All-Star Plans For Next Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We've heard word that our gym can open during phase 2, which is expected to begin in June. There will be strict rules - no more than 5 athletes on the mat at any time, no stunting, no parents allowed in, one door in one door out, 6' apart, etc.

There's a gym in the next state over whom we see at comps that is just full on open. They are stunting with no masks. They are having open gyms. There is no distancing. I find it so irresponsible. I generally like this gym and I'm really shocked by this. It's all on their social media, too, so they're not trying to hide it at all.

We've heard word that our gym can open during phase 2, which is expected to begin in June. There will be strict rules - no more than 5 athletes on the mat at any time, no stunting, no parents allowed in, one door in one door out, 6' apart, etc.

There's a gym in the next state over whom we see at comps that is just full on open. They are stunting with no masks. They are having open gyms. There is no distancing. I find it so irresponsible. I generally like this gym and I'm really shocked by this. It's all on their social media, too, so they're not trying to hide it at all.
What some find irresponsible others are applauding. I am the latter.

Thank you for saying this as clearly the NE will have some sort of competitive disadvantage. Beyond that, while I recognize that Texas, Georgia, South Carolina etc are on different tracks than we are with restarting I am STILL have a hard time getting my head around cheer travel next year. Are those states going to allow large "phase 4" type events? Is there a plan B for virtual performances or something similar? I hope the programs around here can make it through this.

I'm sure Varsity was being proactive with the National Summit knowing there may still be reduced population allowed at Disney and ESPN in April of 2021. I'm sure they were being proactive when they announced Regional's in 9 different states (TN, SC, TX, KY, MA, CA, FL, MO, VA) at much smaller venues. If/when a second wave comes through, there's a much better chance of smaller Convention Centers, away from this years big city hot spots, to be open. I have no doubt they are being proactive with virtual comp ideas just in case those CC's won't be open. Stunting will remain to be the hardest challenge IMO.

I live in Atlanta, I don't look at cases since there's a lot more testing available, I look at hospitalizations. GA hospitalizations are down 38% with just a little over 900 patients in the state since May 1 when they reopened and they just shut down the convention center medical annex. So far, dine in restaurants, shopping, nail/hair/tattoo, gyms, theaters, bowling alley's, churches, daycare, dentists, elective surgeries are open, if they meet certain criteria. Many still haven't opened, and attendance definitely is down even with the reduced population criteria. I tend to believe Kemp is waiting on the next phase to see what happens a couple of weeks after Memorial Day weekend, because our hotels are sold out along our beaches. GA media continues to hype the rise in case numbers and the fact the data used to reopen was flawed, but when hospitals are furloughing staff, the majority of beds are empty, and they close the medical annex, it appears flawed data or not, he made the right decision for GA. Based on the number of out of state license plates out and about in Atlanta suburb streets right now, especially all of our new NE friends, there's a lot of people over it up there, as well.

I'm sure Varsity was being proactive with the National Summit knowing there may still be reduced population allowed at Disney and ESPN in April of 2021. I'm sure they were being proactive when they announced Regional's in 9 different states (TN, SC, TX, KY, MA, CA, FL, MO, VA) at much smaller venues.
I was under the impression a lot of those moves were already in discussion as an answer to reduce costs overall and get youth out of the "Summit" in Orlando more so than just a response to Covid. While smaller they still fit thousands and I haven't seen anywhere that the size of these events will be limited.
f/when a second wave comes through, there's a much better chance of smaller Convention Centers, away from this years big city hot spots, to be open. I have no doubt they are being proactive with virtual comp ideas just in case those CC's won't be open.
I hope so, along with guidelines for how you socially distance at cheer competitions. If this happens again in Jan-Feb, I highly doubt it will matter whether the convention center holds 20,000 or 5,000. That will still be too many people indoors at once for many states. And there are also states that limited (and are still limiting) admission from hotspot states and/or require a 14 day quarantine upon entering.
Based on the number of out of state license plates out and about in Atlanta suburb streets right now, especially all of our new NE friends, there's a lot of people over it up there, as well.
I'm over it too, believe me I am. Just listening to most experts who expect a resurgence next year and seeking visibility on if that happens, what cheer looks like without being fully shut again.

I was under the impression a lot of those moves were already in discussion as an answer to reduce costs overall and get youth out of the "Summit" in Orlando more so than just a response to Covid. While smaller they still fit thousands and I haven't seen anywhere that the size of these events will be limited.

Rumor has Disney opening at 50% phase 1 and 75% phase 2, no time frame given on phases. We are all assuming here, but Varsity had to plan around the possibility that DW may still be at reduce capacity in April, especially if there's a second wave. Taking away Youth age and reducing bids is the most logical plan to work around the possibility of reduced capacity at DW. If CC's have to be used for medical annexes for a second wave, there's the chance only those attending Regional's would be impacted if DW can continue operating at reduced capacity. I would agree this has probably always been in the works, but cost and timing would be the major profit obstacles in expanding to multiple venues for Regional's. The current very poor tourism market has given Varsity the upper negotiating hand and perfect window of opportunity to do this, especially if they have venue capacity restrictions and aren't required to fulfill high levels of hotel room bookings, or park hoppers in DW case.

Per GWCC's website on reopening: "GWCCA is preparing protocols that address physical distancing rules in public and meeting spaces, attendee flow, maximum capacity, registration, and food and beverage queueing." Varsity may have to restrict capacity. Again, no one knows, but since these Convention Centers are used for emergency and alternative care use, EP's are going to have to get creative and have a few options up their sleeves.

Back