OT Potter Puzzle

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Apr 21, 2010
Lets see who can solve this...then add your own

What is ironic about the initials on the suitcase at the end of the movie???

JKR is just full of all sorts of amazing word play. I took 10 years of Latin (from 7th grade through Sr year of college) so I'm as close to fluent as it gets. It came in very useful while reading these books because the roots of many of the spells and other wizard words are Latin and it was very interesting.
Many of the members of the Black family are names after stars of constellations (Sirius, Regulus, Andromeda, Bellatrix). The last name Malfoy starts with "mal" which means bad in Latin. Lucius comes from the Latin word "lux" which means light (pale coloring).
Remus Lupin: Romulus and Remus were twins that were raised by wolves, legend says they founded Rome. Romulus was Lupin's code name on the radio program "Potterwatch" in Deathly Hallows. Also Lupin is from the Latin "lupine" which means wolf.
The English word severe (meaning strict or stern) comes from the Latin word Severus.....as in, Severus Snape.
There are more than I could list here! I should go through the books, re-read them, and make a long list!

@MissBee - we could go for days on the Latin word play: "Arresto Momentum" - stop motion, "Veritaserum" - Truth liquid, "Reducto" - shrink (which I never understood why it made things blow up massively, in the movies, but whatever.)
Part of the reason I loved the books so much was because the proper names and spells weren't unfamiliar. I always found humor in them - Diagon Alley? Diagonally!

JKR is just full of all sorts of amazing word play. I took 10 years of Latin (from 7th grade through Sr year of college) so I'm as close to fluent as it gets. It came in very useful while reading these books because the roots of many of the spells and other wizard words are Latin and it was very interesting.
Many of the members of the Black family are names after stars of constellations (Sirius, Regulus, Andromeda, Bellatrix). The last name Malfoy starts with "mal" which means bad in Latin. Lucius comes from the Latin word "lux" which means light (pale coloring).
Remus Lupin: Romulus and Remus were twins that were raised by wolves, legend says they founded Rome. Romulus was Lupin's code name on the radio program "Potterwatch" in Deathly Hallows. Also Lupin is from the Latin "lupine" which means wolf.
The English word severe (meaning strict or stern) comes from the Latin word Severus.....as in, Severus Snape.
There are more than I could list here! I should go through the books, re-read them, and make a long list!
I love love love it!!!

Yay harry potter! I wasnt sure if we were allowed to talk about it here considering it has absolutely nothing to do with cheer haha But I love all of these. I wish I had a brain capable of writing every little detail like JKR. She is truly incredible.

The names and authors of Harry's schoolbooks are great too... "One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi" by Phyllida Spore, "Magical Drafts and Potions" by Arsenius Jigger (arsenic...), "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" by Newt Scamander (newt and salamander)...

Back