OT Poolside Reads

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari!!! It just came out a few weeks ago and is fantastic! He worked with a sociologist to look into the way that relationships form in today's society, why things work or don't work for guys/girls, online dating, Tinder, etc. Basically it's a true research book presenting really interesting information backed up by facts, but written in a comedic way. I'm single with no desire to date right now and I absolutely loved it. The only downside is that it's brand new and only available in hardback.
I'm working through Fun Home by Alison Bechdel. Yes Please by Amy Poehler and Bossypants by Tina Fey are two other enjoyable reads.

Thanks y'all I will check into them! Happy reading :)

I listen to audiobooks at work but recently I've finished:
- Orange is the New Black by Piper Kermin
- Yes, Please by Amy Phoeler
-Seriously, I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres
- I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai
- Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell
- The Residence: Inside The Private World of The White House by Kate Andersen Brower
- Freakonomics by Stephen J. Dubner and Steven D. Levitt

I recommend all of them. They're great reads and they'd all be great to read when relaxing by the pool... Malala's is my fav though.

Next up is Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. It looks really interesting!

bringing this thread back because I need help finding new books!

looking for an easy, but enjoyable read. I really love John Green, Jodi Picoult, and similar authors.

I recently finished The Ship of Brides by JoJo Moyes, and I really enjoyed it! And if you haven't read Me Before You by her yet, I loved it.

Another one I read recently was Dandelion Summer by Lisa Wingate and I thought it was a good, easy summer read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- The Residence: Inside The Private World of The White House by Kate Andersen Brower

I recommend all of them. They're great reads and they'd all be great to read when relaxing by the pool... Malala's is my fav though.

Next up is Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. It looks really interesting!

I second that on Freakonomics. I read it as a choice read for my English class. It turned out to be my favorite book of the whole year!

I second that on Freakonomics. I read it as a choice read for my English class. It turned out to be my favorite book of the whole year!

The authors of that book also wrote "SuperFreakonomics" and "Think Like a Freak". I haven't listened to those yet but they might be good if you liked the first one.

And since you liked Freakonomics, I think you'd also enjoy Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. It's a lot like Freakonomics but it looks at how successful people got to the places they are now because of random factors in their life like what month they were born, what year they were born, what religion/nationality they are, etc. it's really, really interesting! It's sound boring but it's not. At first I was like "this book sounds awful, how exciting can a book written by some guy called 'Malcolm Gladwell' be? That's like the most boring name I've ever heard. And 'Outliers'? Eww, I hate math." But I was proven wrong, I liked it better than Freakonomics. Totally recommend it!

The authors of that book also wrote "SuperFreakonomics" and "Think Like a Freak". I haven't listened to those yet but they might be good if you liked the first one.

And since you liked Freakonomics, I think you'd also enjoy Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. It's a lot like Freakonomics but it looks at how successful people got to the places they are now because of random factors in their life like what month they were born, what year they were born, what religion/nationality they are, etc. it's really, really interesting! It's sound boring but it's not. At first I was like "this book sounds awful, how exciting can a book written by some guy called 'Malcolm Gladwell' be? That's like the most boring name I've ever heard. And 'Outliers'? Eww, I hate math." But I was proven wrong, I liked it better than Freakonomics. Totally recommend it!

In that choice read I was talking about, Outliers & Think Like a Freak were actually other options. I'm really thinking about reading Outliers after I finish my summer reading since it seems so interesting.

In that choice read I was talking about, Outliers & Think Like a Freak were actually other options. I'm really thinking about reading Outliers after I finish my summer reading since it seems so interesting.

I loved Stiff! I read it to mentally prepare myself for a year in the cadaver lab, but I think it's a book everyone should read in their lifetime. and I will be getting cremated, in case you were wondering. you'll understand why after you read it.

I loved Stiff! I read it to mentally prepare myself for a year in the cadaver lab, but I think it's a book everyone should read in their lifetime. and I will be getting cremated, in case you were wondering. you'll understand why after you read it.

I'm starting Stiff on Monday because I need to go get it from the library lol. I listened to a short preview of it where she talks about the plastic surgeons practicing with heads. She got to the part about the necks and how the heads were cut off and the preview stopped. I was grossed out but intrigued. I'm really excited to start it!
There's a book on the Red Market (black market for body parts) that I'm dying to find.

Anything and everything by Brené Brown. She's funny, brilliant, and extremely relatable. I'm reading Daring Greatly right now and I love it. I watched her TED talks and became a HUGE fan of hers. I loved what she had to say about vulnerability/shame/connection so I bought all of her books haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bringing this thread back because I need help finding new books!

looking for an easy, but enjoyable read. I really love John Green, Jodi Picoult, and similar authors.

Try "Fan Girl" by Rainbow Rowell. I loved "Elenor & Park" by her so I decided to give Fan Girl a shot even though the summary didn't sound like something up my alley... I read the book in one day, read it again the next day, and then bought it. Easy YA read, lovely and fun.

I just finished the Witness by Nora Roberts. I am in the middle of a great Romance book-The Guest Cottage by Nancy Thayer.

I'm still plugging away at The Witches trilogy by Deborah Harkness. About 2/3 through book two. Non-cp has surf camp tomorrow and Friday so I will be one with the Kindle under my umbrella.

Back