OT Potter Puzzle

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
JKR is just full of all sorts of amazing word play. I took 10 years of Latin (from 7th grade through Sr year of college) so I'm as close to fluent as it gets. It came in very useful while reading these books because the roots of many of the spells and other wizard words are Latin and it was very interesting.
Many of the members of the Black family are names after stars of constellations (Sirius, Regulus, Andromeda, Bellatrix). The last name Malfoy starts with "mal" which means bad in Latin. Lucius comes from the Latin word "lux" which means light (pale coloring).
Remus Lupin: Romulus and Remus were twins that were raised by wolves, legend says they founded Rome. Romulus was Lupin's code name on the radio program "Potterwatch" in Deathly Hallows. Also Lupin is from the Latin "lupine" which means wolf.
The English word severe (meaning strict or stern) comes from the Latin word Severus.....as in, Severus Snape.
There are more than I could list here! I should go through the books, re-read them, and make a long list!

Anybody that speaks latin is my new hero.

I take latin at my school too, and i hate when people say it's a dead language. It's living through so many different languages and is the basis for MANY MANY languages! It's alive and well in the hearts of those who learn it :)

I just saw it again last night and payed attention to these... very fun.

i think im gonna watch all of them before i go see it again

WARNING: THIS POST HAS SPOILERS. Just in case you haven't read a book that came out four years ago. :)

Voldemort, Snape, and Harry all represent the brothers in The Tale of the Three Brothers. Voldemort is the first, with his thirst for power, Snape is the second with his longing for a women who has passed, and Harry is the third with his only wish being to survive.

Fred and George were born on April Fool's Day.

Dementors are allegories for Jo Rowling's clinical depression she suffered from while writing the first book.

Quidditch's name is from it's three balls: Quaffle, Bludger, and Snitch.

The Mirror of Erised is desire spelled backwards. The inscription around it reads, "Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi". Backwards, this is, "I show not your face but your heart's desire."

The color of the spell "Expelliarmus" is red; "Avada Kedavra" is green. Gryffindor and Slytherin's colors are red and green respectively.

Seven is the most powerful magical number. The reason Ginny is such a powerful witch is because she's the seventh child.

In French, Voldemort means "flight of death" or "fly from death".

Harry, Ron, and Hermione's wands are made of holly, ash, and vine respectively. These woods correspond with their birthdays on the Celtic calender. Draco's hawthorn wand does as well, though this was unintentional.

"Mosmorde", the spell to make the Dark Mark appear, means "take a bit out of death" in French.

That's all I can think of right now...clearly I'm not a Potterhead. :cool:

WARNING: THIS POST HAS SPOILERS. Just in case you haven't read a book that came out four years ago. :)

Voldemort, Snape, and Harry all represent the brothers in The Tale of the Three Brothers. Voldemort is the first, with his thirst for power, Snape is the second with his longing for a women who has passed, and Harry is the third with his only wish being to survive.

Dementors are allegories for Jo Rowling's clinical depression she suffered from while writing the first book.

The Mirror of Erised is desire spelled backwards. The inscription around it reads, "Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi". Backwards, this is, "I show not your face but your heart's desire."

The color of the spell "Expelliarmus" is red; "Avada Kedavra" is green. Gryffindor and Slytherin's colors are red and green respectively.

Seven is the most powerful magical number. The reason Ginny is such a powerful witch is because she's the seventh child.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione's wands are made of holly, ash, and vine respectively. These woods correspond with their birthdays on the Celtic calender. Draco's hawthorn wand does as well, though this was unintentional.

"Mosmorde", the spell to make the Dark Mark appear, means "take a bit out of death" in French.

Love Ginny, but I didn't think she was anything above average? At least not in the books.

Love Ginny, but I didn't think she was anything above average? At least not in the books.
I think it's more implied than outright stated she's pretty good, at least for her age. The hints to her Bat-Bogey Hex and whatnot. :) If you want the interview where Jo said it, it's here, about halfway down the page: http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2005/0705-tlc_mugglenet-anelli-3.htm

"JKR: The backstory with Ginny was, she was the first girl to arrive in the Weasley family in generations, but there's that old tradition of the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter and a seventh son of a seventh son, so that's why she's the seventh, because she is a gifted witch. I think you get hints of that, because she does some pretty impressive stuff here and there, and you'll see that again."

I think it's more implied than outright stated she's pretty good, at least for her age. The hints to her Bat-Bogey Hex and whatnot. :) If you want the interview where Jo said it, it's here, about halfway down the page: http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2005/0705-tlc_mugglenet-anelli-3.htm

"JKR: The backstory with Ginny was, she was the first girl to arrive in the Weasley family in generations, but there's that old tradition of the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter and a seventh son of a seventh son, so that's why she's the seventh, because she is a gifted witch. I think you get hints of that, because she does some pretty impressive stuff here and there, and you'll see that again."

i definitely didn't pick up on that lol.

I could read these all day!!! 785938262485896 shimmies!!!!

"Fly" is the swedish word for escape. Maybe just a coincidense?

Back