks being out of the cast I was able to start tumbling again. I was a top so I had already been stunting before that time (sorry Dr White-you can't stop cheerleaders from doing what they love!! Haha).

The biggest thing I would say is to take it slowly and communicate with the coaches. Once the cast comes off she will probably want to tumble right away. Make sure she understands if she pushes too hard, it will just make things worse down the road. I went back to basics just to make sure I didnt push too hard, too fast. I started with lightweight dumbbell curls, then planks, then push-ups, handstands, round offs, etc and each practice added another skill until I was comfortable twisting again. If she is a base or back I would talk to the coaches about doing fewer reps on stunts at first. The hardest part will probably be during those first few practices she is cleared, if she is feeling pain, she has to tell the coaches. At that age they don't want to let others down, but again, she can't push too quickly. When I was getting that dull pain, I'd just stop and go condition/stretch.

I hope your CP heals quickly and can get back on the mat!! Good luck! :)

Thank you so much for responding. I appreciate your story and happy to hear you healed well and quikly. Wow, how did you start stunting so soon? My daughter is also a top but is more apprehensive to start stunting again that to start tumbling, especially level 3 stunting.

Thank you so much for responding. I appreciate your story and happy to hear you healed well and quikly. Wow, how did you start stunting so soon? My daughter is also a top but is more apprehensive to start stunting again that to start tumbling, especially level 3 stunting.

The first time I broke it I was younger and in dance, but the second time I was 16 and had been on a level 5 team for six years so flying was second nature to me at that point. I completely understand her apprehension, especially because the jump from level 2 to 3 in stunting is huge. A big part of cheerleading is mental strength and coming back from an injury can be tough. Flying is all about confidence and trust. Your daughter is a top girl for a reason. Her coaches know she can do those harder stunts, so now she has to believe in herself. She has to keep her chin up (literally and figuratively) while in the air. She also has to trust in her bases. Those 3 people underneath her have one job and that is to not let her hit the ground. She must trust that will happen.

If she is still too nervous, ask one of the coaches to spot her group for the first few weeks. If possible, try getting a group of coaches or older girls with more stunting experience to base her at an open gym. Repetitions really help to gain the confidence. Arm strength doesn't matter as much for top girls so just remind her to keep her core and bum squeezed and she will be fine!!

Two questions if you don't mind me asking: did the injury happen while stunting? That would explain much of her nervousness. And is there a specific part other stunt sequence she is more afraid of (cradling, being extended rather than at prep level, etc)? Depending on how she feels I might have some suggestions on how to overcome that apprehension.

I also recommend going slow and working with the coaches on the progression. It's important that this process is done correctly so there is no re- injury and it has time to heal! Good Luck!!

My very good friend's cp just went through this. She was 10, turning 11, but broke the same part of her arm, surgery, etc. once she got her cast off, she wasn't allowed to do any weight bearing activities for several weeks. She wasn't offered PT, but her mom pushed for it because the cp couldn't straighten her arm all the way. I think she was off it for a total of 10-12 weeks, possibly more and was tumbling again, starting first with handstands, cartwheels, etc.

Whatever the doctor's advice is for the amount of time she should wait before starting back again, follow it! Don't let cp try something earlier that that because she is getting restless or because the coaches think she is fine just because she is out of the cast. And I personally would push for PT and make it very clear to the doctor exactly what kind of cheerleading she does and is going to return to. My younger cp just came off a very bad ankle sprain which kept her out of every aspect of cheer for 5 weeks - the doctor said 4-6 weeks so we split the difference - but she did absolutely nothing cheer-wise during that time except sit and watch practice, and went to PT 3x a week which I truly believe helped speed up the recovery and strengthen the ankle so she wouldn't re-injure it. She also wears an ASO brace now to cheer to give it additional support, and is thank god pain free.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Are there elbow braces that people have used successfully for support in the beginning?

I recommend the PT. My daughter thought she could do it on her own and well, that didn't work out too well. Sometimes you need that someone looking over your shoulder...All bout motivation! :)

PT May help.. I broke my arms (humerus too) and in between when I got my casts off and when I could stunt and tumble, I worked on the dance and jumps and such, things that didn't use my arms. I also conditioned and stretched to make sure i would be able to get through the whole routine!
As for tumbling fear, I was so scared to tumble again! Just make sure she communicates with her coaches and tells them if she's scared so they can spot it, or if its hurting so she can stop. My coaches were so supportive and I think that was part of the reason I was able to get my tumbling back!
It may be hard for her to straighten it after surgery and being in a cast (it was for me) so you may end up going to PT anyway.

I tore my acl at try out two years ago. Make sure she has coaches she trust under her. For me I cheered at Cheer Athletics and my coach Joe was there for me the day I tore my ACL to the day I got all my tumbling back. Also make sure the coach is someone who understands injures and mental blocks. Having a coach like that can keep her from starting skills she still not ready for so she doesnt develop block. But also get her in extra practices so she can regain the confidence to tumble again.

Back